“Very good quality for such price”

Submarine Guest House
Ranked #22 of 344 Kuala Lumpur B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Great localisation (it's the city centre, underground, bus stations are close), nice and helpful staff. It's cheap, it's clean and you'll get coffee and some simple breakfast.
It was quite loud during the night.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Adrian K
There are newer reviews for Submarine Guest House

Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

This is a nice place, good located in the heart of the city. Rooms are clean and so are toilet / showers, but they (it's combined) are very small. For a person taller than 175 cm a sitting down on the toilet is a bit of a problem. I'm 187 cm so it wasn't very comfortable. The manager is a helpful friendly guy. Not many guest from Western countries the five days I stayed there.

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank Nipeno
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I stayed one week in a hostel room in this guesthouse. The room had two bunkbeds and a single, ac, carpeted floors which were vacumned daily. The furnishings were spartan but I appeciated that as it allowed room for everyone's personal items. I could not have been happier staying in a five star resort. The guest house was very located to amenities and transport, a mini breakfast was included with complimentary tea, coffee and water, and a large fridge was there for the guest useage. I felt welcomed the moment I rang the doorbell until I left To sum it up, clean, friendly, safe, affordable. Can't do better. I would go again and recommend this guest house for value. The only improvement that would have made it a five star in my review would be the bathroom/shower a tad larger. It was more than a squeeze and difficult to balance keeping things dry.

Room Tip: if you value privacy take a private or twin, if you don't mind company take gthe dorm room as I...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank easygoingtraveller16
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We tried to find a cheap place in KL for a large group and found this hostel through this site.

We were placed in a room for 7 people, 3 bunk beds and a single bed, each with a pillow and blanket. There was an aircon and 3 sockets in the room and no lockers. Shower room and toilet were provided outside and they were tiny. I'm a 5 ft 3 inches girl yet when I sit on the toilet, my knees are already bumping on the wall. I could not imagine how people taller than me would use the toilet.

Walls and floors are thin. When one of my friend got down from the upper bunk bed and lost his footing, he landed a bit awkward on the floor and the whole floor shook! So it was very difficult to move without disturbing the people downstairs with your footing, as walking creates some noise too.

Location is near Petaling Street (Chinatown) so the place was full of cheap restaurants. However, I was a bit surprised arriving at night as there were a lot of sewer rats and homeless people outside. I would not recommend this area for female travelers.

Room Tip: Keep a lock in handy for your bag as they don't have lockers.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank kahelluna
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is definitely Kuala Lumpur on a budget. For $20 or so a night in such a cosmopolitan city, you are getting just the basics: no towel, shared bathroom, room, possibly with a window, but ac. odd combo. Not much else, though the wifi comes in very handy for planning, etc. the location is exceptional, especially for first time KL visitors. Walking distance to the wonderful amenities of the bird park, museums, etc. walking distance to markets, great Indian and local food, etc. the place will not win design awards, but the Mac tac floor might win you over. Absolutely avoid the front rooms looking out to the street: yes there are windows, but they face the street on which every city bus you can imagine converges. It is a little awkward to find and once you do, the guest house is on two floors. Definitely not for mobility impaired folks as there is no elevator. My husband and I were comfortable, me less so, but the price was right and the location central. Basic, but okay.

Room Tip: Do not get a room at the front with window: traffic noise!!!
2  Thank Merrianne
Reviewed March 21, 2013

stayed here 4N. While the location is conveniently close to the metro, the immediate area gave us a bit of pause. As we arrived late at night, there were bums sleeping on the street and around the corner from the hotel. During the day it seemed fine enough. From the reviews we read that the rooms were windowless and we found this to be preferable as we wanted to rest a bit and with the sun and noise it's a bit harder. When we arrived we received a room with a large window towards the back. The room itself was comfortable but as soon an the sun rose, we were woken by the blinding sun (the curtain is very thin) and the street noise. The second night we moved to an interior room without windows or noise and slept much better e en though the room was smaller. The hotel takes up 3 floors of a building, shoes must be removed outside, no towels or toiletries are provided, sheets are provided, bathrooms are shared and breakfast is toast and tea/coffee. We stayed on the same floor as the reception and found it a bit awkward since the bathrooms/showers were right next to the reception desk and it was hard not to imagine they were very aware of our comings and goings. The owner/manager was very nice. Internet was okay. Rooms were not cleaned during our stay.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a windowless room if you plan to sleep in.
1  Thank Sarah C
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Submarine Guest House. We stayed 3 nights and had no problems. The rooms are clean, AC works fine, shared bathrooms are nice and clean. The included breakfast is literally just toast with jam but who doesn't like toast? Owners are very friendly and helpful. You can keep your bags here after you check out if you want to do more exploring. On our last night, there was a REALLY loud group/family staying here. The walls are thin so their loud talking and in the morning, shouting to each other down the hall, was very annoying. Instead of letting them stay and getting money for at least 3 rooms, he made them leave for the comfort of his other guests. Definitely reccomend this place! **If you don't get directions before you get here, you'll be lost for ages searching for the guest house!! Not fun at midnight in Chinatown. From the front of Central Market, it will be the first road on your left across from the Buddhist temple.**

2  Thank Leilanijane