“It was just not a "hilton"”

DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #19 of 342 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Tokyo, Japan
“It was just not a "hilton"”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Upon reaching the hotel at noon, being hungry and tired, all I want was to get a warm welcome from the concierge.i had to carry my own bags,searching for the lobby is already slightly devastating as I noticed that to hotel almost looks like a mall. Checking in was slightly disappointing as it was it organized at all. Everyone was all over the place. Welcome cookie, nice touch, welcome drink, also a nice touch,the only problem was there were no clean glasses. Checked in. Went to the room, it was a nice room, love the huge mirror! Almost like the marina bay sands in singapore..the bathroom door lock jams once in a while,so we gotta give it a little push and force to get it open. Shower was crappy! Needs to be fixed as it was just not coordinated with the volume control valve. The worst part was that there were no amenities. Why? Pool was super cold and dirty. Mouldy at each corners, so I recommend not to rest your head there. Couldn't order room service cause they were out of food. Upon checking out, the receptionist didn't even look up and acknowledge us.took the key card and say thank you while looking at her computer. The only good service that we get was a concierge named Anand, he was fantastic. Even helped us hail a taxi, unlike the other concierge. Putting such a horrifying service in view, he deserves an acknowledgement. You need to up your service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LilyL1
DoubleTree-KL_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Lily-iskandar,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.

I am disappointed to hear you did not taste our warm & caring service on you recent trip with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for the poor service upon arrival/departure and faulty bathroom. I would appreciate if you can send me the details of your reservation so we can follow up with team on the room service issue. Please directly write to me at Ian.Barrow@hilton.com, and I can then provide you a better response.

Nevertheless, I am happy to hear Anand, our Concierge team looked after you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards Ian Barrow, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Penang, Malaysia
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Not a very good experience staying at this hotel. Bathroom door were broken; toilet flush were not working on 2nd day. The experince in the front desk were a bit disappointed. the excutive lounge was good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

2 Thank Sea Chooi N
DoubleTree-KL_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Sea Chooi N,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor and SALT questionnaire survey.

I apologize for the disappointing experience throughout your stay with us. I fully understand your disappointments with the service and I trust my team will respond to you on a separate email with a better response.

I hope we have the opportunity to provide better service in future for you.

Hobart, Australia
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stayed at this hotel only for one night, last week. As being a Hilton Honors Diamond member, I have stayed at many hotels in the Hilton Portfolio, although i have never received such excellent service in every single way. I checked in early (around 8am) and, even though the hotel was fully booked all week due to a conference, I was granted an instant upgrade to the Executive Deluxe King Suite (from a regular King Room). In addition, my room was cleaned by housekeeping in less than one hour, and in the mean time, I had a superb breakfast. My room was exquisite, spacious and had an amazing view.

The thing that stood out for me with this hotel was the service. Nothing was too hard for any of the staff. Most importantly, Keith, in the executive lounge; everything was a breeze and he went out of his way.. no, more than out of his way to make sure I had absolutely everything I needed. If you are reading this DoubleTree KL General Manager, you are very lucky to have someone like Keith working for your hotel! In the morning, I chose to test out the Buffet Breakfast downstairs, and it was very impressive , especially the large selection of Asian foods (The DIY Tom Yum Soup especially). In addition to this! Without a worry, I was granted 6pm late checkout to coincide with my late night flight departure.The hotel is in an excellent location, a short walk from KLCC, and The Petronas Towers, and the train station is right at the hotels doorstep.

Safe to say, I will definitely be back, but for much longer!

Thanks so much for a great stay, highly recommended!

Robbie Lewinski

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank 123muffinator
Dear 123muffinator,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the stay with us and how Keith looked after you throughout your stay. He is great in guest service and an asset to the team. We are very proud of the team in DoubleTree by Hilton and we see regular examples of how the team make those little gestures that mean so much to our guests.

I will certainly pass on your message to the team, and I look forward to having the opportunity to meet up with you in the future.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights recently - good news for everyone is now there is WIFI throughout the hotel, including hotel room. Complimentary Wifi in the lobby.

Check in experience was pleasant and quick (didn't have my room but promptly did the upgrade!) and the cookie was a nice welcome! The room was nice sized, regular features that they offer and surprisingly, very nice Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries!

Decent location on "embassy row", the free shuttle is a great help to local attractions and malls. Driver was especially helpful in going out of his way to show the spots to go, things to do. Hotel is about a 5 minute walk from the LRT station, there is a McDonalds/KFC/Pizza Hut across the hotel. In the Intermark building itself (where the hotel is located), there is a supermarket at the lobby, a few restaurants. Ate lunch at Makan Place (11th floor @ DoubleTree) which was very good in fact, and a good value for money.

There is a snazzy nightclub at the Intermark called Providence that is worth checking out, if clubbing is your type of scene - glamorous people, loud music and all that....

Certainly would come back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Alvin H,

Thank you for taking the time to share the feedback on the hotel.

I am happy that you had a taste of our warm & caring service – along with our delicious cookie at check in and also delighted to hear you found hotel location, facilities and service to your liking. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I have stayed here numerous times. The staff are wonderful. The cookie you receive when you check in is delicious and you can purchase it downstairs afterwards. The rooms are beautiful and the view is just great. All the products in the room are really nice and the Washroom is the best part of the room. Rainfall shower, Massive Above counter Sink. Heat lamp. Just Wonderful.
Amazing Location, Priced Normally, and the buffet breakfast is great!

Would recommend for K.L area for sure.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear AnthChidiac,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

sungai petani, kedah
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I supposed to stay 3 nights at Hilton KL and 2 nights at Double Tree KL. However, after 1 night at Double Tree, I check out and back to Hilton KL.

The room is really normal, not up to 5 star or heck even 4 star standard. I even need to call up for shower cap. Bed is just normal, and while my room is facing the LRT at 15th floor, it's really noisy.

Location wise it's ok, although Intermark mall is quite empty. Service is good too.

But for the room, with Rm400++ per night I really won't recommend this hotel to anyone.

While I am a Hilton Premium Club member, I only need to pay RM250 nett for DOuble Tree, However, I will definitely recommend Hilton KL which is only RM50 extra per night.

Room Tip: Opt for higher floor or room not facing the LRT
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
DoubleTree-KL_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear samlee860407,

Thank you for sharing the feedback on the hotel.

I apologize that you were not happy with your room assignment during your recent trip – the issue you raised with the LRT noise maybe not able to rectify quickly, however obviously these can always be improved. The team are very focused on improving all aspects of the hotels service & facilities. I have noted your various issues, and certainly we will work with the team for service improvement.

We hope you will consider giving us a second chance if you return to this area.

Regards Ian Barrow
Busan, South Korea
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Overall, I had a nice time. I would recommend it to another place.

Service: This was okay. The concierge was usually very helpful with directions and suggestions. I was always warmly greeted by staff throughout the hotel. House keeping accidentally threw away a bag with tea that I purchased in it, they were able to recover one and unable to recover my other box. They were extremely apologetic and offered any compensation however none needed, accidents happen!

Room: Very comfortable bed and pillows. The shower nozzle came off three times however and I needed to call maintenance for them to fix it. One time I was in a rush and left the nozzle on the counter, hoping that the housekeeping would notice and call for it to be fixed but they only just put it back into place so I had to call when I got back. That was quite unexpected from the service.

Location: Ideal for me. Only 10 minute walk from the Twin Towers/KLCC and on a line for the subway. Easy to get to all the locations for tourists to visit from the subway. No view of the towers but the view from the city wasn't bad.

Food: I always went to the executive lounge for breakfast, they were always quick to offer my any beverages. The good was good, my favorite was always the different types of humus and the blueberry chocolate chip muffin! I visited the Makan restaurant and it was pretty good. I went early so it was very quite and I think the staff forgot I was there and I had to grab a staff member to get my order. Pretty reasonably priced and the food was enjoyable.

Extras: I took a massage on the 10th floor and that was amazing! 20% discount if you are staying in the hotel. There was also several restaurants and shops inside the same building so it was very convenient. The shampoo/soaps were OK, made my hair very oily so I would bring some of my own next time.

Overall, it had it's positives and negatives. Other Hiltons that I stayed at were nicer but I still had a very enjoyable trip here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Michelle K,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the stay especially our location, room comfortability and Executive Lounge facilities. I have noted your comments on the missing boxes and faulty shower nozzle. I apologize for the challenges you faced and certainly we will work on the training to improve housekeeping service, as it is important for all guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back.