“No where else would do in KL for my wife”
Review of Villa Samadhi

Villa Samadhi
Ranked #1 of 342 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Adelaide, Australia
“No where else would do in KL for my wife”
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Our Stay at Villa Samadhi started with a welcoming smile from Bu who was waiting for us as we stepped off our long flight tired & looking for a place to rest. On arrival at Villa S , we couldnt believe our Luxe Crib room , meticulously prepared for our arrival. Every thing about our room was exactly as we viewed on their website , no it was better ! From the Spa to the Balcony overlooking the Pool and the Bed , where can we buy one , it was superb. Are we impressed ? Would we stay again ? Yes & Yes

Room Tip: We thought the Luxe Crib was good value.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mike W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
welling
Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

The staff here are very friendly, the batman recognised us from a visit to Japamala which we made last year. We are now at home in a truly relaxed calm and fabulous hotel with a superb room with everything you need

Stayed April 2012
2 Thank roygarland
Stockton Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We recently stayed in Villa Samadhi. It was a real find. A little gem in the quiet area of a busy city. It is away from all the hustle and bustle of city life.
Wonderfully relaxing place. Our room was lovely, bed a little high but incredibly comfortable once you had hiked yourself on. The spa bath on the balcony was a real treat.
The staff are extremely welcoming and kind. Nothing is too much trouble for them. Always on hand to assist. In the evening you can sit on the rooftop bar overlooking the surrounding residential area with a free cocktail of your choice with nibbles every evening between 18:00 and 19:00. Breakfast is served in the restaurant at the back of the villa and serves one of the best nasi lemak I have tried. The only one criticism I would have is that each table is given a selection of fruits, cheese, fish and/or meat. Often this was not wanted and wasted by guests. This seems a real shame. Maybe it would be better to check with the guests first and have a selection if desired just as the a la carte breakfast. On the other hand the half boiled egg should definitely be tried. I came across this first in a place in Penang and this certainly lived up to the reputation I have given the dish ever since.

A real retreat in the city. Will definitely return. Next time maybe the room with the balcony straight on to the pool. I have already told my family and friends of this place.

Room Tip: A very nice room with balcony directly onto poolside
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nextadventure33
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed April 23, 2012

My partner and I stayed here earlier in 2012 as a min post-engagement honeymoon and it was an delightful treat.

The staff were incredibly attentive, friendly and amazingly hospitable.

The room was spacious, comfortable and extremely elegant and although the villa is located conveniently close to the city we were pretty eager to stay in doors. In fact we did most of our wedding planning from within the in-room jacuzzi. Seriously special.

The food and sunset beverages on the roof-top were a spectacular treat and our dinner at their sister restaurant was very romantic and delicious.

The pool was amazing and this place is truly a hidden gem in bustly KL.

We both loved it and couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Amazing.

Room Tip: We chose the room on the first floor centrally located over the pool for a bit of privacy and I thin...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Zander R
Melbourne
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I'm loathe to share this information, but that just wouldn't be fair. Villa Samadhi is an amazing place to stay - both the property and the warm and generous hospitality are fantastic.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank OliviaTait
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed April 1, 2012

I love this villa so much and can't wait to write the beauty of it. It was such a charm to find this villa just located 20 minutes away from my house. I totally adored the fact that it is so hidden and quite even surrounded by the skyscrapers. I read this villa in one of the blogs I followed and started to plan a date to stay in. The Resident Manager, Cherie had made our stay even sweeter. Her devoted service and attentiveness really given us a great pleasure. No doubt I voted VS has the best service villa in Malaysia or even the entire universal. We took the *CRIB* (unit 14) via online booking. We would like to have Luxe Crib in near future.
Food was excellent, room was cleaned and extraordinary comfy, last but not least the landscaping was making us breathtaking everytime we walked out. It was such a breeze!!!

I wrote a blog about VS - http://angienab44.blogspot.com

More pictures in my blog and a pic. worth a thousand words.

Well done VS!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ANGIENAB
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed March 29, 2012

As we drove into the compound and long green driveway of Villa Samadhi, we were totally impressed and excited that we had found a beautiful quiet getaway right in the heart of KLCC itself. The place is secluded and it feels like Bali but our experience was completely shattered from the moment we checked in.

Firstly, when I had called to make a phone booking about 5 days back (Monday), I ask if they had a spa within the retreat and I would like to book ourselves in for a massage on the day we checked in (Saturday). The lady at reservations mentioned that they partner with a nearby organic spa and could provide us with a free shuttle. I said, great! Pls book us in for 3pm! She said she'd call me back to re-confirm our spa booking the next day. I did not get a call the next day, nor the following day. On Friday, a lady from reservations called to re-confirm our booking for the room and asked for my credit card details to hold our booking. So I gave our credit card details and then asked her whether we were booked for the spa the next day. She said she wasn't sure, but she would book it for us for Saturday.

The first thing I asked upon check-in was our confirmation for our spa. Cherie, the Resident manager who attended to us said they were fully booked. What? Fully booked and noone could pick up the phone to just inform us? We could have made our own spa arrangements at our regular spa which is a few minutes drive away. You're telling us so last minute that it's fully booked? She mentioned that the spa was always busy and that they were booked from a few days ago. So I told her that I had requested for the booking since Monday but noone had gotten back to me. And then Cherie rephrased herself and said, "Oh, they were actually booked from early on this week". Then why didn't anyone from your side give us the courtesy call and tell us that we couldn't get a booking? Cherie said she'd try her best and she called the spa immediately and tried to get us in. I wasn't impressed already.

Next, I was shocked when she wanted to collect payment upfront for the room. We travel a lot and we've stayed in at least 100 hotels. Even 5-star hotels don't ask you for upfront payment upon check-in! If we had made an online booking and gotten a discounted rate for the room, we wouldn't mind paying upfront, as that would be the norm. But we are paying full price for the Sarang room (at RM950 per night) and I had already provided them with my credit card details. And if they wanted my credit card again at check in, just as a deposit, I would have been more than happy to give it to them. So I explained to Cherie that we will be having lunch AND dinner at the villa's restaurant and also food/drinks from the room's minibar and not forgetting our spa... these will all be additional charges. Does that mean we have to pay NOW at check-in and pay AGAIN tomorrow at checkout??? When I questioned their policy, she insisted it was company policy and when I pointed out that it was a ridiculous policy to have, especially when it's a high-end retreat, she got worked up and agitated, raised her voice a little, argued with me a little more and then reluctantly said fine, you can pay at check out. A few minutes later, she also miraculously managed to book us in at the spa.

To be honest, as shocked and dismayed as I was at the ridiculous "Pay-Upfront-Upon-Check-In" Policy, I would have paid it if Cherie had remained calm and handled herself better. It was the way she had handled things that really ruined our weekend experience. As a trained manager of a highend retreat or having been in the service & hospitality industry, one would expect the Manager to be well-versed in interacting with their guests, even under difficult situations. This was obviously not the case.

The Villa is a perfect retreat/getaway but our first impressions and first encounter with the resident manager was just ATROCIOUS. We feel that there was some kind of double standards in treating us because we are locals, unlike most of the guests, as she re-iterated to us many times... who are foreigners. Her attitude towards us changed 180 degrees after the incident. She was extra nice to us throughout the rest of our stay. Unfortunately it came out to us as overly superficial.

Upon checkout the next day, Cherie did apologize for her behavior and presented us with some soap and cookies. I give her the benefit of the doubt for that, but it had already ruined what could have been a perfectly tranquil, romantic getaway. No amount of soap or cookies was going to reverse the unpleasant experience. We ended up paying RM1800, after adding all the additional F&B and spa treatments. And if it wasn't for our horrid experience, we would have returned regularly to the place and recommend it to all our friends, local and foreign.

On the whole, the place is a great getaway in the city if you don't have the time to travel outside of Kuala Lumpur. A few things to note though -

1. Our Sarang room had our own jacuzzi which ran automatically at 3 different times. It's noisy when the pump is running and you basically don't have control over the times you want to enjoy the jacuzzi.

2. The pool is surrounded by lovely trees and the fallen leaves are not cleared. We arrived at lunch time and the pool was filled with leaves. The next morning, I had expected the leaves to be cleared, and unfortunately, it wasn't either.

3. The day beds around the pool are nice but were dusty and slightly dirty from the fallen leaves, as if it hadn't been clean for days.

4. Lack of staff at the restaurant but that's a small thing we can overlook as the food is GOOD!

5. I read the other reviews and they had turn down service. We didn't get no turn down service. Again, double standards maybe coz we are locals? Just not cool....

6. Agree with one of the reviews - they overly mention/ highlight their "Non-smoking" Policy in all areas except for the reception balcony. And although I was initially quite happy to hear of this policy because I'm 100% anti-smoker, the number of times Cherie reminded us, it did make us feel like we were little school children, that this needed to be drilled in our heads.... "NO SMOKING.... OR ELSE"....

I hope they improve on the way they run the place, their policies and more importantly, on the service towards ALL their guests, whether local or foreign.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple