“Smart, Clean and Great Location”
Review of BackHome KL

BackHome KL
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Smart, Clean and Great Location”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Excellent location for those who want to see KL on foot, five mins walk to Chinatown, 15 mins to the KL Comms Tower or central city. This is important as KL hasn't quite mastered the art of public transport - so we found walking or taxis much more easier. There is a 7/11 a short walk around the corner to pick up some groceries. The hostel itself is clean, modern with friendly staff and extremely secure - it didn't really feel like a hostel, more a modern hotel, with a relaxing courtyard to chill and use of free wifi. Breakfast is basic, but sufficient until lunchtime - toast and coffee/tea.
I stayed in a double private room as I was travelling with my gf (a fact that didn't seem to phase the staff, and I was grateful for)
On our departure staff arranged for a taxi to LCCT airport for 110MYR.
If you are looking for a more upmarket surrounding I would suggest staying somewhere closer to the Petronas Towers.

Room Tip: Double rooms worth a little extra
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I arrived at about 8 in the morning & the male staff (he was so awesome! didn't manage to catch his name though) identified me so that was a great start. As the room wasn't ready, he showed me to the movie theatre room to catch a quick rest since I had arrived real early (4am in KL) that day. Big thumbs up for that!

WIFI speed is great, lotsa lounge area to chill at. I didn't have much time to really explore every area since I was just there for a day-trip to see a friend but it looked like a great place to while the day away. Didn't get a chance to do breakfast too but the spread seemed simple enough (coffee, tea, bread & spreads)

If you are looking to book this hostel to find people to party/go out with than it may not be the right choice (it's a pretty self sufficient chill hostel) but it definitely wins 5 stars for comfort & easy access.

Location is great! Just look out for the Macdonald's once you get out of Masjid Jamek station and walk down - you'll be there in about 5 minutes tops. I booked a 4 bed mixed dorm and it was really clean and modern! Had a sink in the room & huge wooden lockers to store about everything possible. My room had a window view too so that was smashing.

Would definitely come back to KL and stay here! Will probably do a full day to fully experience the hostel's facilities though.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms with a window view! Doesn't seem to have heavy traffic on the road the hostel i...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

I would high recommend staying at Backhome- it is very clean, has a relaxed friendly atmosphere, is centrally located a 5min walk to Chinatown (and next to an MRT station for easy traveling), feels safe, and is aesthetically pleasing with a modern polished concrete and brick design.
My boyfriend and I stayed in the 4 bed mixed dorm, which was very comfortable. I would highly recommend this if you are traveling in a 4, as cheap and lots of space. They also had bigger dorms if you are a bigger group. Our friends manage to get a double room, and this was about the same price if there are 2 of you, so perfect for a couple.
The communal bathrooms are modern and clean, with rain head showers and large sink an mirror areas. There is also a nice courtyard area for some quiet drinks and breakfast. The included breakfast is toast and instant coffee/tea, however they have a cool-looking coffee shop attached which looks like it would serve a great breakfast to set you up for the day (this was close when we stayed).
I will definitely stay here again when I am next in KL!

• Stayed October 2012
Luxor, Egypt
Reviewed January 18, 2013

This is not the first time that i sleep in Hostel :)
backhome one of the best hostel i think,
1-about the location:very good very close to KL tower and twin tower(about 30 minutes walk)
alot of resturantes around the hostel(chines food,indian food,mcdonalds & burger king)
cafes, bars and exchange
KLCC & KL central about 2 staion stop
2-about the hostel facilities:i think good,good beds and big lockers,aircondition is good,speed wifi but there is no wifi @ room and this the bad thing :(
3-about the staff:helpful and friendly(especially Fadly) he is a very good guy always smile.How i respect this guy :)
-always ther is girls clean the room in the morning
Note:I would not recommend going to the Lokl cafe (Prices are exaggerated)
anyway i think this is a good and safe hostel @ kuala lumpur

Room Tip: i think 106 D is a good room mixed 4 dorms
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Lille, France
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Location is appreciable however the only concrete style as decoration makes you feel like you are anywhere but in central KL.
We had stomach ache straight after eating breakfast, and we didn't even get towels or any other convenient items although we paid our room over 100 MYR.
This guesthouse has no spirit, and is not good for travelers looking for a Malaysian ambiance. Better check twice room pictures before involving yourself in.
If you are looking for something just purely functional to sleep and wash, then it's your bet!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alex888q
Sydney
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights with two friends and enjoyed (almost) every minute in this hostel. The staff were friendly and helpful and the courtyard is a nice place to relax. The bathrooms are very private which is another plus.
Everything is very clean and modern and it's a great place to meet people or if you're just looking for a cheap place to stay.
I only have about 2 or 3 bad points about this hostel. We booked online for three people and were given a room with 1 single bed and 1 double bed, meaning we were made to share, but that wasn't so bad. The airconditioning in our room also took quite a while to figure out which was annoying, but again not so bad.
I'd without a doubt stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I arrived yesterday late and I had very good first impression. They immediately knew me and helped me to go to my room. The place is clean, friendly and well organised. Air-condition is working and bed is clean too.

Just can recommend this place for stop in KL.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo