“Brilliant location but insects everywhere”

Citin Hotel Masjid Jamek
Ranked #171 of 353 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Chose to stay here due to the location; right by Masjid Jamek stop which is pretty central. Room was small but bed was comfy - good night's sleep. Shower was good, although again bath room was tiny! Safe in room didn't work so had to padlock my bag with important documents to a table which wasn't ideal. There were also tiny insects running around everywhere and I got bitten a few times and had to use my insect repellent spray in the room; not what you expect in a hotel, even a budget one!

• Stayed: July 2013
Yesodharan, Manager at Citin Hotel Masjid Jamek, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Warm Greetings from Citin Hotel Masjid Jamek!

Thank you for choosing Citin Hotel Masjid Jamek as your preferred hotel during your visit to Kuala Lumpur. We are delighted to have you stay with us.

Glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. On the other hand, I have learnt of the problems you encountered with the safe box and tiny insects which you have most rightly highlighted to us. Kindly note that this shortcoming you have encountered is an aberration for our standards and not indicative of the service we strive to achieve. Please allow me to express my most sincere apology for the inconvenience caused.

Once again, Citin Hotel genuinely thank you for your involvement in supporting us to grow from strength to strength. We humbly request you to stay with us as our esteemed guest on your next trip to Kuala Lumpur.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Chose this hotel for it's ideal location, which it was. Very close to rail system. A bit chaotic outside as it is surrounded by market stalls, and a very busy hotel with not enough staff. There was two lifts to rooms which took ages to get into, stairs were quicker even to the 6th floor. I had a major problem that I had locked my passport etc into the room safe and could not open it the next day. I was treated like a dumb blonde female! and it took many tears and tantrums to finally get the staff to fix my dilemma from 8.30am until 9.45PM!! I was frantic as I had to leave the hotel for a flight at 4am the next morning, and this was a Sunday night!!
The hotel was old, a bit tired but the bed was comfy and the shower good, but not enough staff on the front desk to attend to customers needs, even as far as pre booking a taxi for me.
I work in the travel industry and most likely would not recommend this hotel to my clients.

Room Tip: Don't go with high expectations as you will be dissappointed but a handy Budget hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Yesodharan, Manager at Citin Hotel Masjid Jamek, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Warm Greetings!

I have learnt of the problems you encountered with the safe box which you have most rightly highlighted to us. Kindly note that this shortcoming you have encountered is an aberration for our standards and not indicative of the service we strive to achieve. Please allow me to express my most sincere apology for the inconvenience caused.

Once again, Citin Hotel genuinely thank you for your involvement in supporting us to grow from strength to strength. We humbly request you to stay with us as our esteemed guest on your next trip to Kuala Lumpur and kindly give us another opportunity to serve you better.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Selected this hotel because it was near the start point for Standard Chartered 2013, received 2 calls to confirm my reservation and time of arrival before my stated day of stay. Upon arrival, was told the hotel overbooked me and arrangement had been made to transfer me to another hotel (Swiss Hotel) which was not even ready to provide service.

Wrote in to Citin management to feedback about this bad experience, received their call and was promise a discounted rate to stay in their hotel anytime I choose to come back to Kular Lumpur. I asked the hotel manager (Mr.Yesodharan Santhesegaran) to write back to me in email to facilitate reservation in the future which he promised to do. That was last Friday 5th July. Today is 12th July, there have been no response from the hotel management even though I wrote in on 7th July to seek a followup on this matter.

Failure to live up to expectation once is bad enough, failure to live up to expectation twice in a row is a perfect reason why guest should avoid this chain of hotel period.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank talonise
Yesodharan, Manager at Citin Hotel Masjid Jamek, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Warm Greetings from Citin Hotel Masjid Jamek!

First and foremest, I would like to thank you for choosing Citin Hotel for your accomadation needs. However, I want to sincerely apologize for the unpleasant incidents you had experienced with us.

It is our highest priority to provide our guest with an exceptional staying experience and in this instance we certainly failed to do this. What you experienced is totally unacceptable and we have already taken appropriate steps to ensure that this does not happen again.

While I cannot change the past, I would like to invite you back as my personal guest so that we can ensure your next visit will be a pleasant and memorable experience.

Once again, please accept our sincere apology for this unfortunate incidents and we humbly request you to stay with us as our esteemed guest on your next trip to Kuala Lumpur.

Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

We arrived late at the hotel. We were so tired and wanted to crash right away. However, when we got in in our room, it was so dirty. I told the desk clerk about our room and he told us that he made a mistake by giving us the wrong room. When I finally got in our room and wanted to wash up, we had no towel. I am just glad I brought my own towel. The room has 2 single beds and it was so small. The location however is convenient for public transportation for it is close to the train. I would
recommend this hotel if you just want to crash in
the evening and have no
plan of staying in the hotel. Breakfast is good.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Warm Greetings from Citin Hotel Masjid Jamek!

Glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and happy with the services rendered to you by our team members. Also thank you very much for recognizing the subtle attractiveness of the hotel which is in its location such as accessibility to transportations and shopping.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Citin Hotel Masjid Jamek is a relatively modern hotel located in a very old and gritty quarter of Kuala Lumpur. It overlooks a large street flea market on one side and the Masjid Jamek mosque on the other. The hotel is visible for a distance but it is difficult to find the entrance by foot. This is because of the maze-like market underneath. Although the neighborhood is somewhat sketchy it is centrally located and there is a metro station in easy walking distance.

Our room was very small with two single beds. It had an amazing view of the mosque below and the KL Tower and Petronas Towers in the near distance. There is always a security/doorman at the entrance. The staff was polite and pleasant. There is also a small tour desk in the lobby to assist in booking excursions.

Next time I visit KL I will probably spend a little more for a hotel in a nicer neighborhood but the Citin certainly provides a great value for the price. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to save a few dollars.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 5th floor and above on the back side of the hotel have amazing views of the Petronas To...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights on our visit to KL. The room we had was ok. Had everything you'd expect from a budget price room. In the 3 nights we were there the room was never cleaned.

The breakfast is average at best. More catered to Asian guests.

The hotel is located right next to a bazaar and the entrance isn't obvious. The hotel is close to the LRT line so good access to the rest of the city.

I'd look at other hotels if I were you. Pay a little extra as KL is a very taxing city!

• Stayed: June 2013
Yesodharan, Manager at Citin Hotel Masjid Jamek, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Warm Greetings!

I have learnt of the problems you encountered on the third day with housekeeping services that was not satisfactory which you have most rightly highlighted to us. Kindly note that this shortcoming you have encountered is an aberration for our standards and not indicative of the service we strive to achieve. Please allow me to express my most sincere apology for the inconvenience caused.

Please be informed that we have renovated the hotel entrance recently and this has improved the visibility of the Hotel from the shopping area.

Thank you very much for recognizing the subtle attractiveness of the hotel which is in its location (accessibility to transportations and shopping)

Reviewed May 31, 2013

We recently stayed in this hotel for four nights- after reading the trouble people had finding it we were slightly concerned when we arrived in kuala Lumpur tired and hungry. However it is very straight forward- get the LRT to the Masjik Jamek stop, leave the station on the side with the market and then look straight up and you see the hotel with access through the market.

We had our deal on our room for breakfast Included for £20 a night - the breakfast was great, lots on offer but it would have been nice to have some fruit. Another fantastic thing is the water coolers where you can get unlimited water on each floor saving money on water. The only negative thing is the wifi wasn't always reliable but that maybe the room we were in. The staff were friendly, the bathroom was good with a great power shower.

I would stay here again for the price I paid.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hope V

Warm Greetings!

Thank you for choosing Citin Hotel Masjid Jamek as your preferred choice of stay during your visits to Kuala Lumpur. We are delighted to have you stay with us.

Glad to know that you were happy with the hotel facilities, food, surrounding area and the services provided by our hotel staffs. We really "Thank You" for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. It is so gratifying to read that we have met your expectations and we have won you as our new guest.

Citin Hotel genuinely thank you for your involvement in supporting us to grow from strength to strength. We are looking forward to welcoming you in the near future.