“Paarty and chill”

BackHome Kuala Lumpur Hostel
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at Backhome. The location is perfect, there's a train station just a couple of blocks away, restaurants, 711 and money exchange place just right up the block. Also, Raggae Mansion is only a block away. Before we booked our hostel we heard a lot of good things about Raggae Masion, and we wanted to booked Raggae originally, but by mistake we booked Backhome instead. BUT that was a happy accident! Raggae is well known for its rooftop bar and their tours, and staying at Backhome we were still able to do both at Raggae, just without the loudness to disturb us in our sleep. That's why Backhome was perfect for us, we partied at Raggae and come home to our quiet and cozy room. We booked a double room (right next to the staircase), the room was clean and nice with comfortable bed and powerful AC. The only thing I would complaint about was the outlet, there were only two outlets in the whole entire room and they were not by the bed. Besides that I really enjoyed my stay here. the environment was was nice and homey, there is an open lounge area and a coffee shop right next door. They also have free tea and coffee as well as kitchen supplies for their customers to use. Will def come back in the future

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 21, 2014

Just like the name , i always feels at home when i am at BackHome KL. I was so frequent in this space that at one time i was like part of the family . With the washing basin in the dorm and dorm beds thats firm and allows some privacy, big lockers and uptodate movie room etc was a dream place for frequent backpackers. i suggest travellers to explore many eating choices around or the China town also named as Chi Chiong Gai is a must to savour some of the locals favourite dishes.

Room Tip: as rooms are rather limited , so most of the rooms are the same .
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Close to the LRT - train. Cheapest way to get here from the airport is to get a bus to kl sentral then the train from there. Beds are wide and so comfortable. Air conditioning is on all the time. There is a clothesline to dry your clothes. Dorm room is big. The lockers can fit your whole bag in and they also have shelves. There is a bi lingal charging power point light and shelf for each bed. At the counter you sign a set of rules saying that you will respect others and be also be tolerant. Breakfast is bananas, toast and cereal available from 7.30am. You can also store bags there for a fee. Everything is clean and the showers are great. Wifi is strong and available in the rooms. Two stations away from china town market.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed July 13, 2014

A friend from Korea recommended this small boutique hotel to me knowing that i would love its deco and its coffee place ambience so i decided to pay them a visit when i am 'backhome' in my own country on a stopover before goig back to east malaysia. First i thought i'd invite a few local friends to go over there for lunch in their cafe ~ LOKL and then if i like the atmosphere, i'd check the availability, then book in for the rest of my stay. It was quite unfortunate that i visit them on a monday afternoon and its their day off. I asked the staff if i could just sit at their lobby area area while i contact my friends to inform them that the cafe is closed. Soon after, i could sense that my presence was most unwelcomed by the manager & that the reception staff may had been lectured for giving me the permission to stay in the lobby. My suspicion gave me a truly bad vibe and so i approached the staff to ask permission to use the washroom (not that i need to) but the response from the staff is very obvious. An institution in the hospitality industry that is totally un-hospitable ! I personally will not ever visit this hotel and i shall not recommend it to any of my friends or fellow travellers while in KL. there are better options.

Room Tip: do not judge a hotel by its arty and trendy deco. beware of snobs !
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sarawaklaksa
BackHomeKL, Manager at BackHome Kuala Lumpur Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2014

Dear Sarawak Laksa,

We’re really sorry that you had such a bad experience at BackHome. We understand your frustration – no one wants to feel unwelcome.

We want you to know that we take complaints about customer service seriously, and want to assure you that we are investigating the matter. At BackHome, we always try to make everyone feel welcome, even when they’re not a guest.

To make up for all this, we would like to offer you a free meal at LOKL. You can email us on info@backhome.com.my to claim this. It will also be great if you can talk to us personally about the incident while you’re here.

We apologize again, and look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Fadly
Manager

Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights.
Clean and tidy but no frills to stay the least.

Staff were helpful, breakfast was included, just toast and tea but there was a cafe within the hostel (we didn't eat here, too many local places to explore!!)

We like to get outfr dawn 'till dusk in new cities so this place did the job, I would go back!

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed July 11, 2014

I stayed 3 nights in a 6 bed dorm with A/C. The staff is really nice and helpful. Breakfast is nice: Coffe, tea, cereal, oats, bananas and toast. The room was huge, it has a small sink in it and big lockers. The A/C was a bit higher from my point of view. There is a coffee place next to it which looked very nice and cozy with an interesting menu. Also it has kind of a backyard and 2 living rooms with comfortable couches. It is 5 minutes walking distance from the closest train station Masjid Jamek. 10 minutes walking from Pudu Raya Bus Station. Very close to Reaggae Mansion. 5 minutes far from Chinatown.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed July 10, 2014

Nice backpackers hostel.
Its close to the metro which is handy.
The rooms are airconditioned and have big lockers.
The beds are good
The shower has a wow effect. Its hot and big.
Only negative point is that the shower can be smelly.
But i think thats more kuala lumpur.
The front desk helped me with a smile and explained me everything

So if your are in kuala lumpur. This is a nice place to stay

Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo