“Pleasant surprise in KL”

DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #19 of 340 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Sarasota, Florida
“Pleasant surprise in KL”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

Hotel is situated above a small shopping mall that has a supermarket and some nice
restaurants (Chinese dim sum one is excellent).
Rooms were clean but the bed was very hard so sleep was not great. Executive lounge
was pleasant with a good view of the twin towers from its veranda. Very helpful staff. Limited
breakfast is served there or you go down to the "machan" restaurant which offers
a complete range of foods: western, Indian, Malay,Chinese. Really fanatastic selection.
Overall an unexpectedly nice stay - much better than equivalent Doubletree hotels
in the US.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
DoubleTree-KL_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear expediti0nleader,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I am happy that you had a taste of our warm & caring service and you found hotel facilities, Executive Lounge and Makan Kitchen Restaurant to your liking. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Regards Ian Barrow, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

for the beginning I asked for non smoke room but, when I entered the floor, I feel a bad smell of humidity. When I asked the cause, they told me they had maintenance and its nothing special.
Anyway after 2 or 3 nothing changed.
The breakfast is fantastic and you can see cookers from different country cooking in front of your eyes with best materials.
The pool and gym also good.
The room condition and every other things related to room was perfect.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Vatankhah
Dear Vatankhah,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on the hotel.

I am delighted to hear you & your family enjoyed staying with us especially the breakfast experience. I have noted your comment on the room ventilation and I apologies for the inconvenience caused. Please be assured that your concerns have been brought to the attention of the hotel management team so they may be addressed internally.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

This place pretty much ruined my trip to KL.

A few things to note, all the shops advertised in the hotel guide are not open, infact, more than half have never opened.

arrived at 2pm - sorry no rooms ready yet, please have a cookie and we'll have something by 3pm - ok fair enough - Sit's down infront of reception
3.30pm - walk the 3m to the reception desk - "Are there any rooms ready" - Oh yes, here you are.... nice 5star service
3.35pm - get to room
4.15pm - call reception - still waiting for luggage to come up - arrived 20mins later

1 x Horrible night sleep
Bed ridiculously hard, but that's my preference so can;t really do much
Air Con has 3 power settings but only one noise level - Loud

Breakfast -
Have you ever had to wait 5mins or more to be seated for breakfast at a 5* Hotel?
You have to erquest Orange Juice as they don't keep it out
Ran out of Brown Bread, ask the chef, he comes back 5 mins later with white bread, Ask him again do they have brown, he looks at what he has and says white only.
Go to the omlette counter - mushrooms, peppers and tomato pleast. he looks down and is out of tomatoes - "sorry no tomatoes" what anywhere in the hotel?? doesn't even pretend to make an effort
tea arrives - cold and weak

11am - request new hotel room as A/C is too loud. " please let me have a listen in a few rooms so I can get something I can sleep in, when you're ready, here's my mobile number"
2pm follow up request, recpetionist " I've reserved you an alternative room, right next door to the one your in"??? shock horror just as bad
10.30pm, still no follow up from them, head downstairs to reception - "sorry no one knows anything about it!"
11pm - Night Duty Manager finally comes to the rescue and finds us a better room which had a seperate lounge/bedroom - Many thanks Afzal. Only oddity was that the bathroom has no main door and only 3/4 doors to the cubicles, so if you switch on the light or use the toilet, anyone with you gets woken up and enjoys any sounds and smells aswell.

Pool - Ridiculously cold and barely gets any sun
Taxi Rank - only pre booked or Hotels executive fleet(read epensive) cars.

I could go on, but it really is Terrible.

Room Tip: Avoid it, unless you like punishing yourself
7 Thank Mr_Maz
Dear Mr_Maz,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.

I am disappointed to hear you did not taste our warm & caring service on you recent trip with us. Please accept my apologies for the shortfall in service and disappointing experience throughout the stay. I would appreciate if you can send me the details of your reservation so we can follow up with team on the reception service. Please directly write to me at Ian.Barrow@hilton.com, and I can then provide you a better response.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

We don't normally stay at Double Tree Hilton in KL, unfortunately it was a last minute trip and our usual hotel of choice was fully booked. The experience at Double Tree was pretty average. The buffet dinner was really dull, food was dry and uninspired. The toilet bowl in our room was clean but badly stained.

Staff at reception were cold and not very helpful. We were needing to extend our trip by another day and thought since we had already checked in, we would continue staying at the Double Tree. When we requested an extension, we were told that the hotel was fully booked. A couple of minutes later, my husband went online and managed to book us a room. So I'm not sure what was going on.

All in all, quite a forgettable stay. I wouldn't be recommending Double Tree.

1 Thank Weebly2013
Dear Weebly2013,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.

I am disappointed to hear you did not taste our warm & caring service on you recent trip with us. Please accept my apologies for any shortfall in service. I would appreciate if you can send me the details of your reservation so we can follow up with team on the bathroom cleanliness and reception issue. Please directly write to me at Ian.Barrow@hilton.com, and I can then provide you a better response.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

This is our second stay at this wonderful hotel, & everything about it has risen in stature. We found the staff in envy way a pleasure & accommodating. The room & the amenities were outstanding & location could not have been better. The Ampang railway station was suburb for getting us to wherever we wanted to go at minimum cost. Simple conveniences such as the Jaya supermarket below, swimming pool & gym & guest lounges were as good as we've ever experienced. We will return in the near future.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear robnhuzy,

Thank you for staying with us again.

I am happy that you both had a taste of our warm & caring service and you found our hotel facilities and service to your liking especially the location. I look forward to having the opportunity to meet up with you in the future.

Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

The staff are well meaning but do not appear to be that well trained. They are not very efficient and forget things like bringing your bags to your room, or that they were meant to pass on presentations to our colleagues..... 'Presentations sir, no we definitely do not have those', 'No, sir, definitely no presentations', Whats that, sir', 'What are those on the shelf?' 'Oh, yes, those presentations'.... ?.

As to the lifts,....well, allow at least 20 minutes to get from your room to the lobby if the hotel is busy. That said, once you get to your room, you'll find it to be of a good size and well appointed. Take ear protection though - you'll need it if you turn on the air conditioning. The rooms are a contrast to breakfast which was both woeful in its variety and quality, with those dishes that were on hand often left empty.

Lots of great hotels in KL. This is not one of them. Go elsewhere!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tomandben
Dear Tomandben,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on the hotel.

I have noted your comments regarding the disappointing experience and I apologize for any shortfall in service. Please be assured that your concerns have been brought to the attention of the hotel management team so they may be addressed internally.

I hope you will consider staying with us again and I will able to welcome you back to DoubleTree by Hilton soon!

Regards Ian Barrow, General Manager.
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Staff very helpful and accommodation very good. Was an enjoyable stay. I was attending a course in the hotel and it was all very convenient to stay in the same location. Check in and check out were very smooth. Was only a short walk to KLCC.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Paul P,

Thank you for sharing your experience on the hotel.

I am delighted to hear you had taste of our warm, caring and attentive service during your stay with us. We are glad to know you found hotel facilities/meeting venue to your liking.

We look forward to welcome you back to DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur.