“Thumbs up, perhaps apart from the location”

DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #19 of 345 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Thumbs up, perhaps apart from the location”
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Location: on the edge of the city centre, not quite in the thick of things but just about close enough to be not too much of a hassle.

Check-in experience: handled efficiently, and one gets an excellent soft-baked chocolate cookie fresh from the oven whilst you're at it.

Room: not huge but certainly ample. Newly-renovated with a clean modern look and a trendy glass-walled bathroom with decent quality Crabtree & Evelyn amenities.

Service standards: our only reference point was asking housekeeping for some additional amenities, which took fifteen minutes to arrive.

Immediate surroundings: sits atop a shopping mall, which makes it pretty handy if one needs to pick up some everyday convenience items like water, juice or reversible dual-mode massage chair.

Check-out experience: again efficiently handled, though no soft-baked cookie on departure... you can't win them all!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Doubletree-KL_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, August 10, 2011
Dear William_N
Greetings from Doubletree by Hilton.

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the rooms and of course our famous Doubletree chocolate chip cookie.
We appreciate the support and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Doubletree by Hilton soon!

Regards Ian Barrow, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
sydney, australia
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I stayed here for two nights in early March 2011, making the booking directly with the hotel for a king-bed deluxe room.

Arrival

After having arrived at the KL Sentral station, I used their taxi counter to purchase a coupon here but the hotel being quite new, the driver didn’t know where it was located, even with the address provided. It appeared to be quite a difficult hotel to access and basically the car needed to turn left and then go around the block before getting to the hotel. It was quite a difficult experience as the driver took some time to find the right way to go.

The hotel is located within a building which also housed a few other shops which may or may not be associated with the hotel in some way and upon getting to the base of this building, there was no help with luggage or welcome at all. Only upon entering this building and walking a little, apparently entering the 'hotel proper' did I receive assistance with the luggage. I took the escalator up to get to the check-in area.

The check-in area was very open and large. There were plenty of places to sit and lounge. The attendants didn’t seem all that enthusiastic but everything appeared quite relaxed and a room was soon assigned. I was given a warm chocolate chip cookie, a Doubletree trademark.

The Room

My room gave an impression of space with a big and pleasant entrance area. The design was quite minimalist in philosophy, suggesting an approach targeting a fuss-free, clean and uncomplicated experience for the customer, much like Starwood’s Four Points by Sheraton brand, although the Doubletree does appear a little more upmarket.

There was a nice and comfortable sofa. I liked the glass looking directly into the bathroom, which could be shut off by an automated blind. The bathroom itself was merely alright, unfortunately there was no bathtub but the bathroom had a rainshower, which was very good with strong water pressure and the bathrobes were nice and fluffy.

The bed was quite comfortable and I found the bed pillows to be comfortable, with both firm and soft options directly available on the bed. The reading light was of an interesting design and functioned well.

The room also provided a multiplug adaptor so that would be helpful and would save having to request one, which may or may not be available.

Negatives to note about the room included the fact that there was the faint sound of the lift operating which was often present. Also, the wood quality used with the sliding bathroom door appeared to be an issue and the door would not lock after a while as the wood in the lock area had splintered and prevented the lock from functioning properly.

Please note that videos of the room appear in the link on my profile page.

Facilities and Common Areas

I had breakfast twice at the Makan Kitchen, during both times the service was friendly and attentive. The spread was large with a diverse cuisine range including both Indian and Japanese selections. It was a fair distance to walk to sample all the food available but the kitchen was open and it was interesting to watch the food being prepared. The restaurant also had open views of the surrounding areas and had a bright and airy feel about it. It certainly contrasted quite sharply with my breakfast experience at the Hilton Kuala Lumpur Sentral, which I remember as being quite crowded and not all that relaxing.

I had room service once and the meal of steak was very warm and hearty, the room service attendant was also quite friendly. So far, I’ve had very good experiences with the food quality from the Hilton hotels, including the room service at the Hilton KL Sentral.

I tried the sauna and steam room once and they were both of a good quality, the showers were also quite pleasant. The hotel had an outdoor pool which looked quite nice and particularly colourful during the evening, there was also a spa next to the pool outdoors.

Location

The immediate surroundings didn’t look like they offered much to tourists. The hotel was, however, located close to the Chinese consulate which was where I applied for my visa to China, so it was convenient for that purpose. However, it looked like a walk of perhaps ten to fifteen minutes would be needed to get to any real spots of interest for the tourist, including the KLCC area but the heat could be an issue if walking for this distance in KL. I note from previous reviews that the hotel is located close to the Ampang Park metro station, giving access to other parts of the city and I wasn’t aware of that at the time.

Conclusion

Overall, the hotel offered a very pleasing stay, the rooms were clean and non-fussy with a simple and functional design. The staff service and attitude were generally quite good, although not outstanding. It was a good experience overall with location being the only slight issue because it’s certainly not like the hotels in the Bukit Bintang or KLCC areas, which are right smack in the middle of it all but provided you are aware of how to navigate the immediate surroundings and how to take advantage of the nearby transport options, then the Doubletree KL could be a very good all-round experience.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Searching for an great place to stay in the heart of KL wasn't easy as it looks considering I had a horrible exprience the last time I was in KL. When I saw that Hilton had just renovated a hotel in KL then I definitely had to try it since they were offering the rooms as discounted prices. Well searching for the entrance of the hotel proved a bit of a challenge for my cab driver but nevertheless we found it. During the time I stayed here the hotel was newly renovated you could actually smell the fresh paint which wasn't that bad. It was actually gave me nice feeling to know that I was the first person to ever use that room. Having worked in the hotel industry for quite sometime I couldn't help but be critical on details. I really loved the little note they placed on my pillow with a quote from Mother Theresa. It made my stay much more personal and unforgettable. Having just come from the Maldives I really didn't care much for the pool although it was beautiful. I stayed here for only 2 nights but I wish I got to stay longer since most of the time I was out shopping at KLCC. This hotel gave me good memories of Kuala Lumpur and I would definitely stay here again if I ever come back. I'm glad to have been one of the hotel's first guests. By the way, I really like the see-through bathroom.

Room Tip: try to check for promotions before booking
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Christchurch
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stayed as Hilton H Honor guests and were upgraded to a suite, which was very stylish and roomy with a separate lounge and a kitchette/desk area. Positives were: the decor was lovely, the aircon great. The robes and slippers were very welcome and the bed was large and comfortable. The Executive Club was very nice and breakfast there was very good and free wine in the evening (rare in Malaysia) was terrific - there's a small outdoor balcony (34th floor) which looks onto the Petronas Towers! We received a small amount of laundry done free, which helped. All the young staff were very polite and professional. The Malaysian restaurant onsite is huge and wonderful - many different cuisines, cooked to your liking in a very classy environment. Negatives were: The kitchenette is almost unusable as it has no crockery or flatware! The pool is average - it's very public, being situated next to a multi-level hotel bar and it's shady as it's in a courtyard, looked down on by about 30 floors of rooms. The hotel itself is quite a walk from the Golden Triangle, or even the P/towers. The toilet door is clear glass, which allows no privacy from the bathroom area and if the bathroom door is open, then people in the building across the way could see you on the loo! There's a rain-shower above and next to the bath - if you haven't adjusted the button correctly and turn it on expecting a wall shower, you can get soaked! By far the worst thing was that I found bugs in our bathroom! Weird, wriggly little things that looked like white bits of paper with a worm at the end creeping along...yuk! They were in the bathroom, toilet and shower area and I called management. They came and looked and fumigated, but I had to ask TWICE to get the toilet floor cleaned as I had found the bugs as well as human hair, and spilt liquid soap in there on arrival. They gave us a nice fruit basket to apologize, but asking twice is poor service. So a mixed experience overall. While in KL visit Jalan Alor for cheap Chinese food at Dragon View restaurant and a foot massage next door at a very clean place - NZ$12 for 30 mins! The Islamic Arts Museum is gorgeous, The butterfly park was ok (very humid) but AVOID the bird park. It had the saddest looking birds (especially the half dead hornbills) in a dirty environment that provided no information or guides. Horrible.

Room Tip: Be member of Hilton H Honors.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Shepperton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Nice thought on arrival which was late evening, hotel busy, reception staff stressed and found it impossible to smile.
Room as you would expect, but personally hate the window to bathroom, but there is a blind for privacy sake. Ordered room service meal, read back to me, waiter brought wrong meal, I did not notice being tired until I started to eat and could not be bothered to report. Service called me, said i could change as mistake was made, but I declined, I ordered a chicken salad and got hot chicken with mash, no matter, another sign of stressed staff?

Breakfast amazing in the Malay restaurant, but again staff found it hard to cope.

Location is great for the towers, but for me for general shopping and nearby restaurants not as good as Sentral Hilton for example, but knew the location so cannot complain.

Doormen as any hotel trying to sell taxi so they get a backhander, in particular to the airport. My tip for that is get the NON express train as the TRANSIT train is a third of the price, stops a few times, but only adds 7-8 to the journey time.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
England
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Stayed here for 5 nights as part of our trip to malaysia. Arriving after a 18 hour flight from the UK it was lovely to be greeted by such lovely staff who welcomed us with a smile and took our bags to the check in desk. Executive room was lovely with a beautiful city view. Loved the rain shower and being able to enjoy the city view whilst in the bathroom! Executive lounge access was definately worth the money... A nice place to relax and have a bite to eat and some free drinks before heading out for the evening. Free wifi there too. It was my birthday while we were there and a beautiful chocolate cake was delivered to our room which was such a lovely thought!
The only negative i had was that the fire alarm went off at 3am on our first night and in a panic (as we thought we could smell smoke) we proceeded to run to the fire escape... We then ran down 28 floors which took us about 15mins even though we are fit and in our 20's. We didnt see any staff at all on our way down. The fire exits also werent clear and we ended up on the basement floor and couldnt find a way out which made me panic. Ended up going to level 1 where we were told not to worry. But the staff werent clear of the official way out!! Made me terrified of being on the 28th floor after that. And my legs hurt for days from all the running!
Overall a brilliant hotel though within easy walking distance of the petronas towers and has a nearby metro station!

• Stayed July 2011
wales
Reviewed July 22, 2011

have just stayed 3 nights at this hotel,hotel was beautiful inside,very good staff,only trouble was the building work at a new hotel which you could see from the pool area.it is a good 10 minute walk to the klcc at the petronas towers,where you will find some great bars including one called malones,great food and great beer..also some great clubs nearby including one called the beach club!!!!!also maybe instead of going up the petronas towers a good idea is to go up the old tower,no waiting and a great view of the towers and get the train back to airport,taxi to central station and the the airport express..

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends