“PODS a great place to stay I KL”

PODs The Backpackers Home & Cafe
Reviewed April 12, 2014

We've stayed at PODSa few times & have enjoyed the amazing staff, the atmosphere & the proximity to KL Central. The neighbourhood in Brickfield has everything you would need to start your day or end it.. They are now in KK too!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Wah and his staff are wonderful. I've stayed at POD's twice- back in August 2013, and again in November 2013. I went to dinner with staff members, played music with other travelers, made art with Komeil, and enjoyed the peanut butter toast. Some of these other reviews don't sound great, but I'm not sure why.. it is a HOSTEL, not a luxury Las Vegas hotel. It's designed for travelers on a budget.

When I got back to POD's the second time, it was so nice to see my friends. Since then, I have organized to come back to KL and stay at POD's while I work on a charity event for a local orphanage. Wah and Komeil have been VERY helpful with the planning. I am impressed with their desire to help the community.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I arrived in KL back in August 2013, the hostel was located 10 mins walk for the train station and over the road to the tram line and was central so I was very happy with my choice.
I chose to stay in a female dorm and was put on the 3rd floor in a 4 bed room. The beds where extremely comfortable and the lockers where located outside the room so no noise from people opening them all the time, however due to there only being a overhead fan, the rooms where sometimes very warm.
Most of the staff were lovely and really helped me with directions of places to go and how to get there.
I left on a Saturday heading for Australia unaware that the Post Office was closed so left 100 MYR and two bags of souvenirs with Zach on reception who took my address and email address and assured me that he would post them on Monday when the post office reopened. After a few emails in August and a promise that he would email me my tracking number I never received my items and have had no contact from him either.
Maybe it was my own mistake trusting the person who had helped me so much and I though of as a friend during my stay but as they say lesson learnt.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
faithar83, Owner at PODs The Backpackers Home & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Hi middo44,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback about our hostel. Regarding the issue, I was not aware about it. I can guarantee you that Zach is one of our very dedicated and trustworthy staffs and luckily he just came back to PODs. He was away travelling. I will talk to him regarding this to find out more details. Sorry for the trouble and I hope we could still find your stuffs to deliver to you soon. Could you drop an email to me at wah@podsbackpacker.com and I'll keep you updated.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

We had a group of 40 and arranged everything in advance. They failed to mention that they wouldn't have beds for all of us...about half! We slept on the floor and still paid $8-9 per person. They weren't very accommodating. We've been traveling 6 months in 6 different countries and have never had to sleep on the floor especially for that price. When leaving KL we stayed at Bunc@radius right on chinatown which was one of the best places we've stayed. It was a dollar or two more.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank TheTravelGuinea

Hi TheTravelGuinea,

i believe you are from World Race group. I'm sorry about this trouble that your group faced. We have actually communicated with the group that we were unable to accommodate as it exceeded our availability that day. However we did suggest if the group was ok to stay in the big dormitory without enough beds and we did receive acknowledgement from them. We also reduced the price for those without beds as we're aware it's not right to charge the same rate.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

The common area facilities were good but the dorms were average. I didn't sleep at all because the walls don't go to the ceilings and you can literally hear the whole level moving around. Strange lights curfew of 11pm and no air conditioning during the day... let me tell you, it is absolutely sweltering in KL and there wasn't even powerful fans.

The staff were great. Breakfast was literally toast and jam/peanut butter. Not enough value for what you pay. On the plus, it is extremely close to KL Sentral and perfect to get catch a bus to the airport for early morning flights.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Wah_Harun, Owner at PODs The Backpackers Home & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

Hi Luchia B,

Thanks a lot for your feedback. We really value our guests' comments and suggestions. The initial design of our hostel was to encourage good air ventilation by using centralized aircond with open partition. Some of our guests actually appreciate having this while others prefer closed partition. We are working on upgrading our hostel soon and we will consider to change this to improve our guests' experience staying in our hostel. Lights curfew at 11pm is only at sleeping floors. This is to help our guests that need quality sleep. Our spacious common area is opened and can be accessed 24 hours.

Thank you.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

I stayed for four days in January 2014 in a single on third floor. Room 3 not recommended because whenever someone came in once I was in bed, the fluorescent light from the landing cruelly woke me up! Could be fixed with an opaque piece of card I reckon, but didn't have time nor inclination.
The mattress had a permanent dip in the middle and even with a second mattress on top, if was really difficult to get comfy to sleep. But the friendly and helpful approach of all the people manning the front desk make up for the inconvenience. I'd go back to be close to KL Sentral for one night but no longer.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo

Hi LouiseRomain,

Thanks a lot for your feedback and suggestion. We will look into them as we are in the planning stage of upgrading our hostel. Few of the mattresses definitely need to be changed and thanks a lot for highlighting this.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

I arrived at LCC Terminal of KL International Airport at 11:00. I wanted to stay in a reasonable guesthouse and didn't want to walk a lot. So I didn't stay in a hotel around there. Instead, I took KL Tranisit to KL Sentral, which was 5 minutes' walk to the guesthouse. There were also a few buses from LCCT to KL Sentral and they were a bit cheaper. In any case, the guesthouse location is perfect for budget travellers arriving at KL late in the evening. Incidentally, simple breakfast was included and that was also helpful. I will stay in the guesthouse when I am back to KL.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank misocutlet

Hi misocutlet, I'm glad you had a great stay at our hostel and yes location is indeed one of our strengths. We will continue to do our best to serve better. Thank you.