“Flawless room but...”

Ranked #19 of 345 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Singapore, Singapore
“Flawless room but...”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

My kids, wife and I were in absolute awe of the room: It was spacious, it was spanking clean, it was highly modern yet very, very comfortable, and it even came with a nice bathroom that you could spend your entire day in if that's your thing.....

But if you are planning on driving there, do take note of the following: This hotel is situated on a very very busy road (is it Jalan Tun Razak?) that jams up daily during peak hours (that's between 7-10am and 3.30-8pm). We got stuck in traffic two days in a row trying to get to the hotel, and spent a collective 5 hours just sitting in the queue. So be warned. If you are thinking of driving and staying there during weekdays, think twice. To be fair, being unfamiliar with the roads in KL probably did not help us too much, that we could not just find some back alleys and side roads to short-cut our way back to hotel.

Another thing to note for drivers, the hotel does not provide free car park for guests. You'd have to pay an additional $10 per day.

Oh and one last thing: we found the swimming pool (salt water pool!!) a little too small. In fact the whole swimming pool area is situated in a very confined place, the benches are literally placed right beside the pool. Still, that hadn't stopped my 6 and 7 year olds from having a rollicking good time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank i_am_participating
DoubleTree-KL_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear i_am_participating,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate you taking time to share the feedback on the hotel.

I am delighted to hear you and your family enjoyed our Sweetdream bedding and room.
In particular I noted your comment regarding the parking rate, and we have been working with the Parking management company for improvement. We expect to see some improvements in this area shortly, as it is important for all guests.

I trust you also enjoyed our famous DoubleTree chocolate cookie and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to DoubleTree by Hilton soon!

Regards Ian Barrow, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sheffield
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Overall this hotel is good, I have stayed in better, I have stayed in much worse.

I had to stay away from home during Christmas due to work commitments so wanted somewhere 'special' to spend the time. Overall things were good but why is there no wi-fi in rooms (and yes they are working with their service provider to sort this) but this is 2012? It must also be possible to reduce their in room internet costs as well (48 ringgits for 24 hours is too much), I had to pay, the wi-fi downstairs is too slow to contact my family via skype also, I do not want my private conversations listened to by those in the bar, on Christmas day.

First world problems, I know, but if you are setting yourself up as a premium provider you do NOT make your guests wait 1 hour 15 mins for ice (and I would happily trundle down the hall to get some if that was an option, it is not) nor do you make them leave their room in the middle of the night to great their relatives via wi-fi just because they are in a different timezone).

So, three (if only there was a 2.5 option) stars primarily because this is marketed as a premier hotel but there is a significant lack of care going on. If it was a three star hotel and that was reflected in the price then I would happily give a four out of five rating,

Room Tip: There are rooms with a view over the Petronas Towers, make sure you reserve one.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank farqualar
Dear farqualar,

I do understand your disappointment with the Wi-Fi service and I apologize for the inconvenience caused. The installation of Wi-Fi cablings are expected to be finished in the next 2-3 months. Again, please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointing experience during the festive season. The teams are very focused on improving all aspects of the hotels service & facilities.

I look forward to welcoming you back to DoubleTree by Hilton soon!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Booked 2 nights on a cash + points rate. As a Hilton Gold member, was upgraded to the Executive Floor, free wired Internet, free buffet breakfast and free laundry (3 pieces per day).

Pros: This hotel was very close to the Ampang Park LRT station, which made getting around KL on public transit without driving through KL traffic spotlessly easy. And who could forget the warm chocolate chip cookies offered by the Doubletree on check in? Parking was fantastically priced at RM10 for the entire weekend. It was my father's birthday and the concierge were great at providing a fantastic birthday cake, delivered personally to our room as well. The gym was spotless and well-maintained.

Cons: It was surprising that the Internet was only wired in-room, though the public areas and the Executive Lounge had WiFi access. But that's just a small gripe from me. Otherwise, the service was flawless and my parents were spoilt by the Doubletree.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank joelyong
DoubleTree-KL_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Dear joelyong,

I am delighted to hear you & your family enjoyed the stay especially the location, our famous DoubleTree chocolate cookie and hotel services.

I have noted your comment on the Wi-Fi service. We are working with the service provide to improve this area, and expected to be finished in the next 2-3 months.

I look forward to welcoming you & your family back to DoubleTree by Hilton soon!

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Bed was uncomfortable, pillows too flat, TV - can't view some channels, it's like signal was too low , Called for extra bottled water - hotel replied they only provided 2 complimentary bottled water per day (so stingy!!- seriously never encountered this problem in other hotels I've stayed EVER), only good thing is the Breakfast, massive spread of Malay, Indian and Chinese cuisine, staff at breakfast was wonderful too

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
DoubleTree-KL_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear 24n,

I noted your various comments and I am sorry that we obviously did not meet your expectations on the last trip. The teams are very focused on improving all aspects of the hotels service & facilities.
I appreciate your feedbacks and I look forward to welcoming you back shortly.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

A Hilton with no wi-fi in the room sounds like a thing of the past, but this hotel makes no apology about not being up to par with most modern hotels, even by Kuala Lumpur standard. I have stayed in many different hotels in KL and all of them provided wi-fi in the room. It's becoming a standard facility. Naturally, when I checked into this one early in December, to my horror they said I needed a cable to get hooked up with the Internet in the room. They said I could use the wireless in the lobby for free but the connection was frustratingly slow. They also offered to put me on the waiting list for a wireless "router", which I could lease for a fee, but since there were only a few routers, then I couldnt get one immediately. They promised that I should get one on my second day of staying, but of course, they never delivered on their promise.
So there I was, along with many others who had come for a conference, virtually incommunicado or cut off from the rest of the world for three solid days. This hotel is one you want to avoid unless you plan on taking a trip back to the past.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Endy B
Dear EndyB,

I do understand your disappointment with the Wi-Fi service and I apologize for the inconvenience caused. We are working with the service provider to improve this area, and expected to be finished in the next 2-3 months.

Thank you again for taking the time to let us know about your disappointing experience, and I hope we have the opportunity to provide better service in future for you.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Wow! The rooms are really big and spacious, luxury living. Even the bathroom is big and comes with unique design. Well furnished and equipped rooms. Can even get a beautiful night view of the famous Petronas Twin Towers of KL when walking along the corridor. The fitness centre is well equipped and friendly trainers. Only setback is the little confusion of trying to get here if you drive due to the traffic diversions.

Room Tip: If possible request for rooms facing the twin towers or swimming pool.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear AlvinTaikor,

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the stay especially the location, room design and fitness center. I trust you also enjoyed our famous DoubleTree chocolate cookie and I look forward to welcoming you back to DoubleTree by Hilton soon!

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We had requested for an early check-in at 1:00pm during booking. But when arrived, was made to wait for 45min to have our room ready but in the end was upgraded from Deluxe to Executive room (not sure what's the difference other than it is located on higher floors). Nice to have self-serviced welcome drink and was given the signature Doubletree chocolate cookies which is delicious.

Room is modern and size is just ok.
The king bed is normal comfort level but the down quilt is really comfy. This is not the same bed we experienced in US which was very comfy. The bed has 5 feather pillows which are rather high (not as soft) to my partner and my liking. They do have a pillow menu if you love other types but we didn't bother to change.
Bathroom has the basic amenities but missing the bathtub. Thought it should be the standard for a 5-star hotel. A little dissapointed since this is the first 5-star hotel we stayed without a bathtub but the rain shower is great. The shower amenities are from Crabtree and Evelyn under the Citron range which is refreshing and mosturizing.
The view from the room is just average as its facing the residential area instead of the city centre with skyscrapers.

Service is considered to be average as request for additional amenities took 10min to deliver. Even for check-out, we waited for 30min for the porter to arrive to help with our luggage. There is an added bonus as we were surprised the hotel has turndown service when we were back to the room at night. The staff though are friendly.

The nearest major shopping centre is Suria KLCC which is about 10-15min by foot or you can take the complimentary shuttle service. There is another Ampang Point shopping nearby but its not worth going.

The Breakfast is just normal and you get Malay, Chinese, and Indian food. Not many varieties and taste is just ok.

Our stay is just normal and nothing special.

Tip: You can always request for additional 2 complimentaty pillows if the 5 per bed is not enough.

Room Tip: You may want to stay in a suite to have a nice city view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank UnderTheSheets
DoubleTree-KL_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear UnderTheSheets,

I have noted to your various comments, and I apologize for the disappointing experience upon arrival. The teams are very focused on improving all aspects of the hotels service & facilities.

I trust you both also enjoyed our famous DoubleTree chocolate cookie and I look forward to welcoming you back to DoubleTree by Hilton soon!