“Good hotel but expected a little more.”

DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #19 of 346 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Ayrshire, United Kingdom
“Good hotel but expected a little more.”
Reviewed May 8, 2011

A good quality hotel, but slightly let down upon arrival. We arrived at 13:30 and expected our room to be ready, after all it was non refundable and we only had 30mins to go until official check in. Our room was not ready, and we were offered a twin ( I was travelling with my wife). I said we would wait until 2pm for our room, but the check in girl said she could not guarantee that our room would be ready at 2pm. I was not happy and pointed out to her that we had paid from 2pm - once the reception manager got involved a room was found and we were upstairs within 10mins.Unfortunately first impressions count, and they had failed to impress within those vital first few minutes.

The lobby was impressive, the bell staff were efficient. The room was modern if somewhat clinical, with a cutting edge bathroom. All amenities in the room and large bed. Views were great from our 32nd floor room. The hotel is only 15min walk from Petronas Twrs and has public taxis parked outside 24hrs. They are still building the adjoining shopping mall, which caused a little noise during the day but only heard from the public areas - it promises to be high end names and quite large with ample restaurants should you not want to eat in the hotel itself.
We did have dinner in the main dining room - the prices were reasonable and the food was excellent. We also had the breakfast buffet, which was without exception the best buffet I have had any where in the world (check out my other reviews). For example, there were 8 different juices available!!! Should you not want the usual western breakfast, there was also a full buffet serving Malay food and another for chinese.Truely too much to eat!!!
The lobby bar offered a happy hour early evening which seemed to be quite popular, with the bar itself being very pleasant. Popular drinks were half price making this bar during happy hour the cheapest place in KL that I bought a beer in!!
The only real moan would be the swimming pool - a great pool , but located sandwiched between two towers with no direct sun observed at any time throughout the day.If you want a suntan this pool is not for you.
Good business hotel, with excellent amenities and facilities and the associated good service, for a surpisingly good price. Once the shopping mall is finished it will be even better, but in the meantime the building work is of no significant consequence.

Room Tip: High rm at front of hotel for Petronas twr views
1 Thank MagicianManchesterUK
Doubletree-KL_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, May 8, 2011
Dear MagicianMachesterUK,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.
Delighted to hear you enjoyed the room and the restaurant & bar options, especially our great breakfast buffet. I appreciate the comments on the overall amenities, facilities and the associated good service, as well as the concerns about the pool area.
I am sorry about the challenge with the check-in, although I am happy to see the reception manager stepped in to resolve quickly.

I trust you also enjoyed our famous Doubletree cookie, and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Doubletree by Hilton soon!

Regards Ian Barrow, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Alto, New Mexico
Reviewed May 6, 2011

Maybe it's just my taste, but the new "modern" appearance of the hotel actually looked rather plain and simple, reminding me more of an Accor-type hotel. Certainly not the same standard as the Sentral Hilton, Intercon, or even the old Crowne Plaza. It just struck me as a single night hotel, certainly not a destination type hotel like some of the others in the area. Stayed at the club level, and found the evening snacks and breakfast kind of lacking. And rooms did not have bath tub, just shower. Yes, I'm sure most people (like myself) are OK with just a shower, but my wife is not. Anyway, that should be my decision to use or not, not the hotel's. Kind of a disappointment overall, and probably would not stay again.

On the positive side, the service was very good, especially on club level, and the Tosca Italian cafe was really good. Hotel was very clean and quiet (did not hear mosque in vicinity, which is nice at 6 am) so positive from that aspect. There are just better places for the money in KL to stay, that's all

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Dear MakinanDan

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.
I am sorry you did not like the interior design of the hotel, and the lack of bath in your room. However I do appreciate your feedback on the service and especially Tosca restaurant.

I trust you also enjoyed our famous Doubletree cookie, and we appreciate all your comments as we are very focused on improving our service for all guests.
I still hope we will be able to welcome you back to Doubletree by Hilton in the future.

Birmingham
Reviewed May 4, 2011

We booked 2ngts at Doubletree Hilton after searching for a long time and based on reviews on Tripadvisor.

Upon arrival, we were upgraded to an executive room as the hotel was fully booked. We were offered fresh baked choc chip cookies which was a nice touch. The room was on 26th floor with amazing views of Petronas Towers along the corridor. The room was very clean and spacious with a large bathroom. The bathroom has a glass window so you can see into the room but there is an electronic blind for privacy. The room even had a pillow menu so you can request something to suit your needs. The only complaint i have is the bed was a bit too hard for my liking.

The staff were very friendly and helpful throughout from check in, concierge to food&beverage. Whatever our requests, these were met with politeness and a smile.

Breakfast was in a restaurant on 11th floor. It offers a wide variety of foods from american, continental and asian style foods as well as fresh OJ and a variety of fresh fruits to choose from.

The location is quite far out but easy enough to get around. We walked over a bridge for 5mins to Ampang Park metro station and it costs 1Ringgit to get to KLCC which is only 1 stop to be fair. We visited the other main shopping area (Pavillions, Lot10, Times Square etc) and travelled there by taxi, this cost 10ringgit on way out but 7on meter when we returned. It is very cheap and easy to get around so i didnt mind it a little further out.

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.
Delighted to hear you enjoyed your break with us. We are continuing to work with the team to improve all areas of service, and we look forward to welcome you back to Doubletree by Hilton soon!

Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed May 1, 2011

I basically stayed in the Double Tree as I was attending a wedding. I checked in sometime in the evening and requested to change the room. I had to call more than 8 times to the service centre until I receive a confirmation to switch rooms. The key card was handed over to me after 1 hour and I moved to the other room. To my amazement, the room was in the midst of being cleaned and there was no cleaner there. The mattress was against the wall, towels and sheets all thrown all over the place, he vacum cleaner and cleaning products were all on the floor. As such, I called again and they made me wait for another 30 mins to get another room. I strongly discourage anyone to stay in this hotel as the service is the worst I have ever experienced in my whole life!! The Careline attendant which I was speaking to is named JESSIE.

4 Thank JoelKualaLumpur
Greetings from Doubletree by Hilton.
First please let me offer my apologies that your stay experience was less then satisfactory. We do appreciate all feedback as we are very focused on improving our service, and we wish to improve the experience for all guests.

I understand your disappointment with the hotel, especially for what should have been a special occasion, and I would like to be able to make it right. Please write to me directly ian.barrow@hilton.com so we can ensure that we improve all areas of service.

Once again, thank you for your invaluable feedback and look forward to your continuous support.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2011

Stayed at the Doubletree in April and it was a very good experience. The rooms are comfortable and well kept and I especially loved the breakfast in the morning! The best hotel breakfast I've had in KL in my many years of traveling to the city. Also, the choc chip cookie each guest is given during check in was yummy.
One comment is that Housekeeping could be a little quicker- we ordered extra pillows and they took at least half an hour to bring them to the room.

Also, just want to mention is that there isn't really anything walkable from the hotel i.e. KLCC is a 5 min taxi ride and is another 5min-10min taxi ride to Bukit Bintang, Pavillion Mall etc which was fine for me.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Doubletree-KL_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, May 2, 2011
Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.
Delighted to hear you enjoyed your break with us and especially the room, breakfast and of course our world famous cookie. We are continuing to work with the team to improve all areas of service, and I take note of the feedback on the housekeeping service could have been faster.
Best Wishes and I hope to be able to welcome you back to Doubletree by Hilton soon!

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed April 30, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights at this hotel on our return from Sydney. The hotel is in the heart of KL and close to the Petronas Towers and KL City Center. These are at walkable distances but it will be adviseable to take the Metro or a taxi to get there as KL's heat and humidity can be too much to handle.

We checked in around 4am after a long flight from Sydney and were alloted a room on the 20th floor. However, the keys didnt work and we had to get the bell-boy to get a duplicate set. These too didnt work and he had to go again to the Reception to get a new room on the 15th floor alloted. All this took about 30 minutes and we had to wait till they sorted out the issues. We were very annoyed about the inconvinience caused.

The room itself as big but the bathroom was clogged and the shower water would overflow into the room. My wife slipped on the wet marble floor and fell. Thankfully she wasnt hurt seriously.

During our stay there we found that some of the hotel staff were very impolite and the concierge gave us wrong information about places to visit. We ended up not seeing the best parts of KL and were directed to the usual Malls around town.

The only saving grace was the Breakfast which had a good spread.

I wouldnt stay there again and certaintly wont recommend this hotel to a fellow traveller.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank alpanth
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed April 27, 2011

Their pillow menu options are great. You wouldn't want to wake up as the bed is extremely comfortable. Room can be a little more spacious. The deluxe room comes without a tub which is disappointing. Other than that it has the power and massaging showers etc. Break fast and Dinner is amazing (Like Duh!) If ur a foodie be ready to gain a couple of pounds.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple