“Amazing value”

DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #22 of 349 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed July 8, 2014

At only 10,000 Hilton honors point per night, I felt like the ultimate scheister. It really should be at least triple that. But until Hilton cotton on, I'll be more then happy to oblige. Everything is new, modern and luxurious. The salt water pool was great and the rain shower was how it should be. I loved the Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries. The only drawback is its distance from Bukit Bintang. You need to catch a train and the monorail. Or you could take a chance with KL's notorious taxis but I just didn't have the stomach for that. It took 45 minutes one way, door to door, which might be too far, especially with kids. Apart from a Malay shopping centre directly in front, there isn't much else around. Once the Intermark building is fully populated with shops, this will change. But until then, this place will be better suited to business travellers then those on leisure.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Lunarboogie
DoubleTree-KL_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

Dear Lunarboogie,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.

I am delighted that you had taste our warm & caring service and you found our rain shower and bathroom amenities to your liking. I trust you also enjoyed our famous DoubleTree cookie, and I hope to be able to welcome you back to DoubleTree by Hilton soon!

Regards Ian Barrow, General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,447)

Reviewed July 7, 2014

I stayed here with my family for 2 nights and had a great experience. I would specially recommend this hotel for a family. The staff of the hotel could not be nicer. Hotel has a shuttle to take you to nearby places which is great.

Room Tip: Use hotel shuttle and the walkway bridge
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Dear prashantsh1928,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.

I am delighted that you had taste our warm & caring service and you found our property to your liking. I trust you also enjoyed our famous DoubleTree cookie, and I hope to be able to welcome you back to DoubleTree by Hilton soon!

Reviewed July 6, 2014

Exit from Ampang Park subway station and take a right then left at corner with Mcdonalds.
Go up the bridge and cross the roads , turn left then right - this should bring you to the lobby area. It is the building with the big JP Morgan signage on its facade.
Front Desk - The warm cookies were offered without asking. Friendly staff. Controlled lighting.
Elevators to the rooms are tucked in the far right corner. Rooms accessed only by key card.
10th Floor brings you to the function rooms, business center and swimming pool. Free internet access there.
Room is what one comes to expect of the Doubletree brand. My room window gives me a full expanse of the city to the mountains in the background. My front door opens up to the Twin Towers view.
The lower floors are shopping mall-ish with a food court and a grocer stocked with a huge variety of goods. There are some good bakeries too.

Room Tip: Choose rooms between xx15-xx20 to get both the mountain and Twin Towers view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
DoubleTree-KL_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

Dear Mei H,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our famous DoubleTree cookie at check-in, and you found your room scenery and the property facilities to your liking. I hope to be able to welcome you back to DoubleTree by Hilton soon!

Reviewed July 6, 2014

The hotel is nice, every thing you would expect from a 4 star hotel, and it is closer to 5 stars than to 3. Rooms are spaceous, clean and well kept. Staff is helpful and polite. The hotel shares the building with other shops and restaurants, but you learn your way inside, how to get to the reseption etc., right away.

Our room, 1512, was facing away from Twin Towers. Maybe you can get a room on the other side, if you ask for it. To us, it was not a must.

The pool area is on level 10. It is also clean and well kept. Don't expect too much sun there, because there are high walls on 3 out of 4 sides. I know the place is close to equator, but anyway...

The hotel has a "grown-up atmosphere", but there where plenty of kids there too. We did not go for breakfast, so I can't tell if it's good or not. We will definately go back.

Room Tip: Our room, facing away from Twin Towers and the road in front, was quiet and nice.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Dear Norwegianviking69,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.

I am delighted that you had taste our warm & caring service and you found your room to your liking. I trust you also enjoyed our famous DoubleTree cookie.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to DoubleTree by Hilton soon!

Reviewed July 5, 2014

I was actually hesitant booking at this hotel but based on the reviews I have read in the past, I did it anyway.

To start with, I booked at the executive suite and boy! it was gorgeous and roomy. The benefits of the staying at the executive floor is that, breakfast and appetizers/drinks at night are included.
The breakfast was awesome! Hot breakfast noodles, fried rice, sausages, eggs, baked tomatoes, hash browns, and bacon. they also have cereal, fresh fruits, and breads. I always have 2 plates and I am good 'til the afternoon. When we come back for the appetizers, they also include all you can drink alcohol, i.e., rum, whiskey, vodka to name a few.

The best part at the executive lounge is the great hospitality of Daan (he's the tall white guy from Netherlands (I think)). He told us where to take the train, how to get to Batu caves, best place to go shopping. He wrote it for us so we won't forget.

The hotel is also located in a mall. So you basically can just go to the first floor and there is a grocery store where you can buy your drinks, etc. There is also a cake store by the elevator and their sponge cakes are so good that I went there every single night.

The hotel also offers free shuttle to the tourist sites. However, they only do "drop offs" not "pick ups" and it's first come, first serve. In the beginning, I thought there will be a line but I was wrong, there was a sign up sheet so if you want to utilize this service, be there to sign up. Otherwise, you will have to wait for another hour.

I opted out of the free shuttle because there's a train station nearby. To get there, go to the same level as the check in floor. Turn left and head out to the bridge - you're basically crossing 2 streets, then take the escalator. A few steps away is the Ampang Park station that you can take basically everywhere. To give you an idea on how much is the fare, it costed me 1.20 ringgit to go to the PETRONAS tower.

The only thing that bothered me, which is not the hotel's fault, was that - while we were there in June, I smelled smoke. I was coughing most of the day and with the heat, it was a bad combo. I found out later that there was a forest fire in Indonesia and the smoke was blown deeper in Malaysia. I noticed that the smell is bad early in the morning but around 10 AM, you can't even smell it anymore.

TIP: If you are traveling with 2 or more, buy your taxi voucher from the airport. The service is called "airport taxi" and their sign is black and yellow. You prepay and the cab is already waiting for you outside.
If you are traveling by yourself and you only have one small luggage, then just take the train. There's a train at the airport that connects you to KL sentral station. From there you can take the LRT that will take you to Ampang Park.
If you don't like to walk that much, I suggest you stay at Hilton because the hotel is right across the kL sentral station

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Jomama_Fosho

Dear Jomama_Fosho,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate you taking time to share the feedback on the hotel.

I am delighted that you had taste our warm & caring service and you found our location, Executive Lounge facilities to your liking. I am happy to hear how Daan looked after you and certainly I will pass on your message to the team for recognition.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for a couple of nights during a business trip. The receptionist was nice and the welcome cookies were tasty. Since I was staying at the upper floor, I get a nice view of KL city center and I love it. Overall, I like their service, hotel room and food. Probably one of the best hotel I ever stayed in this city.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Javier L

Dear javierlow,

Reviewed July 3, 2014

Really enjoyed my stay. Lovely hotel, great staff and good location. Slightly disappointed the bar was so expensive. I bottle of water for example one evening was the equivalent of £7. In a hot country this is very excessive

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo

Dear Scott222B,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.

I am delighted that you had taste our warm & caring service and you found our location. I trust you also enjoyed our famous DoubleTree cookie, and I hope to be able to welcome you back to DoubleTree by Hilton soon!