“Location, Location, Location”

Ranked #4 of 322 Kuala Lumpur B&B and Inns
Willunga - South Australia
“Location, Location, Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

Our stay was in May 2011 as a couple and we had ground floor room near reception. It was very quiet and had 4 poster bed - no window for view but not necessary. For breakfast we would have one Indian and one Malaysian and do a mix and match - absolutely fabulous and staff were very helpful and welcoming and a nice view from the breakfast outdoor balcony. A short walk to Jalan Alor for hawker food at night - so much to choose from and so cheap, a little further for the monorail, hop on hop off bus is a fabulous way to take in KL and get your bearings - ticket is for 24 hrs. It is easy to get to train station and go to Batu Caves. Recommend full tour of Petronas Towers (paid) but you go to the very top and is very enjoyable

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank willunga

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ottawa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

We had high expectations for this hotel given some of the nice reviews we'd read on TripAdvisor. We arrived very late at night, and had the most bizarre experience: we couldn't find the light switches to turn off the main lights to the room. We ended up having to ring the front desk, and when the staffer came upstairs, he couldn't locate them either. We ended up offering to unscrew the lightbulbs - which he agreed to! This ended up blowing a fuse, and we had no power in the room. Trying to get a maintenance person at 4am took quite some time, but the problem was fixed within an hour.
The room, strangely enough, had two showers, and oddly placed furniture (the four-poster bed hid the aforementioned light switches, and also blocked the view of the TV). The bed was comfortable, and the room was relatively quiet (heard a little honking from the street and a bit of noise from the rooftop, but these were definitely manageable).
We had a traditional Malay dinner on the rooftop one evening, and it was absolutely lovely, with great food.
We found the staff to be quite unhelpful and aloof, and not quite sure of how to go about delivering service requisite for a boutique hotel.
Overall, if you want a boutique hotel, this more-or-less meets some of the qualities you may be looking for, but has a long way to go in terms of service in order to meet our expectations.

Room Tip: Room 206 has strange furniture placement but is reportedly quieter than many of the others.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Queensland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

Anggun is a very comfortable boutique hotel in a great location. I was in the wheelchair accessible room on the ground floor. Although the view from the window was a caraprk, this didn't detract from the room. It was very spacious, with a four poster bed, wardrobe and a huge bathroom. There was also a large TV with internet access, as well as free wi-fi. Breakfast was in the rooftop restaurant and included fresh fruit and a choice of continental or more Asian offerings. In fact, the rooftop was the highlight for me. It was a great place to hang out and relax. The food in the restaurant is a bit hit and miss. I had a fantastic beef rendang one night, but another night I ordered the Hawaiian chicken - advertised as having pineapple. What I got was a piece of deep fried chicken with steamed rice and a sauce that tasted like mayonaise and tomato sauce mixed together.
However, there are a huge variety of restaurants both in the street and in the general area, so no need to worry. The street food of Jalan Alor is also just around the corner, as a re a number of convenience stores. Bukit Bintang is a short walk away. Not sure about other attractions, as I took a taxi most places, finding the public transport mix of train and monorail just too confusing - and the taxis are so cheap! Chinatown isn't too far away - I did walk from the Textile Museum, via Chinatown, back to the hotel on one day.
The staff were friendly and helpful. Overall a good stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Tina C
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

I stayed 3 nights, with the first night being after a long flight from Europe. The staff were friendly and helpful throughout my stay, and the ginger tea and cool cloth were a nice welcoming touch when I first arrived from the airport. The hotel itself has a lovely decor, comfortable rooms and is in an excellent location. I would certainly recommend it and will stay again when I am next in Kuala Lumpur.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Smagyar
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

Anggun is great: welcoming staff, great location, excellent room (really clean, comfy bed, nice bathroom). Computer linked to LCD TV, good wifi, nice roof top restaurant. Costs more than we usually pay, but good fun and worth the expense. We stayed for 2 nights and had no issues with noise as some other reviewers have said.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EuanMelbourne
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband and I went with a friend, we stayed 5 nights in deluxe room and our friend in a standard room. Absolutely gorgeous and authentic style rooms and hotel with friendly local service. Many people in other posts complain about noise - ummmm Malaysia never sleeps so if you intend to go to bed at 8:30pm then maybe it's a little noisy but we never noticed ANY noise. From the minute I booked the friendly staff confirmed booking and answered any questions and they continued to provide wonderful, friendly and yet discreet service throughout our stay. The location is by far it's best feature as it's in the heart of everything, and the VALUE for money - our room was beautiful and if you're looking for a more authentic place to stay this is it. I hate large hotel chains! Whether you're a couple, single guy, family - this boutique hotel comes highly recommended in my book. FANTASTIC - will only ever stay here when I return to Malaysia.

Room Tip: rooms toward the back are quieter - front rooms have view of street - which is great for people watc...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Aly3Melbourne
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

I had a really unpleasant stay at Anggun hotel, booked 3 nights in a classic room, which appeared to be very small. Asked for a quiet and bright room and it was rather noisy and dark (window facing courtyard).
If it wasn't enough the first day after breakfast I asked for a green tea I wanted to take to my room. Provided only with a couple of black tea teabags I've been told that I should pay extra for the green tea! I was shocked, I never came across such unprofessional service in 4 stars hotel and it wasn't only a waitress, but also a manager who said I should pay extra. He also mentioned that I could only have the tea at no charge, because I insisted... Well, I didn't insist, I can afford green tea any time I want, I just couldn't understand why it was such a big issue. Oh and he had to look into his computer to check how many tea bags I had in my room! Shocking service, I left speechless without arguing. I do travel a lot, stayed in many different places in Europe, America, Australia, Asia and have noticed that hostels usually have better tea selection than this lousy hotel. Breakfast was below average by the way.
Don't like supporting such businesses, I would advise anyone to avoid Anggun. There's many hotels in Bukit Bintang offering BETTER value for money and service.

Room Tip: Avoid by any means!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo