“Loved our stay”

Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #24 of 349 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Myself and my husband visited Malaysia for our first anniversary in November. During our time in Malaysia we were lucky to spend 3 nights at the Royale Chulan. The hotel gave us a better room than we originally booked which was a nice surprise and the room itself was fantastic. Spotlessly clean and well presented. Lovely balcony. Comfortable large bed, large bathroom area with separate shower and toilet cubicles. We had breakfast included which was fantastic. They try to appeal to all tastes/cuisines and the food was really excellent and plentiful. It was sometimes a struggle for a table though. The concierge, reception and porters are very friendly and helpful. The hotel is in a great location. Very close to fantastic shopping and dining facilities and conveniently located for all siteseeing. I thoroughly recommend a stay at the Royale Chulan.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fraggle42
FSwoboda, General Manager at Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear fraggled42,

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. We constantly look forward to our guests’ feedback and comments in order to continuously improve our service standards. May I say that my team and I are very grateful to hear of your good experience in our hotel. We hope that you will find time to visit us again soon.

Dato' Franz Swoboda

Write a ReviewReviews (2,614)

Reviewed January 26, 2014

We have stayed in Royale Chulan Hotel for three nights. The location of the hotel was perfect for us - 5 minutes walking distance to Pavilion Mall (we used to have dinners there).
The hotel itself is very classy - the lobby is truly amazing. We got an apartment, we didn't have Petronas towers view but didn't need it as were out all the day long. The bed was very comfortable, the sheets and towels were immaculately clean. The only thing which surprised us a lot was plenty of white paint patches along the walls (the painting was done very unprofessionally), my husband even joked that the painter was drunk.
The staff was very friendly and professional, the breakfast had a large selection of meals.
I would definetely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
FSwoboda, General Manager at Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Dear AlexandraZHD,

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you for your positive comments and for making us your preferred hotel in Kuala Lumpur during your stay. We are indeed very pleased to hear that you had taken advantage of most of our ‘plus points’ . We always look forward to our guests feedback on a daily basis, positive and negative, and rest assured we are constantly taking measures to ensure improvements with regards to maintenance and the quality of our service. We hope that you will find time to visit us again soon.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed January 25, 2014

I stayed three nights at the Royal Chulan in mid December. I requested a room with a view of the Petronas Towers and was given a room with the most amazing view. My room was gorgeous, huge and with a lovely bathroom and toiletries. All the staff here I met are fantastic especially the wonderful staff at breakfast and dinner buffet. Great position within walking distance to Pavillion and towers. For nice quality souvenirs a short walk to the Craft Centre is a must. I had a really nice stay and highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: My room was on the 2nd floor with an incredible view of the towers at night
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Dear 124cazzawill

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you for your kind words and vote of confidence in our service. We are constantly improving our services hence all honest feedback are taken seriously. We do hope that you will find time to visit Kuala Lumpur again and perhaps stay with us in order for us to serve you again.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Stayed here from the 21st to 24th Jan. Stayed on the 6th floor in club room. Handy as the club was on the 5th floor. The room was spacious. The problems: noisy air conditioner, very hard bed, problems getting toilet to flush, broken remote control for TV, not enough water pressure or heat, ants about the place....much of this the usual problems people complain about and that I come across in my travels and usually just put up with it.
The pool is just ok, not very deep say about 1.5m and it is the same depth all over. Trying to get a drink and some food at poolside was like pulling teeth. Spent 15 mins trying to get the uninterested barman to get me and my partner a drink, and food which consisted of French fries and French fries only! Despite having an extensive list of food at the pool bar. He looked at me like I was taking some of his precious time away from texting on his mobile which he was doing when I arrived at the bar. He wasn't interested.
Breakfast was a dogs breakfast consisting of a mish mash of the usual hotel buffet stuffs, nothing really a standout. We only had one morning there and spent the next two morning's in the club. As for the club it is ok, nothing special. It certainly was quiet, in three days I counted 3 customers there.
As a footnote, I used the room safe to keep wallet, passports etc. But made the mistake of putting my 1200 australian dollar headphones in there(in there own suitcase). Unfortunately for me I forgot them on checkout. An hour later as I was nearing the airport the penny dropped and I had realised what I had done. I thought don't panic you have just left and you are returning to KL next Monday when you could pick them up then. Phoned the Royale Chulan to explain what had happened and could they look in the room and that they couldn't be missed as in the suitcase they are quite large. They said call back in an hour. So an hour passed (in that time I also emailed them explaining what had happened) and I called back to have someone at "lost and found" tell me they had gone over the place twice and nothing in the room or safe "goodbye sir" and that was it! No apology or any offer like ..."are you sure you haven't packed them sir"...nothing!....I know I left them there as I don't have them, but that last comment "goodbye sir" pretty much sums up the place. As soon as your gone they don't care, pretty superficial overall.
The moral of this story, make sure you're well packed because once your gone, anything you have left there is gone as well!
I'm sure the hotel will respond below about how sorry they are and how they spent some time looking for the headphones etc etc but I can tell you at the time when it mattered they didn't care. As for a response to the email I sent them I'm still waiting.

Room Tip: I can't.
7  Thank nodnyls
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Awesome!! was the first impression that you have as we entered the Hotel. It was much more than expected, super value for money. The rooms, bathroom, bed size, location of the hotel, staff, ambience, facilities, everything is just perfect. It really gives you royal feeling. There are malls nearby, food options, and the bukit bintang or the raja chulan station are around 500-700 mtrs. I would definitely recommend this one in KL.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear BhaumikShah,

Reviewed January 23, 2014

We had a three day stopover in KL on our way from London to New Zealand. Our stay at the Royale Chulan was a wonderful experience. The room was very large as was the bathroom.it was good to have a bath as well as a large shower Bed and furniture were very comfortable , our only minor quibble was rather noisy air conditioning. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We arrived on an early flight and were allowed to check in at 10 am at no extra cost. Public spaces were magnificent and there was a good swimming pool and a well equipped gym. It was good to be able to lie on one back in the pool and see the top of the t win towers! Breakfast allowed a choice of half a dozen cuisines with lovely fresh bread and omeletts and impeccable service. When we discovered hotel back entrance access to the huge Pavilion shopping mall was very easy. from here there were free public circular buses to KLCC and China Town. A ten minute walk took us to the monorail. We had a three days for two deal which was outstanding value. We booked directly on the hotel web site which required no prepayment or deposit. Overall a highly recommendable experience.

1  Thank macforge

Dear macforge

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. I am happy to hear about your pleasant stay with us. I do apologize for the incident with the air-conditioning unit. Please be rest assured that such a rare occurrence which took place during your stay has been attended to by relevant department leaders to ensure that it will not happen again.
Once again, we thank you for your kind words and patronage and we certainly look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Stayed at The Royale Chulan Damansara Hotel on 17th Jan to 19th Jan 2014.

The location isn't that great as there is no bus or train to reach there. You can only reach there by taxi. The nearest LRT station is Kelana Jaya LRT Station which is 20mins drive away. Luckily there is a shuttle bus from the Ikano Power Centre (Shopping Mall) beside the hotel. But the shuttle bus run at 1.5hr interval.

Upon reaching the hotel, the lobby is huge. With all the classic decoration. Room is spacious as well. The hotel is surrounded by 4 shopping malls (E-Curves, The Curves, Ikano Power Centre and IKEA). All are linked together with the link bridge. Take a 5 to 10mins stroll and you can reach the shopping malls.

Tried their breakfast. Not much variety and the taste is average.

The hotel has their own ice skating rink. Didn't try that as there are lots of people.

Room Tip: If possible, do request for non smoking floor as the hotel allows smoking. We, as a non smoker staye...
1  Thank leeyre
FSwoboda, General Manager at Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Dear leeyre,

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you for your kind feedback on the hotel but unfortunately it is our sister property - The Royale Chulan Damansara. Nonetheless, your comments will be forwarded to them accordingly.

We hope that you will give us a visit whenever you are in the city in the near future.