“It's an absolute steal for the price and its location”

Ranked #49 of 346 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed August 25, 2013

i stayed just for a night in aug 13 here. I got it at just under $100 SGD and its an absolute steal. for this price, the location is superb. That just did it for me and the rest was bonus. It's just2 min walk to Berjaya times square, that;s great, it has a good breakfast (asian) , the room is big and clean, don't expect luxury in room for this price though, bathroom is decent and clean..
They do mention having a fitness center and spa etc, though I did not get to try it. I would just say that Furama went up to being my preferred stay for tourism in KL for the price they offered. If it goes to the 150- 200 range then there are so many others really.

do expect a bit of slow service like show check in, less number of lifts..just be patient. u r there to enjoy the city and not exactly the hotel , I would say..

Room Tip: just keep the rate in mind..rooms are ig
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank amitjain1512
Gerry D, Executive Assistant Manager at Furama Bukit Bintang, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear Amitjain 1512,

We are glad to hear that you find Furama Bukit Bintang as your preferred hotel in Kuala Lumpur!

We are always happy to know that our guests are happy. Thank you for taking the time to write your wonderful experience. We’re pleased that you took advantage of our central location and the hotels facilities.

We are certainly looking forward in your next return in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Furama Bukit Bintang

Reviewed August 24, 2013

The hotel is great, quite luxurious as it is a 4 star hotel. Rooms are very nice, big and clean so is the reception area. Good all round facilities. Buffet breakfast available so is 24 hours dining service! Nice swimming pool near the restaurants. We really enjoyed our stay. However, the location was the downside of the hotel. It requires a 10 minute walk through dark roads from the main Bukit Bintang street which is full of nightlife and restaurants. So we couldn't enjoy the nightlife of Bukit Bintang much. It is however, closer to Time Square but still you have to go through some shady roads to go there. Furama has shuttle services in the morning, which takes you to different places of interest for free, which is very helpful but at night there are little options. Lastly I would say some of the service people can do better with their attitudes, apart from that it is a great hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Gerry D, Executive Assistant Manager at Furama Bukit Bintang, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Dear Taufique,

We are delighted that you found the Furama Bukit Bintang is a luxurious 4 star hotel and pleased to hear that your enjoyed the room and the location! Your comments will certainly be beneficial to travellers around the world!

We certainly look forward in welcoming you back on your next trip to Kuala Lumpur.

Best wishes,

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We had a family room, very spacious, two bedrooms and two sitting areas, two bathrooms. Clean, efficient staff. Very good location to travel around the city. Direct area around the hotel is not very attractive, the hotel itself could have more character, but nonetheless a good option in Kuala Lumpur.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank taai

Dear Taai,

Greetings from Furama Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur!

We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide the hotel feedback on your recent stay experience at our hotel. We are delighted to know that you find our rooms to be spacious, clean, efficient service and hotels location to your liking.

It was indeed a pleasure to have you as our guest & we are glad that you enjoyed our great service and we look forward to your next lovely stay with us.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Hotel Furama Bukit Bintang, so what do we start from for your review? How about the name itself, shall we?

What would you feel when you mention your hotel's name and the cab driver, after figuring out where "exactly" you want to go , starts almost scolding you? That's the same what happened with me when I mentioned the hotel to my cab driver and he said, there is no such hotel in Bukit Bintang! Huh? Well, I don't know where is Bukit Bintang but the hotel's name says so so it should be there right? When he asked me to show the card of the hotel, guess what, the hotel is actually not at Bukit Bintang(which is in opposite direction to the hotel) but at Jalan Syed Putra( I hope I am right in the name of the street) . And there we go, I got a long lecture from the cab driver that how people tell them the wrong address and than complain about the high fare and all that! So Hotel Furama, please get the name correct. I don't even understand that why you need to say Hotel Furama Bukit Bintang ? Why can't the hote's name is just Hotel Furama , especially when it is not at Bukit Bintang ?

About the hotel now, I was told by the travel agent that it is a new hotel. I am not so sure about it though. I guess it is a renovated hotel since if it is a new hotel than how could the management chose such a wrong location for it? The hotel's location is the biggest put off when you reach there and also, when in the morning , you step out of it.It looks like a renovated hotel to me because I saw at couple of places some equipment which looks dated. The lobby is huge but I didn't like the hotel's reception staff. They take a very long time to respond and at times, you do get to feel that whether they have really heard you even or not? I haven't found them rude but incompetent , yes, absolutely!

The rooms are large, I mean really really large and have windows as well. But what you would do when you look out and you don't see a good sight? Even the large room is just of no use as it looks like a lot of space is just wasted. The facilities in the room are just the same what any other room, with a "normal" space would provide. Funny thing is that though the room is of the size of the football field, the washrooms are just super small in front of it! The room offers a coffee maker but no microwave, a LCD screen tv which has just 13 channels and one channel which just shows the food and beverage menu ! Yep, you have read it correctly, the menu since there is no printed menu given by the hotel. I have stayed at many hotels but it's the first time, at least for me, when there is a menu shown on the tv and that too when the menu is not more than 3 pages long! There are just far too choices in the menu and if you are a vegetarian, make the number even shorter-2! The same is the story of the breakfast which is having no change and the same breakfast is served every day.

There is no free wifi offered at the hotel, at all, anywhere! The only way to get it is to pay for it and that is very high. For 2 hours, RM10 and for 12hours RM30. There is no mentioning of the paid wifi on the hotel's website. At least I couldn't find it anywhere.

My final verdict about it would be that you would get a feeling that it's a really good hotel when you would step into it but that feeling would wear off soon. It's not a cheap hotel and if you are a business traveler (or even a tourist) , you should avoid it and get a hotel somewhere near your work place. In the same pricing, there are better hotels at Mid-Valley itself which are more professional, near to the shopping malls and to the KL Central. Why I chose this one? No I didn't but since I got my booking at the The Garden's cancelled, I had to pick one hotel in a rush and that's how I landed at Furama. It won't be in my list of the hotels next time, any time!

Room Tip: Ask for a room upgrade and on a higher floor to get a better view of the city.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SharmaAman
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights after staying a few nights at the Furama Riverfront in Singapore.

We were on honeymoon and this Furama is poor in comparison to the one in Singapore. Checkin was normal, there was no "special treatment" or warm welcome because we were honeymooners- it was such a difference to the friendly service we received in Singapore.

They did however upgrade us to a bigger room and there was some complimentary fruit in the room. The decor needs updating but the room was clean.

The concierge were friendly and always greeted us when we returned to the hotel in the evenings but that was about it.

We did not receive complimentary wifi which we did at the Furama in Singapore. It was pricey at about 45 MYR for 48 hours.

As for the location itself- I would not recommend. It is a 10-15 min walk to the nearest MRT stop and there are road works along the way so not a clear pedestrian pathway. I would avoid taxis altogether as they are supposed to run by Meter but none of them do which is illegal. Even outside the hotel they would not use meter. Public transport is not as good as other cities either so best to get a hotel that is as central as possible to Bukit Bintang. This Furama although called Bukit Bintang is closer to Imbhi station.

Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank S M

Dear S M,

Thank you very much for taking the time and post a review regarding your stay with us. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced especially in this special occasion of your honeymoon. I have brief our associates to be more vigilant and sensitive in handling such occasions.

Our rooms comes with complimentary internet facilities and as for WiFi connectivity it is chargeable for guest who are paying for superior rooms category only. On the other hand I'm delighted to know that you found our Concierge team friendly.

Thank you again for your comments, we look forward to welcoming you back at Furama Bukit Bintang in the near future.

Best wishes,

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I booked Furama Hotel after several readings here in Tripadvisor. I had high expectations given the reviews that I have read. But sadly, my experience with this hotel brand in KL has been disappointing.

We booked a double room but was given a twin-room. I was told that we were there during a holiday season so I could very well understand if our request couldn’t be accommodated. But what really pissed me off was the kind of attitude that I got both from the Front Desk and the Supervisor when I was asking for a double room. It was obvious that we were tired from the flight but I could not get any hint of sympathy from the staff, they would not even look at me in the eye when I was asking if they can do something about our request. She simply said “sorry, I cannot do anything”. When I asked to talk to a supervisor, he also had the same attitude and in fact before I could even state my case, he was already explaining that my booking stated that there was no guaranty on the room availability, short of saying “so stop asking already!”. He didn’t even bother to make conversation! Certainly, there is always a better way of delivering bad news to a customer. And certainly these people here don’t have training on that. Belatedly, the supervisor said he can transfer us to a double room on our third night to which I said okay but on our third day, no one ever asked us about it. We never got to transfer to another room and I also didn’t bother to ask anymore coz I didn’t want another encounter with the hotel staff. Sadly, this hotel experience on my arrival in KL sort of ruined my excitement for my travel. I have stayed in Furama in Singapore but received very good customer service there i.e. even a simple smile!!!

So let me give my review of this hotel:
Location : The hotel’s location is very poor. While they say they are located in Bukit Bintang, it is still much of a walk to really get to the main street. It is on the edge of Bukit Bintang and while there is a short cut to get to the Berjaya Times Square, it is a small alley and a bit dirty and dark and seemed quite dangerous if walking at night.

Rooms: They are large and spacious. The Supervisor claimed that they are a new hotel, only 2 years but what I think is they are just a newly renovated hotel given the old style design lay-out and the architectural finishes of the hotel exterior. The renovation is also quite poorly done, quality of work is not good at all. The bathroom looks dirty because of the accumulated dirt on the tile grouting which I really find too gross when taking a shower. Quality of the doors and the lock looks very cheap that’s why I immediately thought that this was an old hotel when I entered the room. Only upon some inspection did I realize that the hotel has undergone renovation. The work desk also didn’t look classy and seemed to be made from cheap wood and with poor workmanship on its finishing.

The room did have a big flat screen TV but with very limited channels. But they don’t provide hair dryer and bedroom slippers.

The bed, a little bit hard but it wasn’t an issue for me. What was more of an issue was the dirty bedsheets and the sheets were not changed at all in the 3 days that we stayed there. I also couldn’t see the standard note which you can put on your bed if you want your bedsheets changed.

They also didn’t replenish the toiletries every day which I think should be basic.

Breakfast : My room rate included breakfast. There were many choices, however, the spread was almost the same in the 3 days we stayed.

And my biggest comment on this hotel is the POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. Really, I wasn’t expecting this kind of attitude from their front desk people. In my stay in KL, most of the Malaysians I’ve met have all been friendly and helpful. But not the people at the front desk!
Would I be staying again in this hotel? No way. Would I recommend this hotel? No way.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank tambalyn
Gerry D, Executive Assistant Manager at Furama Bukit Bintang, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Dear Tambalyn,

Greetings & thank you for sharing your recent experience.I was most disturbed to learn about your disappointment over the unacceptable service extended to you by our Front Desk personnel. I have also noted your other comments regarding your arrival experience. First of all, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences and frustration it may have caused you as these should not have happened especially in a 4 star establishment like ours.

I thank you for bringing this to my personal attention as very often it is only through comments such as yours that we become aware of our possible shortcomings which will at least give the opportunity to attend to it immediately, otherwise it would have gone totally unnoticed and perhaps result loosing a customer.

Rest assured that I will take up this matter with all those concerned so as to avoid similar occurrence in the future. I very much regret the inconvenience you experienced and sincerely hope that this rather isolated incident did not mar your overall opinion of the hotel and that it will not deter you from returning and staying with us on your future visits. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Furama Bukit Bintang and can only hope that your next visit will be trouble free and a memorable one.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel a few times and i think i will choose it again every time i have to stay in KL. The rooms are excellent as well as the room service. Always allowed me later check out.
The restaurant, pool and gym are great and it is just a short walk from public transport. Really recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Gerry D, Executive Assistant Manager at Furama Bukit Bintang, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Dear Pedro M,

Thank you for choosing Furama Bukit Bintang as your preferred hotel in Kuala Lumpur. We glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
We appreciated on the comments that you have extended. Your feedback is essential to the hotel, ensuring the hotel team can continually improve hotel services, facilities and offerings.

We are looking forward in welcoming you back in the near future.