“Great choice for central KL”

Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #4 of 348 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed December 8, 2011

Four night stay with my wife.

Plusses: Staff very polite and efficient, enormous and very impressive breakfast spread and the infinity pool overlooking the park is the best hotel pool in KL, bar none. The location is great and if you request a Petronas Tower view then you never tire of pulling back the curtains in the morning.

Minuses: Rooms very comfortable and well appointed but beginning to show their age a little in places although at a casual glance they are fine. Overcharged at Mandarin Grill restaurant (for two bottles of wine when all we had was two glasses) although when pointed out the wine charge removed altogether - good customer service!

In summary, a great city centre hotel where we were well looked after. I would return.

Room Tip: High floor, Petronas Tower view.

Reviewed December 6, 2011

Mandarin oriental is fast becoming our top hotel chain. With club room access, we got some top attention and additional services including breakfast, views of Petronas, five garments cleaned, tea, and cocktails. They were so worth it for the peace of mind in sanitation and the excellent excellent service. They were so sweet and staff had great memory. Across from top mall Suria and 10-16 ringet taxi ride ($3-5 usd) to our destinations. Views of the park and lobby lounge was relaxing and refined too. No complaints here!

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank Sf903
Reviewed December 6, 2011

I am a member of MOKL's Elite Club since Dec 2010. I stayed a night on Dec 3rd in this hotel to redeem my complimentary room voucher. They gave us the Deluxe Park View room which was quite nice. It is quite spacious, equipped with 42" flat screen TV and DVD player. The bathroom is also spacious with separate tub, shower and toilet. The view from this room is one of the best you can get in KL. Basically, the room is nice.
But if I had to pay for the room on normal rates, I would definitely think twice. Yes MO is the best hotel in KL but you can get 80% of its quality for 50% of its rates elsewhere, you definitely need to reconsider whether your money is well spent here. There is also NO free wifi/Internet in room. You have to pay RM68 p/day to have access. This being a 'business' hotel, I find it quite absurd to charge your customers that high for such an inexpensive service. Since this a premium 5 star establishment, the in-room bar prices for chocolates are also 5 star premium. I had a good laugh when I saw the prices i.e RM16 for a canned Lipton Ice Lemon Tea, RM 22 for Red Bull. Its not unusual for hotels to charge more for basic things like these in their in-room bars but the ones in MOKL really takes the cake.
The Spa is not so good either. A free 60 mins session was included in the membership so I decided to give it to my girlfriend to try. She had more pains and sores on her body AFTER a massage session there rather than BEFORE. We won't be going there again for sure.
As for the food outlets, I had a wonderful dinner in Wasabi Bistro, the Japanese Bistro located in basement 1. And I also had a good breakfast in Mosaic. The food outlets here are good, I have to admit.
I will stay here again but only if I decide to renew my Elite Club membership next year. On normal rates, I don't think so.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with views overlooking the park. If you choose the city view, a good chance you'll...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Tghadi
Reviewed December 5, 2011

We stayed at the Mandarin Oriental for one night each side of a holiday to Vietnam / Cambodia.

On our first stay we arrived at about 8.30am in the morning after being awake for over 24 hours after a late flight out of NZ. The greeting we got was exemplary, our room was ready, and we had been upgraded to the Club Floor.

The room was great, with stunning views of the Petronas Towers. The decor a little outdated, but a nice big room, with a very comfortable bed and nicely fitted bathroom, did I mention the view??!!

The pool area is also great... with an infinity edge overlooking KL city and nice garden bar.

There is a wide range of restaurants and bars. We chose to have a few drinks at the Casbah (Very cool, arabian styled bar) and dinner at Lai Po Heen (Cantonese), the food was devine.

The location is perfect, adjacent to the KLCC Train Station and shopping centre.

Our return trip was equally as good, and we would certainly recommend the Mandarin Oriental, KL.

1  Thank Cathandco
Reviewed December 5, 2011

Number of star rating just simply shows us the pysical proof of how rich the hotel are, how many amenities that they have or ease of access. For an event/ meeting/training planner , MOHG has been one of my worst nightmares. The facility was great but need some attitude lesson esp for the sales people. They maybe no.1 but in term of friendliness and hospitality, well nothing more nothing less than a peacock.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank jojie_shahfri
Reviewed December 1, 2011

We like all MO hotels and have stayed at many throughout world and experienced many buffet meals at the in house Restuarant ' Mosaic' which was less than we expected. We arrive early around 7pm and frankly the food looked as though it had been plated up for hours.It looked dry and tasteless not what we have come to expect from MO operations. For example we choose to try the shelled scallops - they were difficult to extract from shells and absolutely tasteless. We noted later that they were removed from the display and replaced with other shellfish. Tom Yum soup was devoid of any flavour notwithstanding being freshly made..

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Aussiebd
Reviewed November 30, 2011

First of all the pros of staying in this hotel:

- Probably the best location in central KL with the Twin Towers shopping mall just next door, with a nicely landscaped park area next to it. No shortage of restaurants and cafes.
- Overall good service from all the staff.
- Nice afternoon tea if this is included in your room package.

The cons:
- My biggest complaint is that I think the hotel taxi service is a big rip off. Upon checking out and asking for a cab to the Subang airport (which is much closer than the international airport), I was asked if I wanted a hotel limo cab or just a 'normal' taxi off the road. I asked for a normal cab and one was called for us from the line of cabs just waiting on the road across from the hotel. I was told by the hotel that their limo cab would cost RM150 which I felt was expensive for a 20-25 min journey.
To our surprise, before getting into the 'normal' cab off the road, we were told we had to pay in advance the amount of RM150. We stated that we asked for a normal cab but was told that this was a normal cab but was charged at hotel rates. So we declined and fortunately there was another cab dropping a passenger off and we took that cab instead, which cost RM60.

If the hotel really wanted to make money off their guests on this service, they should at least offer a proper sedan car, rather than a small MPV type vehicle called from the street, which is clearly not a 'limo cab'.

- Wifi charges of RM68 per day. At a room cost of over RM600 per night, which is hardly cheap by Malaysian standards and a hotel which supposedly has 5 star standards, this is taking things a bit far. I felt that the hotel had no genuine considerations for their guests other than making them pay for every possible 'extra'.

- Room and bathroom were spacious, though furnishings are basic and dated, with the curtains not being cleaned for ages, as they were quite stained.

If the Mandarin Oriental wants to preserve their reputation as a top hotel to stay in KL, they should buck up and not only rely on their location and previous reputation.

3  Thank HannLyn