“Thumbs up from a local”

$71.00*
and up
Kuala Lumpur Food Tour Through Chow Kit
More attraction details
Owner description: Let us share our passion for Delicious Malaysian Food with You!Simply Enak is now operating in Georgetown, Penang! We provide food tours and cultural experiences in the Heritage Zone of Georgetown as well as the outskirts of the city. We also provide tailor-made tours to your liking and requirements. Join our food experiences now by writing to us! Looking forward to eat with you!
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Thumbs up from a local”
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Being a local who adores food, looking for hawkers galore has never been a problem at all. But as I've been splurged with so many renown choices to pick from, I ve been longing for a food experience as a totality, not only to savour yummy food, but to experience the culture altogether. when a friend referred me to simply enak's dine with the local, i immediately sign up with high expectations. I ve been in Malaysia most of my life and I m certainly a hard nut to crack. I was so wrong. Not only did i taste the best homecooked Malay meal in a cozy home, the hospitality was beyong my imagination. Pauline can even tell that i needed a second helping of the chicken rendang. How attentive can she be?! And the host was a great cook, hands on to every detail and he showed us how he whipped up the dishes with traditional methods and utensils i never seen in my life. Great work simply enak. I am a local Malaysian, and the dining experience still surpassed my standards. Thanks to the regular postings on new food tours, i have been a great fan since.

Visited March 2012
Simply_Enak, Owner at Simply Enak - Food Experiences, responded to this review, May 27, 2012
Dear Local,
Happy to hear that you enjoyed your food experience with Simply Enak.

I believe we, Malaysians are spoiled with the rich cultural diversity at home.
There are abundance of food choices out there and there are never short of invitations to frequent these places. But dining at a friend's home , eating and sharing comfort food made of traditional recipes, in combination with good company is always different and unique for both foreign and local guests.
Thank you and we look forward till the next food experience.

Cheers- Simply Enak Team

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Flavours of Malaysia”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

What I loved most about this tour was that Mark was really passionate about the food, the markets, the ingredients. He was knowledgeable, and could answer my many questions with ease! The beef rendang he made me taste was the best one I've ever had, and my breakfast with him and the other tourists at the market (with those gobsmackingly yunmmy sesame buns and iced kopi) was amazing.

Two things I'd never forget about this tour. Mark figured out what each person attending the tour liked - and actually bought it and gave it to us as a little 'gift' at the end. And second, I had left behind something delectable I'd bought from a bakery on the tour in his car. When he realized, HE took the initiative to call me and actually drove back through peak city traffic to give it to me.

That's a true foodie, and exactly the kind of person who should take you around on a food tour. :)

Visited April 2012
Simply_Enak, Owner at Simply Enak - Food Experiences, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Thank you Arva, we are happy that you have enjoyed the food and the company. Being passionate about each food experience and providing personal service to each guest are some of the key qualities we emphasize on. Bon Appetite always!
Cheers- Simply Enak Team
Kuala Lumpur
““Dine with a local !!””
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Although I like to believe I am a seasoned Asia traveller having lived and worked in Asia for more than 5 years (spread-out over 10+ years) and in Malaysia for 2+ years I was in for a surprise!
I have had my fair share of local Malaysian food and have my favourite dishes and places to find them - you can imagine my prejudice when going for a "dine with a local" experience. Expecting to go home thinking to myself, "yep been there, done that, but I still like my normal beef rendang place and my favourite nasi lemak stall", I was taken by complete surprise! - it was Yummieeee!!!
But I am getting ahead of myself, let me start at the beginning;
Being driven from my pick-up point to the "local's house" in itself was a nice experience. Taking a passenger seat view of KL traffic through various areas was fun in addition to having some great views of KL and the famous towers. The natters on the way with the other people was as entertaining as the rest of the evening.
The house where we were to be treated is lovely and airy - beatifully restored and a combination of a traditional Malay house with a modern touch and modern fittings - but now I am wandering - this is about the food not about Malays houses!
After having been introduced to the chef and the other people we were offered a barley drink. Yep, I was prejudiced again... thinking "hmmmm, warm overly sweet barley - yuk, not my thing!" -How wrong can I be... The first ever barley drink that I had that I truely loved (ended-up having 4+? glasses - I lost count) It was cool, and very refreshing and not sweet at all - just perfect!
(This was not your regular barley drink, but a mixture of barley and other ingredients - yum!)

Dinner was served on the floor on woven mat - which was simply great. (chairs were offered but all of us were comfortable sitting on the floor - and got us closer to the food - hey hey hey!! )

The dishes to be served were explained to us as well as a number of ingredients/spices that I was not familiar with, and then the feast stared! A plate full of fresh local vegetables eaten raw - very nice and refreshing. Tying all these vegies in resh raw form is quite and enlightenment.

The warm food served consisted out of the most amazing fragrant rice (apologies - I cant remember the ingriedients - I was too focused on enjoying the food!), a chicken rendang (this does not resemble the rendang they serve at the food stalls and restaurants! - why cant they serve such good food at the food-stalls and restaurants??? - clearly the locals keep all the good food to themselves!) There was some cooked vegetables (which I am not going to name, because if you are like me then you will be prejudice and think you know it all) and a Dhall with fresh green bananas and other ingredients (don't think standard "Indian dhall" - this is nothing like it - oh and much, much nicer!).

Dinner ended with local freshly brewed coffee (or tea/juice) and a freshfruit platter - again fresh local produce such as Rambutan and Starfruit.

Our host eventually had to tell us it really is time to leave as everyone was just so relaxed and chatting the night away and if not prompted we would have stayed hours more.

Thank you - really had a really great time with really nice food.
(now will you send me the recipes??)

Visited May 2012
1 Thank David_Loves_Food
Simply_Enak, Owner at Simply Enak - Food Experiences, responded to this review, May 18, 2012
Thank you David I am glad you liked Dine with a Local experience.
We enjoyed your company equally. It's always good to hear a truly satisfied meal and a pleasant food experience which Simply Enak strives. Recipes? Come join our cooking classes starting soon!
Cheers-
Singapore, Singapore
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great ChinaTown Food Tour”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I did the ChinaTown food tour and next time I am in KL will definitely be interested in doing their Flavours of Malysia tour. I have spent quite a lot of time in Asia so some of the dishes we already known to me, but it is always nice to have someone to explain the dishes to you. I did also get to experience some great new dishes which I have never tasted before. Mark was a very enthusiastic guide and was very passionate about FOOD! The responses from Pauline when booking at post trip were excellent and almost instant. Got a great follow up email with links to all the dishes we tasted. This is a relatively new company but seem very professional and they are passionate about sharing their love of food. Make sure you don't have breakfast beforehand.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank Takalansi
Bangkok
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Dine with a local”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Fantastic experience! The setting was a Malay family's home who cooked delicious food from chicken over local types of salad to beautiful curry. They also set aside small portions of the dishes without sea food to accommodate my allergy towards fish and sea food.
The family were exceedingly friendly, made us all feel very comfortable and welcome and had a great sense of humor. We were able to ask all sorts of questions about the Malay culture, do's and dont's, typical food and customs.
I would definitely recommend "Dine with the local" to anyone who wants to have the local experience.

Visited March 2012