“Hotel which doesn't feel like a hotel”

DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #19 of 341 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Malaysia
“Hotel which doesn't feel like a hotel”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Double Tree is obviously a sharply modern, well-appointed hotel entirely characteristic of the Hilton brand.

Precisely because it is supposed to be so high in the league that I must highlight some of its features which were at best irritating, and at worst a letdown.

First irritant was how the hotel lobby was up a flight of steps then up a flight of escalators, on Level 2. It didn't help when you taxi stopped at the presumed "front door" of the hotel and there was no porter to greet you and help you lug your luggage up the steps into what appeared to be a deserted shopping mall. The only ones to greet you were some uniformed porters behind a plain-looking counter. No one appeared to be keen to rush forward to greet you or welcome you. You looked puzzled and worried that you were either in a wrong place or had perhaps missed the hotel foyer and ended up in a shopping centre's car jockey counter. Direct questioning resulted in someone pointing to a sign which said that hotel foyer and check in was up the escalator.

After checking-in I was told to negotiate around a central area of coffee lounge/?foyer, turn left then right then left again to the lifts which could not be seen from the check in- desk. The hotel could be expriencing shortage of staff as besides those manning the check-in counter,there wasn't staff around to ask for directions or to help with the luggage - presumably they were all on Level 1 behind their porter/concierge counter.

Certainly there was no ambience of welcome and luxury expected of a great hotel. It just didn't feel hospitable.

The room was great though. I loved the reading light and the crispy elegance.

The second irritant was the absence of BASIC toiletries. Imagine stepping into the bathroom all ready for a relaxing rainfall shower and reaching our for the standard toiletries only to be told to contact "CareLine" to get your shower cap! Toweling dry and getting back into dirty clothes, calling "CareLine" and waiting for your shower cap to be delivered was exasperatingly UNamusing. It does not cost the hotel a fortune to include at shower cap in its toiletry tray, neither will it be accused of an ecological crime if it makes it easy for its tired guest to get his or her hands on a pvc shower cap.

The third irritant was that wifi was not available in the coffee lounge/?foyer area right by the check-in counter. After successive staff at the check-in counter had their fifth attempt at accessing wifi with a non-functioning password, I was told, "Sorry, not sure why cannot get the Wifi. Password should work." I gave up.

The final irritant was the non-appearance of my taxi which was booked for 5.00 am. Not only was the taxi late, the porters at Level 1 insisted I had to pay the taxi fare myself when I had already paid for the fare at check-out. That resulted in several futile journeys up and down the escalator to verify if payment had indeed been made. Eventually I had to go back up to Level 2 to identify the staff who handled my check-out. Not funny when there was an early flight to catch and the clock was ticking.

If Double Tree wishes to pride itself as a top-notch hotel, it should do very well to get its act together and try not to be so irritating.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank GeeJee
DoubleTree-KL_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear GeeJee,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.

Please accept my apologies for the recent challenges with your stay at DoubleTree by Hilton. I do understand that your disappointment with the problems you have faced in the hotel, and I would appreciate if you can send me your booking details so we can work with the team on improving the service for all guests. Please directly write to me at Ian.Barrow@hilton.com, and I can then provide you a better response.

Please accept my apologies again, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards Ian Barrow, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Perth
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Although branded as Doubletree of the Hilton stable this Kuala Lumpur hotel is every bit of the Hilton class as compared to another Doubletree that I have stayed in California ealier this year. The new refurbished rooms are great, and having a Hilton Gold card earned me access to the Executive lounge for drinks and cocktails in the evening. The staff are warm and friendly and special mention must be made of Mr Khalid of the Executive lounge who took special efforts to remember names to call them with a personal touch. But if you need to park your car at the hotel you will be charged RM10 per day as the car park is under the Intermark building management rather than the hotel's.

Room Tip: Get a room away from elevators.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
DoubleTree-KL_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear PerthVince_K,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate you taking time to share the feedback on the hotel.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and I do appreciate the recognition of the great work the team does, and I have congratulated the team for these points too.
In particular I noted your comment regarding the parking rate, we are working with the car parking management to improve this area, as it is important for all guests.

Bangalore
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

Out of this world VIEW and SERVICE!!! Awesome HUGE rooms, balcony, HUGEEE Bathrooms........everything is as it is as it should be in a 7 star hotel (it's not a 7 star but facilities are at par).....every small detail was cared for......the only minus was the MYR 600 deposit in spite of full Pre payment.......hope the blocked money is returned soon......centrally located with free shuttle to various parts of KL every hour........KFC and Pizza Hut just across the street.......many fancy and good outlets like hameeds, dome, subway,etc. in the same building.......fancy bars are also there......one of the best in house Buffets I have ever had at MAKAN......Hats off to the chef......very nice swimming pool, sauna, steam and gym with trainers........only thing missing was a jacuzzi.........Keep it up KULDT.........

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jagshan S
DoubleTree-KL_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear NeoBangalore,

I am delighted to hear you both enjoyed the stay especially our Sweetdream bedding, the location and hotel facilities and services. I noted your comment on the pre-authorization charge and I trust my team has responded to you in another separate email.

Kochi (Cochin), India
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This Hotel is ideally located, has great view excellent rooms but overall experience lets you down. The Hotel is part of a Shopping Mall and the entry, lobby etc do not give you a feel of a Hotel, especially one from the Hilton Brand. The location is also good and if you are lucky to get a room on the road side you can get a view of the twin towers. But the back side also offers great view. The Rooms are very comfortable and done in exqusite style. The sleep quality is great and they offer a wide range of pillows! Getting a table for breakfast is like getting into a crowded bus station and you are lucky to find a table in about 10 minutes. But the food offered is very tasty with excellent range available right from Chinese, Indian & Continental.
Unfortunately this Hotel do not offer wifi in the rooms!
Overall a great place for a Business traveller but not for liesure.

Room Tip: Try for main road facing ones, you can have a view of the city including the Petronas Towers.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank reghu r
Dear reghu r,

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the stay especially the location, our Sweetdream bedding & pillows. I have noted your comments about the disappointing experience in Makan Kitchen and I apologize for the inconvenience caused. Certainly we will work with the team for training and develop better service in future.

I trust you also enjoyed our famous DoubleTree chocolate cookie and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you & your family back to DoubleTree by Hilton soon!

London
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Doubletree for one night in October 2012. It is a very nice hotel very near to the Petronas Towers. The room was good & we also had a late checkout which was helpful as we had a late flight to Langkawi.

The downsides was that the hotel is very far from the airport - over an hour away & traffic can be bad. Apart from the Petronas Towers & shopping malls there isin't much else to do in KL. Also it is extremely hot & humid & we found the heat unbearable.

However, the hotel is very nice & I would recommend this to anyone visiting KL.

• Stayed October 2012
DoubleTree-KL_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Dear T1bby,

I am delighted to hear you both enjoyed the stay especially our Sweetdream room. I trust you also enjoyed our famous DoubleTree chocolate cookie and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to DoubleTree by Hilton soon!

malaysia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed in a room with a very good view to the city lights and mountains at the background, totally unblocked view. The room was very clean and contemporary designed. A delicious welcome cookie was given upon check in,

The bathroom has no bath tub, a bit small, so it was separated by a glass partition to the other part of room. The glass wall increase spacious feel but still give us privacy with a motorised blind to cover it. However, things like shower cap is only provided upon request.

The swimming pool has a view to the famous KLCC Tower that could also be viewd from the adjoining Italian restaurants.

The hotel has a buffet restaurant Makan Kitchen that offer good local food (Chinese, Indian and Malay food) at very good value for money price.

If you want varieties, they are also a few restaurants and cafe in the same building. Morever, this hotel is in city centre, you could venture the major shopping malls or go the major office buildings woth the hotel shuttle bus.

Room Tip: Choose one with KLCC view or the city view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
DoubleTree-KL_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear happy128,

I am delighted to hear you both enjoyed the stay especially the location, our Sweetdream room and our signature restaurant, Makan Kitchen. I trust you also enjoyed our famous DoubleTree chocolate cookie and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to DoubleTree by Hilton soon!

Ipoh
Reviewed November 3, 2012

This is the first Doubletree in Malaysia, but the hotel was renovated from an old hotel, sitting above a refurbished mall, the Intermark, near KLCC. The room is clean, and not overly decorated. In line of other Doubletree, Cabtree and Everlyn's Citrus are being used as toiletries.
We were given a warm signature chocolate cookie upon check in, is really a nice touch! We like it so much that we ordered the cookies through the room service.

The location is near KLCC but it is still far compared to Mandarin Oriental, Traders, the new Grand Hyatt, Westin, Marriott, etc..

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Tedbeh,

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the stay especially our famous DoubleTree chocolate cookie and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to DoubleTree by Hilton soon!