“Fantastic hostel”

Reggae Mansion Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed with a group of 6 friends in a 18 mixed dorm. Very clean, staff were extremely friendly. Free use of the lockable room to store your things in, and towels provided. We had a great stay and especially enjoyed the rooftop bar - stunning views and cheap delicious Mojitos. I would recommend this hostel very highly.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Meg D

Reviewed October 27, 2012

It was my very first time staying in real budget hotel, and thank to reggae mansion for making it as a great experience. I stayed in 8 mixed dorm room, cost me around RM 42/night, my pod was number D288, and unlucky me, i got a pod with bed as hard as rock hehehe.... All the staff are nice, from the doorman who greets you with "welcome" and "welcome back" (they remember all the guest who stay there) to the cleaning service who clean up all the room from 7 am - 7 pm (i had a chit chat with one of them).

The pod itself is equipped with curtains (it gives you a privacy), mirror (behind it there is some spaces to put your stuff in), lamp (not too bright, i like it), power point, and especially for my pod, it has a window ^_^ The bathroom is clean, ladies's one is separated with gent's one.

This hotel provides many tours you can join in, i took 1 of them which is 7 wonders city tour costs RM 65 (Batu Caves, Thean Hou Temple, National Gallery, National Palace are included)

About the location, this hotel is in walking distance to Masjid Jamek station, Chinatown, Little India, Central Market.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Clean and safe! Great view from the rooftop! Everything would have been perfect if the staff at the reception were a bit less weird. They're trying to be friendly but it is just too forced. Also, when I checked out they did not give me my deposit back right away so I almost forgot. This seemed intentional to me but I cannot say it for sure. Other than being careful about that you can relax and have the best time here!!! :)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I have stayed in a LOT of hostels....this is by far one of the top!! It felt like walking into a boutique hotel. The staff were friendly on arrival. I was staying in a mixed 24 bed dorm on the far side of the building furthest away from the rooftop bar. They give you passcodes for each door however, to enter from lobby into stairwell, and another passcode for the room. I could barely remember the passcode for the room...but at least it made the dorm room secure.
The dorm was on the 2nd level so had to lug all your bags up there. The dorm was HUGE...with lovely oversized beds. It was clean, you got a towel provided, and there were massive lockers under the beds to put your backpack in. The only complaint about the dorm room were the cameras watching your every move 24 hours a day....which I was not made aware of until someone pointed them out. I was really quite displeased that I had been changing in the dorm room and standing there half naked with a security guard watching me - it felt like the big brother house....which all became much more like the big brother house in the evening!!!

They describe the hostel as a "party hostel" and tell you to expect noise, but every night when we came home at 3-4am and wanted to continue partying, there was nowhere to party. They close the rooftop bar around 2am I think, then when you come home, the security guard escorts you back to the dorm room then watches you get undressed and get into bed - which felt really uncomfortable. I felt like a small child being told what I could and could not do. If we made any noise they would come marching up to the room and tell us we had to go to bed. One night we were told we were not allowed to party anywhere in the hostel if we wanted to continue drinking, and that we had to go out on the street. One of the nicer security guards gave us a mat to sit on just outside the doors. So don't expect to stay up too late!!

As for the rooftop patio...the drinks were overpriced at 10RM a cup and were definitely watered down (It was only 10RM a bottle at the liquor store on the street and a few dollars for a bottle of pop). The first night I bought several (one welcome drink for free but you had to wait until 11pm) and thought I had just been drinking pop all night. You were not allowed any alcohol in the room at all. We ended up sneaking it in and pouring it into pop bottles to drink. The patio was nice though and had a lovely view. The host was pretty annoying though after a while. He tried to get everyone involved in games, which was fun for the first hour, but when it lasted like 3 or 4 hours, it got to the point where people got so annoyed they went to bed. Everytime he talked, they turned the music off. One night we actually asked him to shut up after a while, and he did haha!! They didn't really care about us turning all the furniture around though to get a big group of us in a circle, so that was cool!!

Wifi was available - a bit slow, and could not get anything on the rooftop what so ever. Computers were provided but you had to pay to use them. Laundry was also a good price 10RM for a bag, and it came back clean and fresh...little strange having a man wash my undies though haha!!!

Breakfast was urm, ok, nothing special. Could make toast! If you get down there at 10.30 though, everything is packed away and you cannot get it anymore if your a little bit late...they are very prompt at removing it!! Lol!!

The pizza at the bar was pretty good the one time I had it, the second time it was burnt underneath. Fairly priced though for KL.

Definitely take a visit to the park near the petrona tower's, we had a lot of fun there taking pictures!! The malls are also awesome but same price or even more as western countries.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 14, 2012

the hostel is professionally run, the bed is big and comfy, equipped with with lamp and private storage facility, and also a curtain to have some privacy. the place is clean and it has a bar just inside the building.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This place is somewhere between a hostel and a hotel, with hostel prices. It's new, very clean, and a very well maintained place with nice private rooms (with a large tv & a safe box). If it weren't for the rooftop bar and the occasional noise you hear during parties you wouldn't even think it to be a party hostel. I was very impressed with the water fountains they had in the hallways (not even hotels where they charge huge amounts have this!!). A nice addition were the sinks in the hallways as well. I liked that they had security guards at the entrance, makes you feel safe. The facilities are great, lots of space to lounge around. The rooftop bar has a great view and is the perfect place to relax after a busy day in KL. They have a book shelf with lots of guide books etc you can borrow. They have separate staff for everything: receptionists, security guards, cleaners, etc. - and I think that it would be good to have one or two staff members in charge of mingling throughout the hostel in charge of the guests (showing you to your room, answering questions about the city, etc). Because the receptionist staff just stands behind the counter making it all a very impersonal experience, and the fact that they are quite awkward and distant in their approach with guests I find is a big minus and that's something that they can surely improve. Otherwise it's the perfect place to be in KL.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the bottom floor where there is less noise coming from the rooftop bar. Private tw...