“Friendly, boutique hotel.”

Ranked #4 of 328 Kuala Lumpur B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Friendly, boutique hotel.”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We would be happy to stay at the Anggun Boutique hotel on any future visit to KL. The front of house staff were lovely and very helpful particularly 'PT', the female manager and Ricky. Our room although not large was very comfortable and very clean. Free Wifi was good most of the time and the TV reception was good but there are limited channels which is usual in most Malaysian hotels. One issue is the design of the shower in our bathroom meant that half the floor got wet so you needed to mop up with the bath mat after each shower. We had breakfast twice upstairs and it was 30Rg for juice, hot drink and choice of cooked breakfasts. Nicely cooked and nice quiet and relaxing rooftop atmosphere. Service was attentive and willing to please. It was well located to the Lot 10 and not too much further to the very modern The Pavilion shopping centre.

Room Tip: Our room was located next to the elevator on the first floor and very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 20, 2014

In KL again earlier this week for business. Have always stayed at the Shangri La which although good is really just another 5 star hotel and not in a very interesting area. Was travelling with my partner and wanted somewhere smaller, less anonymous and where you could walk out the door and into KL life. Can recommend the Anggun. Don't expect too much but our room was spacious, clean, attractive and with some character. There's no pool and no gym. And the rooftop breakfast area you can give a miss - just walk out to any number of local restaurants for breakfast, albeit mostly an Indian one. The downstairs reception area is attractive and pleasant enough to sit in if you some reading or work to do. The wifi is hopeless but eventually you can get emails to go through. Most importantly, it's located in the middle of a really lively and busy area including lots of restaurants and street rood. All in all, definitely recommend this place.

Room Tip: We had a front room looking onto the street. Perhaps a little noisier but I think the other room loo...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 18, 2014

This Hotel is exactly as described on it's website if not better. It is located in the heart of a busy small hotel area with many out door cafes and open air market like restaurants. They have clearly put a lot of effort into making it a very attractive place to stay. My room was small and very well thought out with a kettle, fridge, wifi. The style is a modern take on traditional Malaysian dark wood design. The room was spotlessly clean with crisp white sheets. The staff were very welcoming, I asked for a quiet room on a higher floor as the street is noisy but if you like being in the middle of it all even the street sounds would add to the experience. Great AC, a celling fan and LG TV with internet access. Plenty of sockets with a international one also. My only one comment would be that I would have liked fluffier towels - but that as they say is a first world problem!!! I felt that it was excellent vale for the price.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 14, 2014

This was an overall great stay. Location was excellent close to nightlife and street food, the room was smallish but comfortable and clean, breakfast was great with a smile, but the best part was the warmth, hospitality and help provided by the reception. Cung Cung and the young female manager at the desk went consistently out of their way to research and answer all of my questions, from the nearest branch of my bank to finding leech socks! They really made my stay there very pleasant and memorable.
My only recommendation to travelers is not to use the hotel's transfer from the airport. When I arrived after a series of long international flights, I had to wait for almost two hours for the hotel driver. I also called the two "emergency hotline numbers" provided by the hotel while I waited; one was not a working number and the other played Justin Beber music, which was not funny at the time. So, after all that I ended up hiring a taxi at the airport, which was easy and cheaper.

1 Thank Moonbathing
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed March 11, 2014

22 year old female traveling alone. When i chose hotel, I could easily go for a more lux hotel chain and pay about the same amount. But I am so happy i didn´t. I felt welcomed the minute I stepped into the reception. The staff, especially front desk - could not be more helpful with everything a young solo traveler wants to know. Everything felt clean and the decor, asian style. I found the room comfortable with enough space. When it comes to sleep quality, you have to realize - If you want to have a good location, you have to deal with some traffic and public noise. This is KL.

It was always nice to start the day at the rooftop with a good breakfast. Try the congee. A bit unusual for my western pallet, but SO tasty. At first when I arrived, I got the impression that it was a poor location. But eventually I realized it was spot on. I felt very safe walking the streets at night.

The city center is about 10 minuted by foot. The jalan alor food street is right by, where u can find all sorts of asian food. If you seek more fine dining and western food, just go the opposite way and you will have plenty of choiced about 5 minutes away. So food, no prob. I just have no complaints. I was not looking for lux, spa, modern and western atmosphere. I wanted friendly people, asian inspired interior, laid back place and good location. I def. got it. If I had to paint out anything, the only thing that I found uncomfortable was cockroaches. I found two in my room. Very small and did not really bother me. Because it had nothing to do with cleanness.

If I go to KL again, I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: I would guess that the rooms facing inside are more quite. Mine was facing out, but still I was not...
2 Thank AneJansen
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

The location is excellent lots of restaurants and shopping close by. Within walThe staff pleasant and very helpful. Good selection for breakfast. Rooms are clean but basic with toiletries supplied. Rooms at back are quieter. Would highly recommend .

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Tim092
Gilston, Australia
Reviewed March 3, 2014

What a great place to get the feel of the comings and goings as we sat on our balcony with a couple of drinks and watched the world go by in this busy street . There was even a movie being shot in the guest house opposite one of the days , lights , camera , action , the whole bit . If you need supplies [ beer , spirits , chips , peanuts ] you have to go into the store next door for the cheapest of everything , it looks a bit ordinary but , happy smiling owner , a good experience , not the seven / elevens , half as much again for our drinks . Good position for the night food market , just two minute walk , as well as restaurants and bars . Some reviews say that noise is an issue , we did not have any , we were on the first floor facing the street with a balcony , as I said a great spot for people watching . At night we had the balcony doors closed with the air on so no issue at all . All the staff were great and friendly , breakfast on the roof offered some interesting plates , all good though . We stopped at The Royal Chulan on the way back home , which is great , but , have to say the Anggun has more character and a more local feel to it , definitely would recommend to anybody .

Room Tip: Ask for ones with a balcony facing the street .
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple