“great place to have a romantic dinner”
Review of La Vie En Rose - CLOSED

La Vie En Rose
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

nice setting, great place to bring your girlfriend for romantic meal. bread is good there and the beef cheek is good as well.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Despite previous negative review, we had lovely brunch at this restaurant(if the restaurant dont' allow outside food, then don't bring it. Use a phone, call ahead and ask before any disappointment. Duh!) The setting was simple and classic. Was greet by the chef himself upon arrival. Quite a selection on the menu. We decided on 2 appetizer, 1 clayfish soup, 1 duck leg confit, 1 Sunday's brunch special Croque-monsieur, and a dessert. Chef was having doubt that we could finish, but we did. I have to say, all the food was excellent. The duck leg confit was one of the best I had. Nicely cook with hanuka honey as sauce, and the truffle mashed potato was to die for. Definately coming back again.

2  Thank DeMuar
Reviewed November 12, 2012

LVER came highly recommended by my friends and colleagues from the expat community. Having recently returned from London, I was skeptical as to how authentic it would be here in KL. Regretfully it turned out to be one of the worst dining experiences I have had here, despite my initial enjoyment of the evening. I decline to comment on the location and accessibility of the venue as it was raining heavily which has a big impact on many stand-alone venues, so my focus is on food and service.

Bread was lovely -fresh, warm and crusty. We had to request butter - came slightly hard as if straight out of the fridge but thawed soon enough and was deliciously herby.  Crayfish bisque was a delight down to the last drop while the foei gras creme brûlée was a dreamy play of taste and cloud-like texture. Gorgonzola salad also went down well with the contrast of melted cheese and crisp greens. Most of us had steak - cooked well although although nothing spectacular, marrow was a tad undercooked for my preference. Truffle mash potato rescued the main - I could eat a whole plate of this on my own! Surprisingly, the duck confit - a classic and popular French dish - was poorly executed. Skin was soggy instead of crispy while the meat somehow managed to be bland yet leave a salty aftertaste in your mouth.

Service is where things went completely downhill. I was not expecting a  Ritz-Carlton standard of treatment, most good places here have their share of awkward or stiff staff. However, I would like to make a few pointers that might help LVER avoid upsetting its local clientele again in the future, particularly where the maitre d' is concerned:
i) When there is a birthday celebration, most KL-ites like to bring their own cake. We are more than happy to order desserts or even pay the cake equivalent of 'corkage'. Please do not act like some crime or major fraud attempt is taking place. I can name several other European fine-dining restaurants here in KL where they graciously accommodated this request. There is a simple and elegant solution for such things.
ii) People here enjoy taking photos, esp when it is clearly a special occasion. If you are politely asked for your assistance in helping to take a group picture, or two, pls do not brush us off hoping we will not ask again. We  are happy to wait a few minutes if you are busy.
iii) Relating to point i), I was unaware that my friends had been told off at the start of the evening regarding the cake they had kindly brought for me. It seems they were told that I could blow the candles out but not eat the cake on the premises(??!?). In any case, song was sung, candles were blown and cake was cut. I decided to take a bite of my slice and the others decided no harm in following suit. The French maitre d' stormed over and angrily berated my friend for committing the supposed offense. My friend was naturally taken aback, and embarassed at being told off like a naughty 5 yr old in public. Needless to say, we made a swift exit soon after. This is no way to treat a paying customer.

Ironically, the next day a separate group of friends asked to take me to dinner here this weekend. However, I insisted we go elsewhere. Not only will I not be returning, but also feel compelled to share the experience, this review being one channel to do so. As someone who loves food, I can normally turn a blind eye to most other things and will tell my fellow diners to manage their expectations. A real shame in this case.

9  Thank CocoKit
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Went there with some close friends. Getting there was a challenge as there we no signage whatsoever. Also, we had to make a really sharp u-turn followed a short climb up the narrow hill to get to the restaurant. Food was ok. Was expecting a lot more for the price we paid for.

1  Thank Mummy_Moosa
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Went to this restaurant with a couple of friends to celebrate one of our friend's birthday. We chose this restaurant as it was recommended by some people. Bad from the start - asked the waiter and the Maitre'd twice, to take our group photos, none would comply. Ordered starters and mains. My duck confit was bad, way too salty for human consumption. Steaks was okay, although they were some mix up with the sauces. We brought a little birthday cake for our friend (it was from her favourite bakery). The maitre'd told us that we're not allowed to bring any outside food. We told him that we have just spent close to RM1K for the food bill, surely a small cake is ok. He allowed us to cut the cake, but went berserk when the birthday girl and some of us wanted to take a bite. He rudely reminded us of the "no outside food" policy in a harsh tone, in front of other diners. Never felt insulted and humiliated like this before. This is not our first time dining in a fine-dining restaurant, and we have traveled the world over . Each one of us have lived and worked in Europe for more than 10 years before settling back in Malaysia. His action and the way he talked to us as if we have no money and not qualified to eat at the restaurant. His action is completely out of order. Definitely not coming back, and not recommending this restaurant to anyone.

7  Thank MsAzy