“Awesome hotel in a great location”

DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #20 of 348 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Arrived at about 2.30am and was checked-in swiftly by very friendly and warm staff. I also received a nice, warm cookie, which is their signature gift to their guests. Room was very clean and well appointed and the bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was superb and so tasty with such a huge variety of different foods from Indian to English and fresh juices.

Double Tree's location is great and is only a 10 minute walk to the Petronas Towers. There is also a bus stop nearby where you can catch the hop-on, hop-off tour buses and it is only a small fee to travel. The bus takes you on a detailed tour, but the traffic was just too much for me, so I jumped off at Chinatown and caught a taxi back after finishing my sightseeing.

On my last night of staying at the hotel, I decided to have dinner at the Italian resturant located by the pool. The food was really nice and the service provided by the staff was top class. Couldn't ask for anything more from a hotel, and Double Tree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur really delivered. I would definitely stay here again on my next trip to the beautiful city of KL.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
DoubleTree-KL_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Dear sHaBz79,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience.

I am very happy to hear that the staffs took such good care of you and you found the service and facilities of the property to your liking. Hope to see you return soon! Safe travels.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

I moved to this hotel after a security incident at another Kuala Lumpur hotel (different chain).

The Doubletree in KL offers a similar mediocre room product to a Novotel. Furnishings are cheap, but for the most part thoughtful, and in-room amenities are basic. The resemblance to the Novotel is uncanny at times, evident in the exact copy of the way the 'work desk' and assorted AV and electronics plugs are laid out. Where Doubletree differs from a Novotel is the (just) slightly better level of service. Having said that service is still on-par with a budget hotel chain, being simple and even fumbling at times. Several Concierge requests and bookings were lost of misplaced, resulting in having to make them again. Miscommunications regarding car bookings resulted in being late for meetings and paying the incorrect fares.

Despite being a Diamond Hilton HHonors member securing a room with a bed larger than a single bed was almost impossible. I am not usually one to question the room type - I just need comfort, quiet and decent service, but I struggled to understand why a Diamond member having made a booking more than a month in advance was allocated the lowest category room? After 2 separate staff telling me the hotel was completely full and that there were no other options I was finally was given a king bed room in the same low category. Always surprising how rooms can suddenly be found in a 'completely full' hotel!

In all I 'tried' 3 different rooms, all with the same layout and set-up and the one consistency was the very loud air-conditioner in each of the rooms. Even at the lowest setting the noise is unsettling and turning off the system entirely results in unbreathable air. During my 2 nights I did not get much sleep. The room service menu is vast but most of the offerings are quite heavy. Given the variety of options for food elsewhere in the building guests at the Doubletree are probably better off heading downstairs to one of the non-hotel food outlets.

Each guest is 'welcomed' to the Doubletree with one of their signature warm chocolate chip cookies. It is a fun and frivolous gesture which (might excite a child) but I question if the time and money spent on baking, storing and distributing the cookies could not instead be funneled into other amenities for the rooms or better training for the staff?

Bottom line: I'm not a fan, and with so many higher quality and equally reasonably priced options in KL the world is your oyster!

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from the elevators as possible and if you are a light sleeper consider st...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank LuxeTravelerHK
DoubleTree-KL_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear LuxeTravelerHK,

Thank you for staying with us, and I really appreciate you taking time to share your feedback on the hotel. The guest feedback we receive helps us identify the key areas.

I do understand that your disappointment with the consistent problems you have faced in the hotel as a Hilton Honors member and I also appreciate the frustration you must feel having to experience the air conditioner noise and concierge service. Please directly write to me at Ian.Barrow@hilton.com regarding your recent stay details so I can then provide you a better response.

Again, I apologize for the disappointing experience and I look forward to your reply.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

I went in this hotel because of the location (near my client). Unfortunately, I faced a very weak access to Internet from my room and was unable to work from hotel. This has had a negative business impact. No one has been able to help me getting a real connexion while my PC has always worked anywhere in the world (I'm a serial traveller). And guess what, this Internet access is chargeable.
Another thing quite important to us is to be clean at client's site. Thing is hotel laundry is not good when it comes to iron shirt. I did not try to give my suits.
For family, the hotel can make it. For businessmen, it's too risky.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jeff L

Dear Jeff L,

I have noted your comments on the challenges of internet connectivity and laundry issue. I humbly apologize for the inconvenience caused. I appreciate if you could directly write to me at Ian.Barrow@hilton.com regarding your recent stay details so I can then provide you a better response.

Again, I apologize for the disappointing experience and I look forward to your reply soon.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Check in is a seriously slow affair. Staff are clearly not well trained on the internal systems. Very beaureucratic with little regard to getting tired customers up to their rooms quickly. The three times i stayed there (only because of pricing)i was served by foreign workers; i believe Bangladeshis, who clearly did not understand how a 4 or 5(?) star hotel should present itself to its guests. Also, if you need to call front desk for whatever reason, forget it. They just don't pick up calls. I had drinks at the Axis lounge and again, very disappointing. Service was ok but the quality of the bar food left a whole lot to be desired. Obviously prepared by ill trained kitchen staff with scant regard for optics, taste or quality. Buck up guys! The room quality was so so. I stayed once in a terrace suite and wiring for the tv system was exposed; not a sign that these guys pay attention to details. On my last stay, the room had a musty smell. Would I go there again? Grudgingly but because the pricing is about 100 ringgit inside other equivalent hotels, I just grit my teeth and bear the pain.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank R Y

Dear R Y,

I understand your disappointment with the overall hotel service especially the reception. The guest feedback we receive helps us identify the key areas. Certainly we will work with respective department heads to improve the service and quality, as it is important for all guests.

I also noted your comment on the unpleasant odor in your room. I would appreciate if you could directly write to me at Ian.Barrow@hilton.com regarding your recent stay details so I can then provide you a better response.

Again, I apologize for the disappointing experience.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

The rooms are small however, the amenities and facilities are pretty decent. It's good for solo travelers or a family with 2 small kids. Of course you can opt to the suite if you have a bigger family. We have stayed at the deluxe room as well as executive suite that has the access to the business lounge. That will give you the value for your money, as snacks are provided until 7pm with free wifi facility. You can also have business discussions there, but you need to pay for your guests. Makan Kitchen is where the buffet area is and I love the concept where it offers about 3-4 types of food such as international, Malay,Chinese and Indian cuisines. On weekends during high tea, they set up a children's area with dessert corner, some activities and sometimes clowns. The pool area is not secluded with an Italian restaurant closely. The food there is not bad. After 7pm the bakery offs half priced pastries which is quite good. They also have a free shutte to go to Suriya KLCC. You can also walk to most nearby hotels, putra lrt stations and other places as there is a newly covered bridge available, connected to the building.

There are plenty of cafes and a food court downstairs if you are bored of hotel food.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that can have access to the business lounge. Or view, ask for the ones facing the twin...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Jasmin R,

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the stay especially the location, room amenities, Executive Lounge facilities and our signature restaurant ‘Makan Kitchen’. I trust you also enjoyed our famous DoubleTree chocolate cookie and I look forward to welcoming you back to DoubleTree by Hilton soon!

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Checked in 2 nites on 22 Dec 2012. Cost 512.72 MYR plus taxes, room only.

I have absolutely no complaints about the room. TOTALLY LOVED IT!!

There's a few eateries in the "shopping area" part of the building (me was absolutely thrilled that DOME is housed in the same building!) and of course fast food restaurants juz across the road.

But the nonsense things about this hotel, to me, were:

1. The check-in staffs >>> There’s like about 7 staffs when I arrived at the front desk area on the hotel lobby. Im not sure as to where the actual check-in line was so I proceed to queued on the right side nearer to the escalator. There's juz 1 guest checking-in infront of me but it they took forever to check this guest in!! After like more than 15 minutes, it was my turn. But I got turned away almost immediately (by 2 staffs) coz apparently the line was meant for Hilton Honnors guests only!! I then proceed to the next line and got turned away again (by 2 staffs)!! Apparently I was in the wrong line AGAIN. This time it was meant for airline crews only. Then I proceed to went to this line which was the correct one… Finally! BUT there’s only 1 guy behind the counter… and there’s like 5 peeps infront of me!!! Gosh. Why wasnt there someone to direct me to the correct line front the start??

2. Shuttle service >>> There’s a shuttle service schedule placed in the room. This service was provided to make it convenient for hotel guests right?? Unfortunately for me….. Went down 10 minutes earlier than the scheduled timing…. First time, I wasted the whole extra 10 minutes waiting for staffs to direct me to the shuttle area. So went up to the room to past time for the next one. Came down 10 minutes earlier for the next scheduled timing. Guess what – a long queue!! Was told that it is best to walk or take cab bcoz the shuttle can only fit certain number of peeps. Gave up & took a cab. Next day, same thing again. Long queue & limited seating capacity in van. Siggghhh…

3. Location >>> True u can walk to Petronas Tower / KLCC. But that’s not the main place to be in KL. And its true there’s a train station close by. But that wun take u directly to Bukit Bintang. And to top it all, it was a nitemare to get back to the hotel after a whole long day of shopping in Bukit Bintang coz after 10pm most cabbies do not want to switch on the meter and they wun take u for less than 25 MYR and the hotel is like less than 10 minutes ride!!

P/S: The 3 star rating I gave for service was for the porters, bellhops, doormans. Front desk service, 1 star - dissapointing. And I was too tired and hungry then to make a big deal out of it.

Conclusion: Will check in here agin if there's a darn good PROMO on room rates!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Dear RozaMoss,

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the stay especially the room and restaurants in retail podium. I understand your disappointment and frustration you have faced upon arrival at reception counters and the shuttle service. I apologize for the inconvenience caused. Certainly we will work with the Front Office team to focus on developing our service. The guest feedback we receive helps us identify the key areas.

Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

Arrived at 7am from a long and tiring flight. Front desk Hairi was very accommodating, got us our rooms and welcome us to DoubleTree. All set and nice way to start off our trip in Kuala Lumpur. Ampang Park station (LRT) 5 minutes walk, KLCC is one stop away.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank BillytheTraveler
DoubleTree-KL_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear BillyD,

I am very happy to hear you enjoyed the stay especially the location and the caring hospitality by our team member, Hairi upon arrival. I trust you also enjoyed our famous DoubleTree chocolate cookie and I look forward to welcoming you back to DoubleTree by Hilton soon!