“Homey feelings”

TravelHub KL
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
“Homey feelings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

I really had an excellent time at this place. The staff is friendly and easygoing and it is a good place to meet people from around the world.
+excellent location, close to public transport, at the border of chinatown along a relatively quiet road, everything at walking distance
+clean, even if the showers and bathrooms are shared, no shoes allowed inside
+lot of facilities (washing machine, free and fast wifi, board games, books, tv & dvds and a small kitchen)
+dorm is quiet even if there are many beds (NOT a party place with people of all ages! :-) )
+homey appearance with a lot of nice couches to chill out and talk to other travelers
+Value for your money
-Maybe the AC in the rooms is a bit too cold, but they provide as many blankets as you need
-Not particularly environmental friendly
Definitely one of the better places to stay in KL.

Room Tip: Even the dorms are not that noisy but I think all the rooms are just fine.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Dorset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

I booked this place and after a few days saw the reviews and I was really worried about staying here. It is a little difficult to find only because the entrance is small between two shops but the hostel is big inside.

We stayed in a double room and the first thing I did was check the mattress and I read about bed bugs....well it was brand spanking new! So comfortable with decent pillows.

As for the complaints about shower/toilets there's two on each floor but 4 on the first floor so I don't know what all the moaning is about now.

The communal area is lovely, lots of big comfy sofas and a huge tv with dvds.

Good kitchen, we didn't have the breakfast as it was 7-10am so we didn't make it.

The security is top, you can't even get in the building without a key.

The location is on the edge of China Town, but you are still in it. The nearest stop is Panis Senir (?) Get off here not the monorail stop that's further away.

There are not guys randomly sitting around either. It's a friendly place and run well. I would defiantly stay there again. It's cheap as well, excellent value for your money.

• Stayed October 2012
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

I really liked the Travel Hub. The Sri Lankan family that own the Travel Hub are very nice. It's funny and cute when they are all arguing at the same time.

The walls ARE paper thin, so it can get loud at night if travellers are talking loudly in the common area. Fortunately, when I stayed there the other travellers were considerate enough, so I could sleep.

The Travel Hub has unlimited coffee and toast a-l-l day. Whew hooo. And they had wifi and a house computer anyone could use, too.

The common area is pretty big and has strong air conditioning. Ahhhhh. When you walk in from the sweltering heat of KL you are awash with cool air!

Just remeber to bring some ear plugs if you stay at the Travel Hub. The walls are paper thin.

Room Tip: Try to get a room a little farther from the common area. It might be quieter there at night.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Northampton, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

Firstly it took an hour to check in, We turned up in the early hours (Had stated are ETA when booking) to be greeted by an incompetent member of staff who seemed to know nothing, he tryed to make us stay in a room with no Air-con and made us argue to change rooms.

We were then moved to an even smaller room where the aircon also did not work!. The rooms really are tiny (the pictures here are not even the same hostel). On one floor their is one bathroom for men and one for women with space for at least 24 guests (probably more). There was cues for the shower even when we got up at 7am to avoid them.

I put some laundry in only to find out my shorts which cost me 35 pounds had been ruined and were covered in red stains. The staff asked me how much they were worth so I could be reimbursed, I did not want to demand all the money from the laundry lady but explained I would need 15 pounds (75rm) to replace the shorts as I'm away for a long time and need them.

She said this was a lot and would I except 60RM, which I was glad too as I only wanted a pair of shorts not the specific ones I had lost. This was in my eyes a great gesture until I came to pay the bill and was told that 30RM was agreed and was treated as a liar by another member of staff. Which was rich as the shorts had cost me 175RM and I was trying to be kind.

This hostels only saving graces are its location and that the owner himself is extremely helpful but other than that I did not enjoy my stay, all the other staff are incompetent , or rude and more interested in their laptop than helping guests.

I have been traveling for 3 months and this is one of only two places that I will not be visiting again

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

The place is definitely not like the pictures! It it run down but in the process of renovation. The room consisted of a bed and a sheet, end of. Breakfast was toast and jam or butter and tea or coffee without milk. We were given a blanket when requested but it had fleas on so we slept bare without aircon. Would definitely not recommend this place!

• Stayed September 2012
Narnia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

I don't often feel inclined to write reviews about the places I stay but this place left an impression. An interesting impression. The staff are nice enough (though the service is a little underdone). The rooms, albeit small, are clean and well priced (30rm for a single room w/ fan; 40rm for a single room w/ AC). And you couldn't complain about the location if you're looking for a Chinatown locale. Tick. Tick. Tick. But it's got a seriously weird vibe. It seems to be used as a short-term rental by foreign men who hang out in the common area all day. If you're looking for a 'travel hub' for travellers, this ain't your place. But, then, if you're looking for a cheap single room, maybe it is. nb: The stairwell is the smoking area.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have windows. If you're not keen on sleeping in a cell, ask for a room with a wind...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank gnotes
Chorley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

My brother found this place online when we were looking for a place to stop on our travels. Can't fault it really. Nice and clean bedrooms/bedding, fairly priced, good location as the market is around the corner and the mono rail is two minutes walk away.

Staff were friendly and knowledgable, they gave us a map and recommended where to visit and eat. Has good facilities including free wi-fi and computer access and digital television in the living room.

My only issues were that there was only one computer available which is annoying as it's quite a busy hostel and people tend to hog it for quite a while. And there is only one real shower room. The toilet had a shower in too but i'm not of fan of that. Plus i found the shower lost all water pressure when some flushed the toilet next door.

It is a good place to stay but I'm being a bit picky to be honest.

Room Tip: I'm fairly certain most rooms are pretty standard and similar.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends