“Sewage Smell”

Ranked #17 of 345 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
“Sewage Smell”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed in this hotel from 20th till 28th of March, in which supposed to be a premier suite in 9th floor.
Somerset really disappointed me, I was expecting good place and service that deserves the high price that I paid. unfortunately, my expectation narrowed down from the 1st night where we start to smell the sewage smell from the bedroom's washroom, this bad smell was getting stronger night by night. I spoke with the staff about this problem and also the drainage of the sinks in both washrooms (two bedrooms apartment) twice, there was no enthusiastic reaction and they told me that, their house-keeping staff didn't notice any problem.
On the sixth night of my stay the smell woke us at 5 AM, again I informed the receptionist where he advised me to speak to the manager in the morning.
I didn't feel any eager from the manager to help at all, and even no expression of apology instead he suggested to move us to another unit, which is not practical for me since we are leaving in less than 24 hours.
We can hear the drainage system running in the pipes of the wall of the bedroom's washroom where I brought the housekeeper to witness that, again no comments!!!.
On our last day while we are trying to get relax in preparation for our long flight, there was a disturbance due to constructions in one of the floors either 8th or 10th, again I called them regarding this problem, the response came two hours later, when they told me that there was
a construction in the 8th floor and now they finished it, without even saying we are sorry,
well, glad to know!!
This is my first and last time staying in these apartments.

Room Tip: Stay away from this place.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Badr G
Gary_SAKL, Guest Relations Manager at Somerset Ampang Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear Mr Badr G,

Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry about the unpleasant experience you encountered during your previous stay with us. As soon as you reported the smell to us, our engineering staff fixed the sealant which has been become loose on the floor trap. Unfortunately, when it was reported the second time, we were not able to trace the source of the smell despite numerous attempts to do so. To make the remaining part of your stay comfortable for you, we offered you a change of room in order for us to monitor and probe the smell issue. However, this was declined. We apologise that we were not able to make you feel more at home and comfortable.

I would be very grateful if you could contact me at my email address, gary.theng@the-ascott.com so that I can personally address the issue with you and hope that you will accord us another opportunity to be of service to you again.

Gary Theng
Guest Service Manager, Somerset Ampang Kuala Lumpur

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
GREECE&CYPRUS
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,948 helpful votes
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We enjoyed a warm welcome upon arrival. Our stay was originally for 4 nights but we extended the stay for one more before moving on to Langkawi. We were happy to hear that we are upgraded to B. The hotel was full so we made the last day’s booking through internet thinking that we would either be asked to move to another room or pay more. Neither of the two happened and this was highly appreciated. We remained in our upgraded room with no extras!

STAFF: Impeccable service -a bunch of professionals, very warm and friendly and always on hand to help with their local knowledge. They helped us choose some nice cultural and lifestyle activities which otherwise we might have missed.

LOCATION: I would say with one word “Unique” It is just a 5 minute walk from the metro station and one stop from here to the city centre and the Suria -Malaysia’s premium shopping centre which is located at the base of the Petronas Twin Towers. Besides the luxury and fashionable shops (Burberry, Cartier, Chanel, Prada, and many more, it houses also cafes, several restaurants, a 12 screen cinema, a Concert hall, the Petronas Art Gallery and a Science Discovery Centre.

RESIDENCE: The inspired residence features high quality, stylish and exceptionally appointed living spaces. Signature touches make the guest feels right at home and this is how we felt the moment we stepped through.

ROOM: We were shown to our spotlessly clean apartment on the 10th floor and the cabin boy demonstrated the use of the different facilities.
The room was spacious, very comfy with a stunning view.

The fully equipped kitchen, the separate dining and living area, the coffee/tea facilities, the washing machine, drier, toiletries, the amazing bedroom, the 2 flat screen TVs, the sofa and the massive walk in wardrobe and all other facilities were what really made the difference!

We truly felt like home away from home here. The residential-style amenities ensure warmth and comfort with attention given to detail. We felt at ease and longed to ‘return home’ after each day’s active cultural outing.

INTERNET: We could relax within the privacy of our own living space and enjoy the modern and innovative business -broadband internet services that were provided.

We had a card daily with the name of the person who was responsible for the room’s cleaning in case we needed any extras, and we were daily provided with a newspaper.

BREAKFAST: We could have our breakfast down at the small restaurant next to the hotel after showing our vouchers of course. Breakfast was fine and the people of the restaurant were nice.
Lunch was also fine –not to mention that there was a ‘take away’ and we could order anything from our apartment.
I also need to mention that after dining in the room we had all dishes washed the next day.

SWIMMING POOL: Roof top ‘infinity’ pool, is a great place to hang out, as well as the Jacuzzi and gym. It feels as if you are swimming on top of the world! The view from up here is breathtaking.

I highly recommend it and if we ever return we will certainly book here again.

4 Thank greekcypriot2009
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2013

For a hotel like this in London you would probably be looking at paying 3 or 4 times the price. When we walked into the apartment we were shocked at the amount of space there was and how clean it was. We only had the 1 bedroom apartment so I can only imagine how amazing the higher priced apartments are. The pool on the roof offers a good view of the towers and of the surroundings. The hotel offers a free shuttle service to KLCC (Petronas Towers) in the mornings, although it's recommended to put your name down the night before. Staff were great. Very helpful and acommodating to us as our flight wasn't until the evening. The breakfast was held in the restaurant next door but was very nice. All in all a great place to stay in KL :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WoollyJumbo
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I knew from the website we were in for something special at this hotel but on arrival i was truly amazed at our apartment. Ultra modern in every way from the furnishings to the hardware. We booked a premier one bedroom and it was eextremely spacious. Bathroom amazing my only negative would be that the toilets were not up to scratch. We loved the pool area but 8 lounges is no where near enough for a property this size. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: If booking a one bedroom a Premier on a high floor
3 Thank sallygoldcoast
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here and it was a nice alternative to the usual "hotel room" we stay in. The apartment itself was spacious, modern and really comfortable with 2 flat screen TVs a massive walk in wardrobe and comfy bed and sofa. The bathroom was lovely especially the bath and the view from it. The pool was beautiful and not at all crowded and the staff were professional and courteous. Sadly the breakfast is terrible in quality, choice and presentation and lets the brand down in my opinion. The a/c in our first room 1010 was really noisy (banging) and after persevering for 2 nights we moved to 1014 and whilst the apartment was smaller we slept much better away from the banging a/c and noisy main road. In addition this room did not stink of cigarette smoke like 1010 even though both rooms are on a non-smoking floor....common for Malaysia I know but not nice none the less.

Overall a lovely property in a pretty good location, great for longer stays and very comfortable.

5 Thank 123free
Yokohama, Japan
Reviewed March 1, 2013

15mins walk to the twin towers so its a good location in the embassies area. rooms are big, clean and everything works well. the view from the bath is fantastic. stayed there 9nights and staff are helpfull.
roof top pool is a great place to hang out and not crowded while i was there everyday.
breakfast was nothing to shout and not much to choose as they serve only halal foods.
many locals with kids can been seen, house keeping was perfect.

Room Tip: higher floors facing Ampang will be great. never take those blue colored premium taxis as they wil...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank MZTK
Danang
Reviewed February 23, 2013

After traveling in Myanmar for two weeks, I decided to get one of the one bedroom apartments here to have a nice spot to wind down before returning home to Vietnam. I was more than satisfied with the apartment although a few things need to be improved with some things.
We stayed at Traders Hotel in Kl 5 months ago, which was very nice, but the exact same cost as I paid for the 1 bedroom at Somerset. Hands down, I would be at Somerset again.
Pros:
Apartments are spacious, including BR, LR, DR, KIT, 2 walk in closets, nice bathroom, washer/dryer, full fridge and all plates/silverware needed. The gym and pool on the roof are quiet nice and I really enjoyed having a workout with that view.
Cons:
As said in previous reviews, breakfast needs improving. Now, after very basic breakfasts in our trip before KL, this was better than we had had in a while, but it only needs to improve slightly to get to the "acceptable" level. They have an egg station, some breads, then some small Malaysian choices and then a thing of somewhat cold scrambled eggs and sausage. A couple small plates with two choices of fruit. The display itself needs improving.
The staff are professional, but their buttons on their uniforms that read "If I am not smiling, tell me" might want to be read again.

All in all, great choice and highly recommended!.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Patrick B