“Will stay again” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 340 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Will stay again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel in april 2014. Hotel was very nice - good decor, stylish with good architecture and design motive. The hotel is also 5 minutes walking from upscale shopping malls such as Pavilion, farenheit and so on. Further 5 minutes walk would take you to the heart of Bukit Bintang.

Food served is relatively tasty. Even room service was pretty fast.

My only issue here is the housekeeping. Rooms dont get cleaned until afternoon and even then I believe it was not done properly. Only the very basic like soap, mattress etc get done with. It gets irritating when you go out in the morning, come back in the afternoon and te room is still messy. I hope the management would addressthis.

Staff are generally friendly and helpful.

The Chinese restaurant is not that great but the Malay restaurant is very tasty. Nonetheless, if you dont want to spend toomuch, just go to the coffee house which is equally good.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
PRManager88, General Manager at The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Dear Enjoystravelling,

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur..

First allow me to thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor. We take all comments very seriously so you can be rest assured; we are looking into the unfortunate incidents which have occurred to you during your stay with us. Allow me to also apologise on behalf of the management for the less than satisfied services and inconveniences that you encountered in your room which is not to the usual standard at The Royale Chulan.
The respective departments have been notified of their flaws. All our associates have taken into accord that on top of warm and friendly service, proper attentiveness and time management is of utmost importance when serving our guests.
We hope that you will give us a another opportunity to prove that we are still offering the best service in the city and allow us to prove our dedication to you.

Dato' Franz Swoboda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

You are travelling & busy during the day , you need a breakfast & a start to the day.. It was the best I've had from many hotels, so much variety.. Just after a workout in the gym & a swim in the pool.
Five minutes & I'm in the action, shopping , Malay snacks allday,great stopover..view of the towers from the pool with friendly staff, a lot of other hotels could learn at lot from here..

Room Tip: Location,service,they get it right...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Stephen D
Dear Stephen D,

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you for staying at the hotel and on behalf of our team, may I say how grateful we are to hear of your positive experience in our hotel and truly enjoyed the buffet breakfast. We hope you will stay with us again in the near future and extend our unique Malaysian hospitality.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

We stayed for the second year running at The Royale Chulan. Great location and decent rooms (especially for the price) - amazing breakfast! So much to choose from! The original room we were given this time was at a lower level than last time and I loved the view of the Petronas Towers so much last time I was a little disappointed. However, when I explained this to the front desk staff they were more than happy to accomdate and even offered a choice of new rooms on a higher level. There was also one particular bell boy from Nepal (unfortunately, I did not get his name) he was so helpful and polite, he was doing his internship at TRC and seemed geniuinely excited about his career ahead. Great experience overall!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Petronas Towers
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear amaggsy,

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you for your return stay, kind words and vote of confidence in our service. We are constantly improving our services hence all honest feedback are taken seriously. We do hope that you will find time to visit Kuala Lumpur again and perhaps stay with us in order for us to serve you again.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

We found a good three nights for the price of two deal which made this hotel a reasonably good deal. It's a pretty standard hotel, good pool facilities. It wasn't particularly well located as it was a walk away from any subway station. If you're not interested in spending lots of money and going to overpriced tourist restaurants around the immediate vicinity of the hotel then you will end up walking much further to get to reasonably priced food courts. We were horrified to see the prices of food at local malls - at least 10 times the price of what's available in a 'real' food court further away.
The air conditioning in our room was very weak so we ended up changing rooms and this was done very quickly.
As our baby was ill during our stay we needed to see a doctor - I was very impressed with the way the front of house staff helped out, as soon as I asked how to do this the gentleman called for a free shuttle to the nearest hospital and we were on our way! The staff kindly enquired over our baby's health and were very attentive to our needs.
Although the pool itself was very nice we were surprised that you have to keep the pool towels at the pool - my husband was reprimanded for taking his towel back to the room! it seems odd to provide towels at the pool only to expect people to then drip their way back to their rooms.....
A good stay overall.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Nicola S,

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. I am happy to hear about your pleasant stay with us. I do apologize for the incident with the air-conditioning unit. Please be rest assured that such a rare occurrence which took place during your stay has been attended to by relevant department leaders to ensure that it will not happen again.
Once again, we thank you for your kind words and patronage and we certainly look forward to serving you again.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

I brought my family with 3 kids in tow to stay here for 2 nights. The room was spacious and the bed was plush and fluffy. The bathroom had a sliding window next to the bed so it gave an airy and even more spacious feeling.

We were there to celebrate both my eldest son's and husband's birthday so I pre-arranged with the hotel concierge to purchase a cake and send it to our room. To my surprise, they didnt charge me for the cake during checkout and informed me it was complimentary. I must say here that the chocolate was delicious and huge! We all loved it.

We also had in-room dining the first night. The food was tasty at the right temperature and they come in large portions so I'd say it is worth the money. The hotel is also in walking distance to the major and elite mall Pavillion and Starhill. We are spoilt for choices to shop and dine at these malls. We just had to cross one road.

The pool are is large and fortunately there is a kids pool. So I didnt have to worry too much about my children when they swam. The outdoor cafe, however, was not attended to, therefore we could not order beverages or snacks while the kids swam.

Breakfast session was quite crowded. The breakfast station provided varieties of choices to spoil on, but it was quite noisy and hectic as the crowd starts for breakfast.

Check in and out process was quick and easy.We barely waited longer than 15 minutes and we were off to go.

On another note, I also organised a birthday party for my daughter at the restaurant 2 years ago.I requested for a certain backdrop and assigned seatings for the guests. Much to my surprise, the restaurant staff came up with a better colour coordinates and very helpful in making the party a wonderful experience.

i would definitely come to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PRManager88, General Manager at The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear Zadrielz,

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur!

I can’t begin to tell you how happy it made me to read about your experience at our hotel. The team here strives to make each guest experience as close to perfect as humanly possible. When we accomplish that goal we’ve done our job. I am so honored that you choose us as your holiday destination with your family. And we’re extremely grateful that you took the time out of your busy schedule to share this wonderful feedback. I really appreciate it and know the team will as well when I share it with them. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

Room was clean and well kept. The hotel is centrally located and near many bars and clubs, if that's your scene. The air conditioner only had the fan working. Breakfast buffet was 90 ringitts. While the quality was decent, the price was quite excessive by Malaysian standards.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank IHeartMacarons
PRManager88, General Manager at The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear IHeartMacarons,

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you for making us your preferred choice during your recent stay in Kuala Lumpur.
We appreciate your feedback and comments. We hope you will find time to visit us again soon

Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

Staying at the Royal Chulan for 4 nights was a wonderful experience for my family as we rarely stay in 5 star hotels. Our interconnecting rooms were very spacious and luxuriously appointed, even though we were in the lower price range rooms.

The breakfast buffet was jaw-droppingly expansive: a wide variety of high quality Indian, Malaysian, Middle Eastern, Japanese and Western dishes were complemented by a large range of bakery products, fruit, cereals, salads, soups ... I'm sure I've missed some. The coffee was also really great.

The service was excellent from most of the staff and we had some amusing chats with the assistant managers who took the time to connect with guests in the lobby. Reception staff remembered our room number and were friendly and efficient. We had to leave very early on our last morning for our flight home and the staff opened the breakfast buffet half an hour earlier than usual so we could eat before we left, for which we were very grateful.

The only real complaint I have relates to the concierge services. While the concierges themselves seemed nice enough, I had to drag information from them - and even then the information I received was minimal. On our first morning I asked for a range of brochures and maps. I was given one map. I asked if there was anything else I could have and he handed over three brochures. I asked if there was anything else he could tell me of interest but apparently there wasn't. The next afternoon another tourist told us about the GoKL free bus service in the city centre - it would have been nice if the concierge had mentioned this. On our last day we discovered the hotel had a shuttle bus to major attractions - again, no mention of this from the concierge.

With its convenient and quiet location, excellent outdoor pool, and amazing rooms and facilities, I can highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank MichaelandLisa44
PRManager88, General Manager at The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear MichaelandLisa44,

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. We constantly look forward to our guests’ feedback and comments in order to continuously improve our service standards. May I say that my team and I are very grateful to hear of your good experience in our hotel. And at the same time, we would like to apologise on the unsatisfactory service rendered by the Concierge staff . Your comment has been shared with the team and corrective measurements have been instilled.
We hope that you will find time to visit us again soon.