“Free upgrade to the Club suite!”
Review of Hotel Istana

Hotel Istana
Ranked #28 of 350 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We were very well looked after at this hotel. We were only there for 1 night but received a free upgrade to the club suite for the night. Breakfast and service was fantastic, and the price was very affordable. Walking distance to many attractions and public transport. Big thumbs up!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelIstana, Manager at Hotel Istana, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

It is with great pleasure to read your review knowing that we have lived up to your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Till then, have a pleasant day ahead.

Management

Write a ReviewReviews (4,028)

Reviewed November 18, 2013

The hotel is very well located, close from raja Chulan Monorail station, close from bukit bintan area. It is a good spot to discover Kuala Lumpur. The staff is super friendly, helpful and polite. The room is a bit old fashion, but spacious and comfortable. The only drawback is the bathroom which need to be renewed (there is some mildew in the shower). The pool area is comfortable and quiet (it is a real pleasure to enjoy it after a day in the hot KL).

Room Tip: I would recommend you to avoid the room x01 to x04, at least at the lower floor as they are a bit no...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
HotelIstana, Manager at Hotel Istana, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Reviewed November 17, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Istana between 12th - 15th of November 2013 and these are my recent experiences there while traveling with 5 other guests.
I'd also like to mention that this was my third time staying at the Hotel Istana and after having experienced several other hotels with Club Rooms and Lounge facilities I can honestly say that the Hotel Istana Club Lounge packages are hard to beat based on two things, Price and Customer Service, and since this is a review, i'll say this upfront there were no major issues, there were only a few minor picky things which I laughed off.

Check-in is now on the 20th floor in the relocated club lounge, my companions and I are immediately given chilled refresher flannels and seated. It took the sting of the hours of flight out from me with an overwhelming feeling of being "Welcomed" ensued. Or in my case, it was a Welcome home to something familiar.

But then suddenly my sweet serenity turns to error.Their computer booking system must be old or only partially linked, they misquote my arrival date, I'm like WHAT! so I trawl through reams of A4 print out confirming my booking, adopting into this pathetic defensive posture. Yet they took it in their stride, talked it through, and I guess they sensed I was upset. Or more correctly embarrassed. I was on the verge of losing it over a glitch that was nobody's fault. These guys were just doing their jobs, and then proceeded to bend over backwards so that there were no hard feelings. I felt like such a tool. Humility is a great thing and I just let go. Everything that followed was easy.

So I go to my room on the 19th floor and BAM! the porter is there a minute behind me with my 25 kilos of Vietnamese made to measure clothing. The air conditioner is already on and the room is set to 21 degrees, oh my.

I check the curtains, praying for a skyline view, Ah crap!, a three times veteran at the Istana and never once had a view of the Petronas towers.

And then I look around my room, noting the age of the room and how dated the decor actually is compared to the dozen or so hotels I've been inside since first staying here. I've come to expect more. I can forgive it because it's also familiar and I have fond memories being in these rooms on two other occasions. So here I get picky over the details, But don't worry this will all make sense in the end so keep reading as it's all about the details.

On my day of arrival, while napping, one of the staff politely knocks and kept knocking rousing me from slumber, to which I'm offered a fruit bowl as a welcome gift. How thoughtful.
Now house keeping obviously do their best, my bed was always made and nothing was ever out of place, but maybe the staff are new, so they miss things.
Here's some details.
1. Only provided conditioner and not actual shampoo which I thought was funny. (I brought my own)
2. After day two, the room safe forgets my key code.
3. The bathing towels were not replenished on one occasion
4. The complimentary bottled water was not replenished on one occasion
5. There is no mini bar or snacks laid out.
6. The fridge is brand new, only there is no mini bar, no snacks. I put a bottle of complimentary water inside the fridge for three hours and it's still not cold.
7. The TV is a brand new Sony 40 inch panel, only issue here is they've dropped all the cable TV channels they used to have. Wheres Star Movies? How am I gonna stay up with The Walking Dead and Homeland.
8. Only two of the three elevator on each wing are functioning, they are not connected, so it's a game of chance to discover which one will arrive.
9. Internet is only provided in rooms via a ethernet cable, so pack a travel router.

And thats about all the gripes I have, really thats all.
Here's the good stuff.

1. Downstairs, the sunken lounge, you can play hide and seek in cozy corners while listening to the band from 9pm to 1am every night. And this is the hardest working cover band in Asia, they are fantastic. Came over and chatted with us, took requests, man, very cool.
2. Like wardrobes are to women the showers here are the best. The shower rose beams a massage of hard hitting water. The heat doesn't run out, the pressure is perfect so much so i can use the shower wand and the head - AT THE SAME TIME. Amazing right.
3. The breakfast is an international buffet of delights. Of every hotel I've stayed the breakfast here is unbeatable.
4. The sports-bar is fantastic, we've come to enjoy the rapport of the staff here and the manner in which they will playlist music as well as going out of their way to help you find updates to that game you've missed.
5. The Club Lounge, I dare you to find another team as flexible as this one, afternoon canapes to the ritual 2 hours of power that is the sunset drinks, oh man. The food and all the drinks laid out before you, beer, softies, spirits. All yours.

Now saving the best till last here it is, we had a midnight flight, we explained the situation to the Club concierge and he played it off like it wasn't an issue. They let us keep two of the five rooms we books until 6pm that night. Can you believe that?
So I go to check out at 6pm and then i'm encouraged to stay for happy hour and to enjoy the canapes and drinks.
The club lounge even attempted to organize a transfer bus for the six of us, (but we were leaving at different times that evening), but this effort alone is worth the mention.
When we roll out of there, the senior staff (who remember us from last visit), give us all a warm hug and make us promise we'll be back. And I do.

Ok, let me tie up this review to it's conclusion.
Will i go back, Yes.
But I hope it won't be as familiar.
The rooms are indeed dated. Yes, renovations are taking place as we speak.
But they don't need to change the actual hotel, just the rooms.
They don't have to be bigger but the design elements need to be brought up to modern hotel expectations. The rooms are like a standard room of any other hotel I've stayed at. So this needs to change.

The price for the Club package is unbeatable, still the cheapest in KL and the breakie is worth the fractional price increase, it's not a lot of money, but it carries a lot of bang for your bucks.

Then there's the thing that money can't buy, the Customer Service.
As many times I listed these little things which I chose to pick on for feedback, I must also note the amount of times that staff approached me in the halls or inside the hotel just to see if I had wanted anything, "How are you?". Or like my house keepers favorite expression was "Is there anything else you need?", how about some more bottled water? She returns with five bottles anticipating my travel companions needs, as they're using my room as a base for our last few hours in the hotel on the evening of our flight. Amazing.
Then extending the use of the room for six hours, for free.

There's more I could say and I surely want to but the Hotel Istana is so good at getting all the important things right that all I could pick put were the little things, some minor details to be sure, that when interspersed with the other little details, you know? the really meaningful stuff, it makes your heart glow.

I hope you choose to stay here.

Room Tip: Choose a Club Room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank birdhausb
HotelIstana, Manager at Hotel Istana, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience at Hotel Istana Kuala Lumpur City Centre. We are very pleased to know that you have enjoyed your recent experience with us and hope to welcome you back, soon.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

I Would Like To Say Thankyou To Staff In Club Lounge 20th floor Miss Halifah And One Of The Male Staff Member Mr Zayam(Might Be Spell Wrong) We Used To Call Him Uncle He Was Playing With My Childrens As Well.
Miss Halifah is Excellent In Customer Services And Very Helpfull All The Time I Recomend Hotel Management To Give Her Award Or Incentive For Her Outstanding Service
I Love The Hotel Location Being In The Heart Of At The Bukit Bintang Area. . The Room Was Good But Toilets Are Still Not Good Condition I Found Hairs On Towel Reported To Counter But No Positive Response Recieved No Appologies Even. Staff At The Restaurant Who Don't Smile At All And Seem To Be Unhappy With Their Job In Serving Breakfast. I Never Saw Any Of Them Smile In MY 2 Time Stay Of Having Breakfast At The Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms In Club Lounge Are Good But Some Rooms Have 2 A/C One We Can Controll In The Room But Other...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Greetings from Hotel Istana Kuala Lumpur City Centre.

It was truly a delightful pleasure to host you at our hotel. Your kind comments have definitely inspired us to continue to provide quality service to all our guests. Till the next time, may you have an awesome day ahead. We hope to seeing you again with another pleasant stay.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Been to KL many times & each time choose to stay in different hotels just to get the feel of different ambience but Istana has given me & my family a feel of VIP feeling ~ We feel great even from the first step into Istana ~ all the staffs are so friendly ; from the reception to front office to house keeping ...etc. It's really a good feeling of having that kind of special attention. The room is of average size but comfortable. But I would say I do love the design of the bathroom ~ huge & with good amenities. The lobby area & swimming pool area looks welcoming & relaxing too. However, I would like to comment that ie. during my recent stay there, on one occasion, I actually left my room key(card) in my room when locked the door. I went down to the info counter and make a request for another card & automatically given one extra card after I mentioned my room no. ~ just feel that a bit lack of security here ~ would suggest that the front office should instead asked for my IC to proof that I am really the room guest (unless maybe they are 100% recognised that I am truly that room guest). Other than that I would say everything is great !

Room Tip: rooms facing klcc perhaps
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
HotelIstana, Manager at Hotel Istana, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are pleased to know that you have had a pleasant stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Istana Kuala Lumpur City Centre in the future.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Stayed at Istana on a company offsite for 3 nights in October. Very impressed with the hotel.. rooms were big, bathroom was spotless and amenities were good. Buffet breakfast was superb, and timings were also favourable from early morning till 11 AM.

The hotel is situated just a minutes walk from the party places and dining spots... plus taxis are readily available outside.

Overall a very nice stay and definitely recommended

Room Tip: Take rooms ending with 37... close to the elevators, or else you face a long walk to your room
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
HotelIstana, Manager at Hotel Istana, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Greetings from Hotel Istana Kuala Lumpur City Centre.

Thank you for your lovely review. We are very pleased to have served you well during your stay with us recently. Your valued feedback surely will give the extra boost to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Till the next time, may you have a pleasant day ahead.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Magnificent hotel , staff extremely friendly , Room spacious well equipped, well situated,Breakfast buffet good quality. nothing was any trouble to staff. fromreception to porters concierge etc.Would definitely go back.Our only criticisms would be inthe bathroom where the shower wall requires some attention and the mirror back peeling. Good otherwise with double hand basin and seperate toilet. Also with 23 floors and 550 bedrooms only 2 of the 3 lifts worked so that there was often many people waiting around for quite a while on some occasions. Other wise well worth the 5* rating

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings from Hotel Istana Kuala Lumpur City Centre.

We look forward to welcoming you again.