“Surprisingly good value”

Ben's
Ranked #1,670 of 4,128 Restaurants in Kuala Lumpur
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: From a breezy marine penthouse to a sophisticated Manhattan townhouse, a Savannah plantation, an understated Australian house and a 1900s colonial-style interior; Ben's unique decor is modelled after a dream-like home right here in Malaysia. As a home-grown restaurant with its signature style, emphasis is placed on the familial quality that Ben's has adopted, hence the value of building relationships through food in a cosy and welcoming environment. Taking on a modern interpretation of East-meets-West, there are plenty of choices for everyone to enjoy. Whether for coffee, a big family get together or even a relaxed weekend brunch, Ben's is perfect for any occasion and welcomes friends and families to enjoy themselves just as they would at home.
Melbourne, Australia
“Surprisingly good value”
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

We hit KL after a week on Langkawi, and went to Suria Mall to find somewhere for dinner. We decided to settle at Ben's, and my wife was concerned it would be very expensive. More on that later.

Everything was excellent, my wife had the tomato soup and a chicken salad, I had the mushroom lasagne, and my kids shared a spaghetti bolognese. I then had to try dessert, and ended up having one serve of the chocolate cake and one of the macadamia cheesecake sundae. We were able to take home the leftover cake, which was great.

All up, the bill was roughly the same as a meal on Langkawi, which was a pleasant surprise.

We'd be more than happy to visit again.

• Indonesian first
Chennai
“Fusion and fun food”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Love this place! We live close by, and although it may be a bit pricey, we really enjoy the fusion food, wonderful ambiance, and super friendly staff. Plus, I liked their novel idea of take-home recipe cards!

Visited November 2012
Beijing
“good food but service needs improvement at Publika Mall”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We went to the Ben's at Publika Mall, Solaris Dutamas and the menu was interesting and varied with lots of lighter bites for lunches. Food was tasty and well presented. Service was prompt but rather ill judged, not friendly and unorganised at times, with other people's dishes coming to us, a dirty cup being presented (without an apologies or embarrassment) and slightly scruffy staff. Could be better and we sense it has been as the place was busy.

• Visited January 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Good food but terrible service”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I had a lovely meal here, but would of been better if the service was as good as the food. I dined alone, normally when I do the waiter would know to ask me if I wanted to order straight away(since I am alone I normally know what I want before I go in, specially that I have been looking at the menu outside of the restaurant.), anyways they sat me down on a table on the exterior part of the restaurant, as the restaurant has an interior and an exterior.

I visited at 1pm so service is normally busy, but I have been to other restaurants in the area at the same time and was served very well. Anyways after 15 mins of sitting down, one of the waiters asked if I ordered already. I said no and told him my order one drink and a pesto spaghetti with chicken. 10 minutes later the food came, I started to think that service was back to normal, but my drink never came till I asked for it, and the way I had to ask for it was to stand up and find a waiter to grab his attention. The thing is if the waiter was serving other customers I would feel bad for them, but the guy was flirting with another his colleague.

Anyways after I ate my delicious meal. I wanted to ask for the bill and of course there was no one to ask as they are all too busy talking to each other instead of serving the customers and the restaurant was getting less busy. I actually stood up and was walking to the door, and I could of easily walked out of the restaurant without paying, but I found the waiter that is at the door and asked for my bill and the bill came in less than 30 seconds, but after I paid my change came 5 mins later. Anyways this was a good meal but the service was terrible.

Sorry for the essay.

• Visited January 2013
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“You can't go wrong when lunching at Ben's”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Ben's in Suria KLCC is located in the unit that housed the California Pizza Kitchen a couple of years ago. After the CPK moved to another shopping mall (The Pavillion I think), we brushed past that particular corner in the main mall in Suria KLCC without bothering to look. This year, by coincidence, we took a closer look, after visiting the neighbors across the hall, Harrods, Ben's restaurant appeared to have an extensive menu with soups, salads, pastas, desserts, Western and Asian main courses etc. The interior of the restaurant was cosy and homey. The salt beef sandwich I ordered, was delicious, just as tasty as in London, and the Tiramisu dessert was well prepared. Expect the bill to be a shade higher as in comparable eateries. To be recommended.

• Visited December 2012