“Excellent service, good location”
Review of Hotel Istana

Hotel Istana
Ranked #28 of 350 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed December 24, 2012

A superb customer service by the front office team esp Azrul, Farina & Audrey. The bellman is forever friendly n approachable at all times. Hd a wonderful in room experience, Saiful n Hafiz who delivered our food showed a warm service!! And not forgetting the warmth n friendly voice of the malay lady who answered n took our order through d phone ( forgot her name).

Overall, our stay was a pleasant one. It would be evn better if the hotel could provide more cable/tv channels. And oh yes...complimentary in-room WiFi please!!! :) :)

Kudos to the management of Istana Hotel for having such a great team!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (4,028)

Reviewed December 22, 2012

I was deeply impressed when I walked in to the hotel, but when I got an upgrade staying 7 days in a row continuously. The breakfast was something out of this world and I could have stayed in the dining hall all day. The hotel just make sure that they are there to serve unlike most hotels in Europe where they think they are the customers which I can never understand.

Room Tip: Make sure you negotiate a deal before you buy the rooms as there is always room for a bargain.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Lucy_Speed
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Have stayed at the Istana Hotel on four occassions. On every visit the staff ( who are very highly trained) have been very welcoming and kind. Nothing is to much trouble. The rooms are excellent value and very clean.
Breakfast starts your day with a smile that gets better as the day goes on.
Hotel location is perfect for getting around the beautiful city of Kuala Lumpur.
If you do not like the Istana, stay at home as nothing will please you.

I cannot wait for my next visit

Room Tip: In a budget room you will live like a Prince In a suit rooms you will live like a KING
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dennis H
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Stayed in 2 deluxe inter-connected rooms with my family at a higher floor for 2 nights. Had to wait almost 1-1/2 hrs for check-in, since one of my inter-connected room was not ready. The rooms were very spacious with a view to Petronas Twin Towers. The washrooms were spacious and well maintained. The beds were comfortable, soft and good for sleep. Buffet breakfast in the hotel had several options. The lobby area was nicely mainatined.

The location of the hotel is excellent and an added advantage- very near to the main shopping district, Indian restaurants etc. The KL Tower is also within walking distance. Overall good stay.

Room Tip: Higher floor with view of Petronas Twin Towers
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sandy_JSR
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Stayed here last week. Its is very near to the main shopping district (Bukit Bintang). Close to some 24 hour Malaysian cafes and a street of bars (Jalan Alor).
It is also reasonable value for money. I stayed 3 nights for approx £60 per night. But, don't expect 5* quality or service o the type you will find in Europe or Dubai etc. The hotel is a little old and the service is not that good. I twice asked for a spare card as I left the one I had in the room and neither time did reception even ask my name, let alone ask me to prove who I am, which is a basic and very bad security failure.
I was happy, though, as I got a central location for a reasonable price. The room was clean and serviced regularly.

Room Tip: Try to get one that points out front so you can see the Petronas Towers.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I have to say this was the most unsatisfactory hotel experience I have had. I booked a deluxe room because the room photos clearly indicate that deluxe rooms have views of the Petronas Towers, whereas "guest rooms" photos do not. I arrived at the hotel at 3:15pm and was advised that I had been allocated a room on the 5th floor. When I asked about the view, I was told that the room did not have one and that this was "subject to availability". I queried this given that the photos indicate otherwise. After a period of silence, I was informed, quite tersely, that if I waited for 45 minutes, I could have a room on the tenth floor, once the room had been cleaned. I was shown to the room at 4:50pm. The room had a view of the tip of the towers. While the lobby and other areas of the ground floor are nice the room was quite faded and dated and definitely more 3 star than 5 star. It was icy even though I turned the air conditioning off for the entire time I was there. I did not eat at the hotel. Free Wifi is theoretically available in the lobby area however I and had serious difficulties accessing the Wifi. I sought help from other guests in the lobby. They stated that Wifi has been having to try repeatedly for 1 to 2 hours before access was available. The night before departure, the reception desk booked me a taxi to KL Sentral for 6 am the next morning. This was done with Budget Taxis, while I stood there. The next morning I informed the valet a the entrance to the hotel of the booking. The valet told me that the hotel does not make bookings for taxis to KL Sentral. I told him that reception had made the booking the previous night and he repeated his assertion that the hotel does not make these bookings. He went away for a minute and then a battered looking taxi drove up (not Budget Taxis) a minute or two later. The valet had a conversation with the driver and then informed me that the trip would cost 20 ringgit. I queries this as as the taxi was a meter taxi and had a sign "no bartering". The taxi drove off. A Budget Taxi drove up a minute or so later, agreed to take me to KL Sentral by meter - fare 6.8 ringgit. I echo the advice of another traveller... spend less for similar quality or spend more if you want a 5 star experience.

Room Tip: If you want a reasonable view of the towers, you need to be on a very high floor eg. 18 to 20. Other...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 13, 2012

have stayed many times " Istana '' since 1986
last time ws Nov/Dec 2012
excellent , convenient location
Club floor can suggest you try anytime
service is 'super' - all club floor staff
housekeeping. Mr Monir does a superb job -
floors 21 & 22 - they have gr8 twin tower views also
he has the right personality for his job ///// deserves a pay raise(management note..)
I'll stay gain In Feb. 2013 - bday celebrations in KL. :-) thanks

Room Tip: higher floor .. views
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends