“Staff are not friendly or helpful”

Hotel Arenaa Mountbatten
Ranked #114 of 332 Kuala Lumpur B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“Staff are not friendly or helpful”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

The reception staff at Arenaa Mountbatten need lessons in customer service. They don't acknowledge you; they don't say hello or even smile at you. It is almost like you are inconveniencing them by being in reception. The reception area is tiny and with the security guard and one or two other people it is stuffy.

On arrival I asked if they had a map of the city and was told to buy one at the 7 Eleven. I thought their response was very poor - even a photocopy of a map would have been handy. I was in room 504 so I took the lift to the fifth floor, silly me - wrong floor. This is something that reception should mention when checking in "you are in room 504 but the room is actually located on the fourth floor". Whilst this is not a big issue it would be a nice courtesy for the staff to provide advice.

My room - I booked a deluxe double via Agoda only to find that I had two single beds. Thought about complaining but after the lack of service I received on arrival I couldn't be bothered. Then I found out I had no toilet paper!!! Add to that a missing battery in the tv remote so I couldn't change the channel or turn the tv off unless unplugging from the wall. Four of the six light globes in the chandelier did not work. The bedside lamp did not work. The hairdryer is next to the bed (not in the bathroom). The shower is good, but one of the jets was missing meaning you could not use all the shower functions. Also they didn't provide a floor mat for my first night and as the tiles in the main sleeping are high gloss they can get slippery when water gets everywhere - and it did as the shower is like a wet room (i.e. no shower door).

There is no fridge in the room and there was no remote for the aircon. The first night this was okay but on the second night it got extremely hot but of course I couldn't adjust the temperature. There was no phone in the room so you have to go down to (the unfriendly) reception area if you want or need something. They did not restock the coffee for my second day.

The rooms are not soundproof so any noisy guests can be heard as the sound echos with all the tiles.

Internet is issued in two hours blocks. When your time runs out you have to go down to reception and ask for more. You can leave luggage at the hotel for 5MR per item.

Please note - this hotel is located right next to the LTR line; trains go right past the windows. It is also on a busy street so you have the traffic and pedestrian noise.

The pictures on the internet make this hotel look nice but the lack of service alone is reason enough to look elsewhere. For a refurbishment last year the room is pretty run down. Lots of chips on the walls and paint, mould in the bathroom, although in general the room was clean.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Driving there wasn't as straightforward thanks to some confusing roads and equally confusing driving directions (not provided by the hotel). Parking was provided but only at a makeshift area located a few minutes away underneath a building under construction - it had some form of minimal security to guard against car thieves and flooding whenever it rained and it could fit in 6-7 cars at most. The hotel itself is pretty near an MRT station (Masjid Jamek station) and a bus interchange, which would be very convenient for guests who are not driving down to the hotel. There are quite a number of F&B outlets nearby but if fast food is your thing, there's a Burger King and a McDonald's about 5 minutes walk away. The hotel itself does have a diner on the first floor but I did not eat there. I was greeted by friendly staff at check-in, and I was led up to my room. It was clean and really cosy. The bed was comfortable enough for a good night's sleep. However, the TV did not work so I managed to get a transfer to another, larger room one floor up. For both rooms, the bath had an open-style concept but I don't think it's a good idea... If you plan on staying up till late, you might find the noise from the MRT a little bit annoying (depending on your tolerance level) as the hotel is right next to the train tracks. There was no view to speak of so thankfully the TV in the second room was in working condition that had limited number of channels. What I really liked was the cosy ambience and decor all-around. Compared to other hotels in its price range, looks, comfort, cleanliness and other factors like surrounding areas, it does feel like value-for-money. However, you might be better off paying a little more to stay at hotels with higher star rating, and are closer to the Kuala Lumpur's major areas of interest.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Arenaa Mountbatten Hotel was our second abode on our travels and based on the price (quite a bit more than we spent elsewhere), we were hoping for a pretty decent place with a hotel feel. It fell slightly short of both but it was ok. We stayed for two nights which was enough.

Location

Situated near the Little India area of the huge and sprawling city of Kuala Lumpur, it was pretty easy to find. We flew into KL from Singapore and caught the Aerobus (price: 8RM, 40km) into town before getting the MRT to Masjid Jamek MRT station. We then walked about five minutes through the very busy concrete jungle and found Arenaa Mountbatten Hotel. The picture of the hotel on websites is accurate so just look for it. It's next to a diner/restaurant which is accessible from the hotel itself although we didn't eat there.

Room

Our double room was on the third floor and had some nice touches. An amazing shower, kettle with coffee and tea, a pretty funky bed and a flat screen TV and air conditioning. The view was pretty unspectacular - basically you could see the concrete walls of the elevated railway and the busy street. The room was ok - decent size, modern and had all you needed. The walls were pretty thin though and we could hear people next door. One night there was some awful music playing which meant little sleep and many thumps on the wall. I even got so stressed that I went out and hammered on the next door in a bid to get the message across. It didn't work.

Accommodation

The receptionists were a bit unhelpful. I requested some glasses for our room but they never came despite reassurance that they were on their way, twice. The wifi didn't really work either. The lighting was akin to a nightclub which, although unique, got a bit much after a few walks down the corridors. There was some nice black and white prints along the walls and a lift. No breakfast was included in the price.

Neighbourhood

The area is average, as, in my opinion, is Kuala Lumpur on a whole. It's pretty ugly really. Very busy roads, mad traffic, grubby pathways and very hard to get around on foot. There are some nice vegetarian curry houses so we were never struggling to find somewhere to eat.

Price

We paid 90RM per night so about £20 which is decent value. We didn't feel ripped off, nor did we feel that we got excellent value. It was about the right price really.

Summary

Decent hotel in good location. Kuala Lumpur is a concrete jungle. Very hot, very busy and to be honest, a little disappointing.

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor so that you avoid the street noise. The rooms at the front have to put up...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joe_Fox
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Without being overly critical, this hotel definitely has its downsides. But let's look the good points. The location is what's going for this place. Its close to the bus station and two metro stops. It's fairly newly renovated so at least it's not old and gross but new and reasonably gross. Every floor is flamboyantly decorated in a neon colour and you expect a drag queen to silently creep out one of the rooms at any moment, yet it gives the hotel some character.

The beds are low and uncomfortable and you'll be lullabied by the train passing by the window every 10 minutes. The open style bathroom gives you the opportunity to familiarise yourself with your fellow travellers a little bit more. We didn't dare enter the bathroom without flip flops and we had to request them to change the linen and towels because they were suspiciously stained.

The charming diner next door saves the day by serving affordable and good food 24/7.

We would stay here again if it was the only option in price range because it's certainly better than other 2 star places in KL that we looked at.

Room Tip: The higher the better
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Kuala Lumpur hotels

Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Did not stay at the hotel but used the Diner twice we were only in K.L for 3 nights, the food was excellent, great menu and fantastic value. The staff are very polite and friendly would recommend to everyone try it, we definately would go back there if we go back to K.L.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

this hotel operate like a dorm. each room have 2 double deck beds. if u have less than 4 travelling they May bunk you with some strangers. I went there in June 12 with a family friend. stayed there for 2 nite. the moment I stepped into the room there is a strong smell. it could be smoking smell I don't know. I complained to the staff and they changed another room but guess what the same smell once we stepped in. so the staff gave me a can of fresher spray. sigh. the internet is free. but for every 2 hours you will need to go down to front desk to get another log in password. the rooms are clean but its the smell that gets me. car parking is a problem. since its near chinatown there is a lot of traffic so driving is not recommended. to get a round there is a tram station near by.
enough of the bad stuff. the good thing about this place is it proximity to chinatown which have some awesome Chinese food to die for. just behind the hotel there is a stall that sells porridge which is one of the best I ever tasted. front desk staff are ok.

• Stayed June 2012
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We booked this through Groupon at a ridiculously low price so that made the experience worth it. I actually wouldn't call it a hotel, more like a motel. It's very small, and in a really shady area. The shower, sink, and toilet are all in one area which makes a big mess when you shower. No soap or toiletries are provided, except some shampoo and body wash in a dispensery similar to public washrooms. The worst part of the washroom was that it had no door! Just a curtain, so get ready to experience some serious up close and personal bonding, as you can hear *everything*. The rest of the room just consisted of a queen bed, and we booked the Deluxe room. Anyways, it's good if you need a place to just crash and sleep, and that's about it. When they say renovated, they just mean that they painted it up and added some colorful lights. Otherwise it's totally falling apart with lots of wear and tear. The positives was that it is very close to the subway and in a very central
location to malls and all sorts of attractions. The 24 hr diner had decent food, we ate breakfast there before heading out. Oh, and there were no bugs, which was a huge relief.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
e.City Hotel @ One City
e.City Hotel @ One City
#8 of 10 in Subang Jaya
Hotel Pudu Bintang Hotel Kuala Lumpur
Hotel Pudu Bintang Hotel Kuala L...
#31 of 332 in Kuala Lumpur
Peninsula Residence All Suite Hotel
Peninsula Residence All Suite Ho...
#98 of 256 in Kuala Lumpur
The Hulo Hotel & Gallery
The Hulo Hotel & Gallery
#35 of 256 in Kuala Lumpur
Suasana Suites Bukit Ceylon
Suasana Suites Bukit Ceylon
#49 of 256 in Kuala Lumpur

Been to Hotel Arenaa Mountbatten? Share your experiences!