“Excellent Value”
Review of TravelHub KL

TravelHub KL
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Travel Hub is an excellent backpacker's in Chinatown, near the Pasar Seni MRT station. The place is slightly hard to find with signage being very non-descript and the front door gives no indication of the place, which isn't a typically good indication as to the quality of the place.

I was pleasantly surprised though as the staff were very friendly and very helpful. The cost of a single bed room was just under $25 Australian per night. While the room looks uncomfortable, the bed and pillow were surprisingly soft and the room was fairly quiet when considering that the floors are wooden and the floor I was staying on was fairly full. The street noise was fairly continuous throughout the night, but not a major problem.

Perhaps the only problem is that the bathrooms need some more maintenance. One had a broken door handle, while the other bathroom had a broken shower system and the lock was falling off. While the shower system was repaired earlier in the week, it was busted again by the end of my stay and the lock was coming away from the door. This left only one functionig shower for 16 rooms.

That aside, this is still an excellent stay and should I return to Kuala Lumpur, I will definitely stay here again. The location, staff and comfort of the room were well and truly worth it.

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed July 1, 2013

The hostel is decently priced for what it is but I had a few things I did not like about it. They do not let you wear shoes inside the hostel, and will come knock on your door to tell you off if they see you doing it. I hated that I could not wear flip flops into the communal bathrooms. If they have to put up a sign in the toilet telling you not to pee on the floor, surely it would be reasonable to let you wear shoes? At least provide you with flip flops for the bathroom only. I really hated having to go barefoot into a communal bathroom, especially when floor was wet.

It was located very close to Chinatown. This may be a good thing for some people, but China town in KL was definitely not the nicest part of the city. Staying in Little India may have been nicer here. (New little India/brick fields)

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michelle G
Reviewed May 22, 2013

The furniture looked new.

My room wasn't ready when I arrived (7PM) and I had to wait about one hour for it. You have to leave your shoes at main entrance. The Wi-Fi signal was very poor in the room. I asked the guy at reception how much would be a taxi to KL Sentral at 4AM in the morning, he told me 30RM. I managed to get one on the street for 15RM.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank george2210_P
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed here for several nights while in KL and not only it is an excellent value, but the staff is very friendly and helpful. The location is great since it is right down in Chinatown and it is within 5 minutes walk of an MRT station. I would highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank fishinmalaysia
Reviewed April 27, 2013

So I made the, apparently unreasonable, assumption that the "superior" private single would have AC. Their "superior" privates are, in fact, the worst from what I was later told.

Anyway, when I arrived and was told that I didn't have AC I was scared and when I got to the room I was terrified. Although the room itself was nice-- the bed linens and everything were spotless, the wall were a pleasant cover, some attention has been obviously given to the lighting-- the room was RIDICULOUSLY hot; so hot in fact that when I stuck my arm out of the window on a 92 degree day, it made me wish I were out there instead. There was this perceptible wall of heat. Yes, there was a ceiling fan, but it did nothing, even with the window open! The room was a very small box with an extremely high ceiling and there was simply no way to get any air into it.

I immediately asked to upgrade, they couldn't; I tried to cancel the rest of my booking; they wouldn't. I resorted to just leaving my door open, though it didn't help much, I was still sweating buckets. On the second day, a kind cleaning lady took pity upon me and turned on the AC in the upstairs common area; that made all the difference. I still had to leave my door open, but I was comfortable. As for the rest the rest of the experience, the "breakfast" is not very good. Its pretty much just toast served with the worst tasting coffee ever. The internet is extremely slow and hard to get in the rooms.

But even with that being said, this place did have a certain charm to it that I can't quite explain. In general, I felt very at home. Also, and I know that The hostel has little to no control over this, the other guests at the place during my stay were about the friendliest random group of strangers I've ever experienced staying at one place at one time.

I had a theory, that my perception of the friendliness/openness of the other travelers must have been formed, by some to degree, by the fact that I couldn't close my door, and thus close myself off from them. So I tried the experiment of leaving my door open for a few nights at the next place I stayed, which there, only resulted in a number of dubious expressions by passers by and my favorite shirt being stolen.

So, all in all, I rate my experience as average, it is not a terrible place to stay, the rooms are actually rather nice, provided you make sure you have AC; the staff is helpful enough, I mean, one of them did save my life after all; the breakfast, like I said is not worth getting up, but perhaps your stay will, like mine, correspond with the odd celestial alignment that draws all the friendly people to the same spot in KL for a few days.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights. Breakfast consists of toast. Place is clean. right in the middle of chinatown. 5 min walk from two train stations and free bus shuttle that will take you to petronas towers. good sercruity on front door and lockers in dorms.

• Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank sam12370
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I emailed the hostel 2days before to tell them I would arriving quiet early and if checkin was available, they said it was absolutely fine to checkin in the 24hour reception, I arrived and the rudest black guy say no you can't check in no you can't stay here until check in time, so myself a young blonde girl had to walk the streets at 5am to find another dorm to crash in, he wouldn't even let me sit on the sofa! The bathrooms very limited and the floors always wet n puddled, your feet are literally always dirty!
The common room is right outside the dorms so its so loud people don't go to bed til well after midnight!
The beds were so creaky, you could here everyone get into bed and if the person on ur bunk was a fidget you'd get no sleep and the beds are so uncomfy! Area is ok! It's cheap and you get clean sheets!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo