“Fabulous location”
Review of Hotel Istana

Hotel Istana
Ranked #22 of 346 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I loved this hotel. I was here for 4 nights for a conference. I arrived at some ungodly hour in the morning so it's lovely to be attended to by lovely, enthusiastic staff. That lobby just screams luxury when you walk in. My room was a nice size, not as big as others I've had, but certainly not small either. What I LOVED however, was the bathroom - it was almost the same size as my room - it was HUGE! Decor a tad outdated but that's just me being fussy. My bathtub was the size of a spa bath with twin vanities - I was surprised because I'd pre-booked a "single" room - looks like I got a family room perhaps - not that I complained! It's an easy walk to local restaurants and also night-life which was handy. For the one night that I dined in on room-service, food was quick and delicious and you HAVE to try the New York style cheesecake which was easily one of the best cheesecakes I've ever had!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel Istana

Reviewed January 17, 2013

This hotel is a few meters walk from the mono rail and therefore is close to everything. The rooms are small, but have everything you need. Bathrooms are a touch on the old side, but still nothing to complain about. Breakfasts were delicious! The pool was freezing, but the kids still braved it... Rooms have the most beautiful view at night. We had a lovely view of the petronis towers. Great value for money!!!!

Room Tip: The higher up the better... Make sure to stress arrival time as we were made to wait hours for our...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Arrived and redirected to the 20th floor club lounge. What a nice surprise did not know our travel agent had obtained this for us. What a smooth check in. Staff are very polite and friendly. The club lounge is an oasis, teens loved the free wifi. Rooms were clean and nicely appointed. House keeping is very fast in answering any request, (extra towels, bath robes etc). The pool is clean, only disappointment was the tennis courts, they are in need of refurbishment, which we hope will happen by our next visit. The location is great, just walk down the new walk way to KLCC or catch the monorail to get to Pentaling (china town). Taxis from the hotel are expensive so haggle with the red taxis outside of the hotel. Will definantly stay here again

Room Tip: Get into club lounge. Happy hour 5.30 to 7.30pm is great.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We had a few issues with housekeeping here, lack of maintainence and checking of room equipment basically, but they were eventually sorted by Norman Gerard the duty manager, who was highly competent and very professional in the way he goes about it. The rest of it was great. The rooms are quite large and lobby is really something. The pool area is also great;well away from the dining room and well attended. I met a few people here and most of them were staying for the second or third time. The location is also excellent. The only down side is the crazy prices they quote for taxis. Just walk out the front and get your own.

Room Tip: Make sure everything in the room works before you accept it.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Hotel is lovely and the staff were so helpful and friendly
Food was great at the restaurant and value for money but we found
Drinks and food in the Lobby were a bit expensive.
Thanks to Audrey and Mifti for looking after us so well.

Room Tip: We got a free upgrade to a deluxe room which was great as we stayed there for a week. Rooms at the...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Susan M
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I have to say this will be the last time I will stay at the hotel. We have been going to this hotel due to its quality of service and the whole part of staying in a luxury and traditional hotel, however time and again during these 3 days my disappointment has been proven right.

Among these 4 rooms we had nothing was standardized. Only 1 room were provided bathrobes. The quality of bedroom slippers were pathetic. Despite booking the room from a tour agent, I really felt like the quality of service and room given was wholesale and low standard. Even the door handles were not replaced!!! Despite these in 2 rooms bedside lamp switch was stuck. I had to change the electric kettle twice because once it was either leaking or the insides were rusty. I wonder where the basic safety of the hotel went?

Also realised there were no newspapers being delivered to the rooms in the morning which i believe is a basic must in a hotel in such a popular city.

The response of staff to issues definitely lack urgency. The toilet pipes were leaking after the first night. I had to mention it to the operator 3 times. By the last time at 10pm it was too late to have maintenance to take a look at the pipes. Since the bathroom was already wet, new bathmats were required, when wanting to return the wet bathmat, the gentleman was reluctant to do so. There is clearly no ownership to any duties of the staff.

Security was clearly overlooked in the hotel. You can simply get a room key saying the room number and without any verification. My identification were not even required while checking in, hence no records of actual guests is in the hotel.

Despite all, the staff were definitely polite and courteous as always. Not one failed to wish you good day upon crossing paths. The breakfast service were definitely attentive and efficient, this goes from the cooks to the waiting staff. The staff is a good asset of the hotel but not the system. All staff encounters were pleasant. They were always smiling and had a positive disposition.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank trufflelover15
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Stayed at Hotel Istana for 2 nights when I visited Kuala Lumpur. I was boarded in the club room at RM335/night.

As I arrived, I found reception environment very relaxing. The staffs were very cordial and greeted with smile.

I was directed to the club lounge on the 20th floor for check in where the staff behind the desk carried out usual paper work while I enjoyed a cup of relaxing coffee in the lounge.
My club room was on the 19th floor with a cityscape view.

The room was clean and very spacious, with nice relaxing decor. The bathroom was very big and comfortable. Few lights here and there were not working; however that was not a bother.
The room did not have Wi-Fi, only wired Internet, which is ok if you have Laptop; but not so should you wish to use Tablet or smart phone. A large TV was also there; however channels were limited.

The Club lounge on the 20th floor had a relaxed environment and complementary Wi-Fi. Minor variety of complementary food and drinks during B/F, Afternoon Snacks, and evening cocktails were available at the lounge.

The breakfast spread at Taman Sari had nice variety.

But the best part of the hotel was its location. Located close to “Bintan Walk”, the most happing place of the city; the whole place could be found to be lively till very late in the night. The hotel, being well connected to the Monorail station also made travelling easy.

Overall, the stay was very pleasant and the staffs were very friendly. I recommend it.

Room Tip: The hotel has very good web site. Check out from there
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business