“A solid, well-priced luxury establishment”

Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #21 of 347 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed July 8, 2014

The Royale Chulan KL was a pleasant surprise. I usually don't stay at 5 star establishments because I don't think they are generally worth the high cost, but the reasonable online price I found convinced me to try it out in KL.

Location isn't exactly the best. The monorail/metro (Raja Chulan monorail station) is not really close, about 15 mins away to the northwest and its always an adventure trying to cross the street. Mid to high-end shopping and restaurants are present at Pavillion KL, about 10 mins walk to the west. On the plus side, a few minutes away is the traditional Malay House (Badan Warisan and Rumah Penghulu) across the street to the north (its worth a visit, but the mosquitoes are ruthless - apply lots of repellent prior).

When I arrived, check-in was friendly and efficient, and the concierge took my bag up to the room in a timely manner. The king bed was very comfortable, but it made a little noise whenever I moved around even a little bit on it. The room was quite well-furnished, and spacious, but it seemed a little dark, even with all of the lights on. There were several English language channels on the big TV. The bathroom is huge and the toilet area is in its own section. I enjoyed the hotel brand's shampoo and other products. The in-room free Wifi was an acceptable speed. I didn't really have any issues with noise from other parts of the hotel. Overall it was a comfortable experience.

Hotel service was pretty good in all areas - I had no problems getting an iron and board one night. Once I tried the in-hotel Warisian Cafe for breakfast, which had good Western food (had an entree, not the buffet) and good service as well. Also tried the Telaga Bunga spa's 90 minute traditional Malay oil massage for RM270, which was definitely relaxing and enjoyable. Dinner at the hotel's Malay restaurant Bunga Emas was quite tasty and slightly less expensive than I expected, although there was just one other person besides me that weeknight. I briefly examined the fitness center, but it was just OK at best, mostly just machines and a few other lighter weights.

Checking out was as friendly as when I checked-in, and they stored my bags for a while afterwards, when I went to eat breakfast. When I returned, they arranged for a convenient cab to KL Sentral. In the end I'm glad that I stayed here, especially for the price I paid, and it undeniably enhanced my hitherto so-so perception of KL.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
PRManager88, General Manager at Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Dear GMK1954,

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur!
Thank you for your kind words and vote of confidence in our service. Glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and experienced most of the facilities at the hotel.
We are constantly improving our services hence all honest feedback are taken seriously. We do hope that you will find time to visit Kuala Lumpur again and perhaps stay with us in order for us to serve you again.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

This was a lovely hotel, the staff were very friendly, greeting you with a smile and a "welcome back" every time you returned. The room was very comfortable and clean. Breakfast was included and there was a whole range of western and Asian cuisines to choose from. The hotel is in easy walking distance of the Pavilion shopping mall and the Raja Chulan mono-rail stop and within 15 minutes walk of the Petronas Towers via an air conditioned walkway. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
PRManager88, General Manager at Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

Dear Heather B,

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you for your positive feedback and for making us your preferred hotel in Kuala Lumpur during your stay. We are indeed very pleased to hear that you had taken advantage of the hotel ideal location to move around to the city attractions and enjoyed our buffet breakfast. We hope that you will find time to visit us again soon.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

For a luxury hotel it was priced very reasonably, and it was in every aspect very good. Hotel premises was luxurious, bed and room were comfortable. Breakfast had a good spread. Only drawback is a design flaw in standing shower door, where soap water spills out into the bathroom floor..I hope the hotel will fix this design floor before any guest slips on a wet bathroom floor.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear junesing,

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. We constantly look forward to our guests’ feedback and comments in order to continuously improve our service standards. We certainly will look into your comments on the bathroom. At the same time, may I say that my team and I are very grateful to hear of your good experience in our hotel. We hope that you will find time to visit us again soon.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for a couple of nights during a business trip. The receptionist attitude was not good. But the hotel room was okay and the hotel is near to shopping malls like Pavilion. Their breakfast was good too as there was a few choices to choose from.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Javier L

Dear javierlow,

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to write a review on The Royale Chulan. We welcome all feedback and comments as they are tools to further assist us to improve ourselves hence you can be rest assured, your review/comments are taken very seriously.
I apologise for the less-than-satisfied experience you had with us. Your concerns raised have been discussed with the relevant department heads and steps for improvement in the areas mentioned by you are in place and have been implemented.
Again thank you for your feedback and we would certainly like to welcome you back one day for another chance and to make amends. Please let us know if we can assist you.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

I'm not usually someone who stays at 5 star hotels, so perhaps others here have higher expectations. But I had two nights in KL and the price of the Royale Chulan was comparable with other much lower rated hotels so I took it. And loved it.
The hotel is a good location in the new part of the city, easy walk to Bukit Bintang and Petronas Towers, and close to a monorail station to go the old city. It is also next door to the Kraft Komplex, which is a stop on the KL hop on hop off bus.
My room was upgraded and it was spacious, with an enormous bed and bathroom. The bed was extremely comfortable. Saturday night there was a wedding downstairs and the music could be heard in my room which overlooked the area, so those who like it quiet should probably ask for a room on the outside.
I found the staff friendly and accommodating every time I dealt with any of them. They were happy to provide a later checkout to accommodate my visit to Petronas Towers, and then at their suggestion, use later that night of the pool showers facilities before heading to the airport.
The breakfast buffet is something to behold - everything from danishes, muffins, waffles, pancakes and omelettes to curries, roti, rice, noodles, sushi ... the variety is amazing and the food was good.
A metered taxi from the airport was cheaper than one arranged by the hotel, or you could take the KLIA train to KL Sentral and then get a taxi or the monorail from there.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Mel904
PRManager88, General Manager at Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Dear Mel904

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you for staying at the Royale Chulan and on behalf of our team, may I say how grateful we are to hear of your positive experience in our hotel.
Glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and explored the city attractions nearby . We hope you will stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Stayed at the Royale Chulan for 4 nights with my wife. From the moment our taxi arrived and we were met by smiling and helpful staff the service at this hotel would have to be amongst the best we have ever experienced. Reception, concierge, housekeeping, restaurant - we met uniformly friendly and obliging staff who seemed genuinely interested in our experience at the Royale Chulan being a very positive one. We let the hotel know that we were celebrating a special occasion and were delighted with the special evening turndown service that we received.
The Royale Chulan is located close to Bukit Bintang and the Pavilion Mall ( with excellent rear access) but we found the quiet street frontage, water feature and gardens most appealing.Our room was spacious and what you would expect of a quality 5 star hotel. The food at breakfast and
dinner was very good and again was what you would expect of a quality 5 star hotel. But what will make us return was the 6 star service we received from a very professional and welcoming staff.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear BoonyPerth,

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur!

I can’t begin to tell you how happy it made me to read about your experience at our hotel. The team here strives to make each guest experience as close to perfect as humanly possible. When we accomplish that goal we’ve done our job. I am so honored that you choose The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur while you were in KL. And we’re extremely grateful that you took the time out of your busy schedule to share this wonderful feedback. I really appreciate it and know the team will as well when I share it with them. We look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you are in town.

Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

My husband arranged a weekend away for me and a friend. He booked a Mercedes $100AUD via the hotel to transfer us to the hotel. We were picked up in a Toyota SUV. The water in the SUV was warm.
When we spoke to the concierge they refused to offer us any compensation or provide a car for the return journey.

On the whole the hotel is OK. Room is spacious and it is central. Attitude of some of the staff is very poor.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank Bestdress
PRManager88, General Manager at Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

Dear Bestdress,

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. We always look forward to our guests feedback on a daily basis, positive and negative, and rest assured we are constantly taking measures to ensure improvements with regards to the quality of our service.
I apologise for your unfortunate experience that you had with the airport transfer. We have discussed our shortcomings with the relevant departments responsible and have taken appropriate measures to avoid recurrence.

Please come and visit us again and allow us an opportunity to prove our dedication to our guests.