“Relaxing 3 days” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 340 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Dubai
“Relaxing 3 days”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

After checking out or the Furama Hotel because of issues this hotel was a very pleasant surprise.
In the city center but a calm Oasis.
The pool area was excellent plenty of space to relax and a good 20 meters in length.
Rooms were well presented with all the mod coms, staff helpful enough but not as friendly as thier Bangkok counterparts,
Impressive views of the Pretanos Towers just about everywhere.
On the ground floor there is a Bar with nightclub including good resident band.
Overall a good choice

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Stephen A
PRManager88, General Manager at The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear Steve A,

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you for your positive feedback and for making us your preferred hotel in Kuala Lumpur during your stay. We are indeed very pleased to hear that you had taken advantage of most of our facilities and we hope that you will find time to visit us again soon.

Your sincerely

Dato' Franz Swoboda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Peshawar, Pakistan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

Loved our stay at the Royale chulan when we stayed there for three days on our honeymoon!
lightening quick check in, very courteous front desk and bell hops!
free upgrade to a premium room, i guess for being on our honeymoon, that gesture really made us feel amazing after a long and very tiring journey!
lovely clean room! big, all amenities, exceptional bathroom with a nice rainfall shower and clean towels. very five star for a phenomenal price!
about the sheets, they leave instructions for guests to do if they want their sheets and towels changed, they are clear and very easy to follow, and i love the message behind them - a go green initiative!
and the bed! ahh, excellent! and the memory pillows, thin and plush to choose from! best sleep of my life, (maybe cause we were too tired to complain too, but no seriously, really good beds)

breakfast, amazing, i counted more than 30 stations, very cool friendly cooks and wait staff. tea and coffee was kind of a let down, otherwise very good breakfast, highlight of the morning!

swimming pool looked amazing, shame we didnt get the time to try it out.

and let me get to the best part about the hotel! the LOCATION!!
literally a five minute walk to pavilion mall, where the great bintang walk starts! just take the side exit and walk down to the parking bays, you can see the marriot, which is right next to pavilion mall!
the otherside, main enterance, a 10 min walk to the petronas towers! the location, in my opinion was the best part about this excellent hotel, and by all means, will definitely stay again!!
Good job, Royale Chulan, something different, something truly malaysian about this place!

Room Tip: some people complain about the ac plant/ or the filteration plant, but honestly its not even noticea...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear hassanwazir,

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur!

I can’t begin to tell you how happy it made me to read about your experience at our hotel. The team here strives to make each guest experience as close to perfect as humanly possible. When we accomplish that goal we’ve done our job. I am so honored that you choose us while you were in Kuala Lumpur for your honeymoon. And we’re extremely grateful that you took the time out of your busy schedule to share this wonderful feedback. I really appreciate it and know the team will as well when I share it with them. We look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you are in town.

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

3 nights at Royal Chulan were fantastic. Hotel is very different to so many high rise same-same even if they are 5 stars. Chulan has a real sense of style and is very traditionally Malaysian in structure and with a real sense of being somewhere exotic throughout the hotel. We had an awesome suite with an amazing balcony fit for royalty! The staff all give the highest level of customer service in 5 star style.....all our wishes were granted and so politely. We could not fault our time at The Chulan and both feel we had the highest of 5 star treatment.

Room Tip: Look for a good bargain on a suite....you will feel like royalty!....balconies bigger....great livin...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PRManager88, General Manager at The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear mojonmarzi,

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you for staying at The Royale Chulan and on behalf of our team, may I say how grateful we are to hear of your positive experience in our hotel and enjoyed our spacious suite and other facilities. We hope you will stay with us again in the near future.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

I was staying at this hotel for 4 nights. Beautiful property, traditional malaysian architecture with luxurious touch and great buffet breakfast that's it. Mixed feelings on how the staffs were actually deliver the service.

How to get there from KLIA? There are 3 options. By bus, taxi or train. We chose taxi because it is more efficient and cost less than a train. MYR 74.30 per taxi.

For our departure, we booked a taxi on this website: www.klia-taxi.com
Very reliable, on time and cheaper than hotel taxi. It cost us MYR75 per taxi.

Arrived at the hotel around 15:00. Quick respond by the concierge team and assist us with the luggage. Approach the reception desk and told to be seated because the reception desk was very busy with other guests who arrived earlier.Waited at the seating area for sometimes and noticed the staffs was actually check in other guest who arrived later than us. Approached the counter again for check in where the staffs looked confused and very disorganized.

Approached the counter on our second day here because the A/C was very warm even after the 3rd attempt by the technician. The front desk staff said our room number was not in the system after we were repeating more than 3 times. No apology.

Requested an ice cube from the reception desk on our last stay for our champagne because the refrigerator in the room was not chilled enough to keep the champagne. Waited for more than half an hour but none of the staff deliver it. Not sure whether there is no communication happen there or they are actually understaffed. Call the room service again for an ice cube, but was delivered on a small bucket where we were clearly telling them for a big bucket of ice cube. Spoke with the room service staff for more ice and bigger bucket, but he never come back.

Not sure whether this hotel was actually hiring a blind housekeeping staffs. They came everyday to change the towels, linen, and clean the trash bin. That's it. They didn't clean the used glasses, vacuum the floor, or even telling the maintenance staffs that one of the light bulb in the bathroom was not working.

Will i go back to stay at this hotel? It's a big No No.

10 Thank Meow_Boy
PRManager88, General Manager at The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Meow_boy,

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We welcome all feedback and comments as they are tools to further assist us to improve ourselves hence you can be rest assured, your review/comments are taken very seriously.I apologize for the less-than-satisfying experience you had with us, especially with regards to facilities in your room and unsatisfactory service rendered.
Please be rest assured that such a rare occurrence which took place during your stay has been attended to by relevant department leaders to ensure that it will not happen again. We thank you for your patronage and we certainly look forward to serving you again.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

I cant wait to write a review for this Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur and in fact I'm writing my review when I'm still at this hotel.

Stay here for 2 nights to attend my sister's engagement. Booked 8 rooms to accommodate my families for this event.

Pros:-
1- Concierge was friendly and very helpful.
2- Rooms are very clean and nice with the awesome view.
3- Problems with electrical facilities during the first night but the technician attended our problems straight away even though at midnight.
4- Easy access to the Kuala Lumpur's main attraction and tourist spot.

Cons:-
1- Kettle in our room was replaced 2 times by the room service's staff because every time we use it, it tripped the power supply in the rooms and the technician told me that this happened frequently to the previous guest as well. Seems that they didnt try to troubleshoot the problem before but just keep on giving excuses that the problem is coming from the kettle but I doubt that very much due to the problem still arises when I use the steam iron.
2- THE FRONT DESK STAFF WAS SUPER RUDE TO MY WIFE. This happened when my wife asked whether the other rooms are ready and if they are ready then we are requesting for early check in. I understand that early check in is subject to availability but it doesnt mean that the front desk staff need to be that rude. When my wife asked, he said that the rooms are not ready yet. The problem is one of the staff promised that the rooms will be ready by that time and early check in is possible. Then that guy said to my wife "the rooms are not ready yet, do you want me to give you dirty rooms?" My wife was shocked and angry so she said "yes, i want the dirty room". Then he asked my wife again but now in Malay language seems like we are so stupid to understand. He asked "awak nak bilik kotor ke?". My wife answered "Yes, i want bilik kotor". Then only he refer to his manager saying that this guest want the dirty room. The manager then approached my wife and explained to my wife that they cannot give us the dirty rooms and will prepare our room a.s.a.p.

I dont mind to wait provided that they talk to me politely. I am truly upset with how they treat their guest. To the General Manager of The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur, the SUPER RUDE STAFF name is SIVAKUMAR. I dont know how this particular guy treat the other guest but I am writing this review base on my personal bad experience.

Stayed March 2014
8 Thank badrul_103
Dear badrul_103,

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur!

First allow me to thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor. We take all comments very seriously so you can be rest assured; we are looking into the unfortunate incidents which have occurred to you during your stay with us. Allow me to also apologise on behalf of the management for the less than satisfied services and inconveniences that you encountered during checking in which is not to the usual standard at The Royale Chulan.
The respective department have been notified of the flaws. All our associates have taken into accord that on top of warm and friendly service, proper attentiveness and time management is of utmost importance when serving our guests.
We hope that you will give us a another opportunity to prove that we are still offering the best service in the city and allow us to prove our dedication to you

Yours sincerely

nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights in a Club Room to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Unfortunately on the first night my wife was knocked down crossing the road and suffered severe bruising and cuts. As a result we spent the entire 5 days confined to our room until she was fit enough to fly home. The service we received from the hotel staff was superb and helped make a traumatic situation manageable. The room and facilities were excellent. Every member of staff went out of their way to help - from the door staff who initially helped me to the domestic staff making up the room. All our meals were taken in the hotel and were very good. The Club lounge staff were especially helpful, nothing was too much trouble. I very much look forward to returning at some point to the hotel which was also very good value for money. I would advise visitors though to be extra careful when crossing the road in Kuala Lumpur!

Room Tip: Club rooms are worth the extra
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PRManager88, General Manager at The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear NottinghamEleanor,

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur.!

Thank you for making us your preferred choice for your wedding anniversary celebration on your recent stay in Kuala Lumpur.
I am happy to hear about your pleasant stay with us though we are sorry for the unfortunate accident that your wife had on the streets. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay throughout the 5 nights and appreciate your feedback and comments. We hope you will find time to visit us again soon.

Yours sincerely

Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

1) The concierge people were actually friendly and helpful. The people we dealt with at reception were surly and tired and they made us feel unwelcome.
2) We had a late lunch in the Warison Cafe which was clean and the waiter was very friendly (although he messed up our order), but the food was passionless and average while still being comparatively expensive.
3) Whenever you meet any staff around the hotel they greet you which did actually help the hotel feel nicer than just walking past people everywhere and not communicating with anyone.
4) The breakfast was a huge variety of different cuisines. Although the fried breakfast, which is a fairly international norm, was terrible there were plenty of other things to try. I really enjoyed this chilled fruity oat-and-milk porridge. The European continental breakfast (including cold cheeses and meats) was not that great either because of the meats and there not being a great variety. You should try food more common to the region when there anyway! Try fish curry for breakfast, or roti, chinese porridge with preserved vegetables, sushi, it's a good selection.
5) If you get to breakfast early enough you can enjoy sitting outside which we found really lovely. But this changes as the sun gets up!
6) THE NOISE!!! We were there 3 nights. For the first 2 nights they had some conference or party in the central area and there was booming music which made our room shake. I could barely hear the TV. It was horrible. A hotel for us is mostly somewhere to rest well, but this wasn't going to happen until 11pm, by which point we were in foul moods because of tiredness and being forced to listen to, and feel, the music. We could watch the party on one of the TVs channels though [smiling through gritted teeth.]
7) You can walk to the Petronas Towers and Buket Bintang (a really good shopping area for those with lots of money, yes, but also those who have a more modest amount) easily.
8) If you want to get to a public transport system (the companies aren't integrated like in many of the worlds cities) it's not that convenient and you really should avoid getting a taxi during busy times as you can be stuck in traffic for a long time (small roads).
9) The road leading to the hotel from buses, the monorail and Buket Bintang is lit but there aren't many people and I feel single pedestrians should be very careful. This is because there is lots of land being developed on this road.

Room Tip: Avoid facing inwards if the hotel is hosting an event!!!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Childeater
PRManager88, General Manager at The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear childeater,

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to write a review on The Royale Chulan. We welcome all feedback and comments as they are tools to further assist us to improve ourselves hence you can be rest assured, your review/comments are taken very seriously.
I apologise for the less-than-satisfied experience you had with us especially on the noise that came from our guests' function right in the heart of the hotel. Your concerns raised have been discussed with the relevant department heads and steps for improvement in the areas mentioned by you are in place and have been implemented.
Again thank you for your feedback and we would certainly like to welcome you back one day for another chance and to make amends. Please let us know if we can assist you.