“poor management”

Ranked #24 of 345 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Melbourne, Australia
“poor management”
Reviewed May 22, 2011

instead to be a date to remember for my wedding anniversary, was one of my nightmare, which i will never forget.....
for start, arrived in K.L. from Australia, after a long trip and 2 hrs of travel by car, from the airport, we arrived at the Royale Chulan, do you think a glass of water or some refreshment was provide at the arrival ? NOTHING!!,...... ( not like other hotels we have been provide fresh towel and drink at the arrival)...
then, at the lobby, they can't find my room, my name was not on, in the list for the day, my friends instead had 3 rooms booking under his name,... after 2 hrs and the coolness stuff working at the lobby, they take off one the room of my my friends and passed on to me, without any apologies....
the problem wasn't finish there, we were at the hotel around 11am, two hrs to convincing the stuff, i had a booking for 8 days to this hotel, ,they told me, the room was not ready and check in should be at 2 pm......
6 months prior arrive at the rohale chulan, i have spoke to one of the management, asking,if was possible ( paid) to make a big surprise to my wife for our wedding anniversary..... she told me, she will make my anniversary something special, nobody at lobby know her ( ridiculous ) when arrived she was not available, was not any flower, no arrangement, nothing of nothing...... and they let us to wait, until two pm ( because we asked for the keys) outside, like ''strangers''
We'll not return back to this hotel, coolness and selfish, they really did left a sign negative, over my wedding anniversary..... also for the money we paid, including breakfast and the room, was not a 5 stars hotel.... ( the tv and program station should upgrade, including the breakfast)...
good bye royale chulan , i will make sure to passed on to my friends and my colleagues , the negative experience of your hotel... bye Valerio from australia

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank valerio55
TheRoyaleChulanKL, General Manager at Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, May 24, 2011
Greetings from The Royale Chulan!

First allow me to thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to write a review on our hotel. Your honest feedback and comments help us strive in improving our service standards and facilities.

Please accept my apologies on behalf of the management for the unfortunate incidents which may have occurred to you during your stay with us. I have analyzed your remarks and investigated with the respective department heads, as to find out what exactly occurred.

Your reservation which had gone through a middle party travel agent had not indicated that you were celebrating your anniversary therefore we regret that we were not duly informed of this. And, although two names were indeed given to our reservations department via the agent, our staff had only keyed in one name for two rooms for which I must apologise. Steps are being taken to ensure this won’t happen again therefore please do be rest assured.

Our system incidates that you were promptly checked in at 11.00am, therefore we cannot verify as to why you would be waiting for your room until 2.00pm as per your review. Irregardless, please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience.

I do hope that you will reconsider and give us a second chance to serve you in the future. We invite you to come and reevaluate us again for us to prove our dedication our guests. Once again, thank your time and kind consideration.

Franz Swoboda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
City of London, England
Reviewed May 18, 2011

Our two nights at the Royale Chulan were eventful - and not in a good way. My boyfriend was unable to check-in when he arrived ahead of me, despite his name being on the reservation, They treated us like thieves by asking four times if the MasterCard I gave was a pre-pay or debit card rather than a credit card. The Reception staff were snooty and unfriendly - very rare in Asia and a terrible start.

The rooms are fine, and what you'd expect for a 5* city hotel geared to travellers. They are well-equipped, although weirdly the minibar has ONE can of Coke, ONE can of Fanta and ONE can of soda water. Maybe they thought, as thieves, we would steal that too.

There's a nice pool on the second floor, with loungers and towels. Breakfast is a standard large buffet - but quantity seems more important than quality.... We had two terrible experiences with Room Service getting our orders wrong and then forgetting half of the dishes components. There are so many amazing places to eat in KL just don't bother eating in the hotel. Two minutes away, in the basement of the Pavilion Shopping Centre there is a food court with fifty or so food options, in addition to about twenty restaurants. Far better in terms of both quality and price.

Our real problems started at night. I gather that it is common in KL's 5* hotels for a group of people to book a room and basically party all night. There were six people in the room adjacent to ours screaming and singing all night. We called the night manager at 1am and then again at 5am had to be moved into another room. Why a supposedly 5* hotel can't handle guests who are breaking the rules in beyond me. We ended up having to liaise with 3 separate Duty Managers during our visit.

Although some effort was made to appease our complaints (offer of free buffet - no thanks!), they just didn't make us feel like valued guests. We also had issues with the Business Centre - it's efficient but they have an unusual and inconsistent pricing policy so beware....

There are hundreds of 5* hotels in KL and in future I think we shall just try some others; we've tried the Westin (good) and the JW Marriott (dated but great) so far and I can't think why we would return to the Royale Chulan.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EmPalmer
Greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur! First of all, please allow me the opportunity to thank you for writing a review on our hotel. We take all comments and feedback seriously so you can be rest assured we are taking steps in order to overcome the issues you have brought to our attention.

On behalf of the management, I would like to apologise if you have encountered any lackadaisical attitude from our front office staff pertaining to your reservation. The department has been notified of this matter and the head will personally ensure that all staff is aware of the unfortunate experience you had underwent - and, that such lack of service shall not be repeated.

I would also like to apologise on the quality of the food and food service you may have experienced during your stay with us. Our chefs and F&B personnel has been notified of your experience and we will try our best to ensure that such experiences shall not be endured twice by our guests.

Regarding your noisy neighbours, we have conducted an investigation into this matter and have uncovered the fact that more than a single manager had attended to the room, and had tried to alleviate the noise level but to no avail. The right thing to do would have been to inform our security to escort the guests from the hotel, but my managers may not have acted in a more competent manner to your satisfaction during this particular incident. We apologise for this unfortunate experience. We assure you that future offensive behavior by our guests will not be tolerated and our security personnel will see to it that the quiet sleep time of our guests will not be jeopardised in such a manner again.

I do hope you will offer us the opportunity to serve you again and thus allow us to erase the memory of such an unpleasant experience with us. Once again thank you for your honest feedback.

Yours sincerely,
london
Reviewed May 13, 2011

I am currently staying at this hotel and I hope things improve as we go on. This is my third night and 5* it is most definately not. We arrived back to the hotel at 11:15pm and both my young children were sleeping. We alighted from the taxi and removed the strollers and placed them at the hotel entrance. We then carried our children up to the room and hadto return back downstairs to collect the strollers. So where were all these attentive staff people are going on about? No one to be seen at 11:15pm and they call it 5 star? I then spoke to the desk staff who advised me that there is no one available and that they work mornings and afternoons. I then spoke to the duty manager who had a stern word with him implying that there was no staff.
We have requested items on three seperate days and they have taken no less than 30 minutes on all occassions to deliver.
Breakfast staff are good although the food lacks that 5 star flare. Fruit consists of 3 types of melon and banana only. My last 5 star had at least 8 different types of fruit, all beautifully presented. I could go on but I think you get the point.
I am hoping all will improve or my return stay next week will be in a differnt hotel.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank mindwise
TheRoyaleChulanKL, General Manager at Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, June 5, 2011
Greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur! Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to write a review on our hotel and allow me to apologise for the services that did not meet your expectations during your stay with us.

Our front desk and concierge area is manned 24 hours a day, therefore I am unsure as to why you were told by my staff that there were none working. Nevertheless, this is not an excuse for not having personnel on the floor to attend to your children's strollers and for this do allow me to apologise on behalf of the management. The treatment that you received from the receptionist is indeed not to the usual standard here at the hotel - I will personally see to it that it will never happen again as there should always be staff always available with a smile and a helping hand regardless of the time.

I would like to thank you for highlighting the lack of fruit choices in our breakfast buffet. We will now add on a few items to uphold our 5 star dining experience standards.

Though The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur is a relative newcomer compared to other more established 5-star properties, we do intend to become a successful leading member. Your feedback will definitely help us in getting there in achieving our mission. Thank you again for your patronage and I do hope you will visit us as our team will be eager to prove our dedication to our guests.

Paris
Reviewed May 9, 2011

Great Hotel. Everything at the top (including the price) except the food (which is horrible). Large and nice room very well equiped with a superb bathroom. Big swimming pool. Nice staff. I would recommend without hesitation

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank AddAdrTA
herts uk
Reviewed May 9, 2011

Stayed in early April. Found the hotel to be in a good location for the twin towers,park and shopping.We were a bit disappointed at arrival by the check in process as the staff booked in two people when three people were standing at the desk. After a discussion our booking was changed to accomodate three and the extra bed that we thought we had booked through their own website was delivered. Slight issue at check out over payment , but that was resolved okay. Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice and generally all the staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Hong Kong
Reviewed May 9, 2011

The hotel, the room the service, the staff, the location, cleanliness. Very welcoming place. Friendly staff always ready to help. We stayed 4 nights & we would defentley go there again.The food was absolutely wonderful.Very beautiful hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Western Australia
Reviewed May 5, 2011

I have been fortunate to stay at several, different hotels within the "Golden Triangle" area of Kuala Lumpur, and this is one of the best. At first instance the whole lay out and design of the property sets it apart from the other international, high rise hotels nearby. To me this is a welcome relief. It's set back from the road (which is only a small two way one) and located close to the major shopping plazas (behind the KL Pavilion and down a bit). The Seri Melayu Restaurant is also right next door, and has a very good cultural dinner and show.

The whole hotel seems very spacious, from the foyer to the rooms and even the corridors. Check-in was fast and simple, and I was escorted to my room with a porter attending to my luggage. The corridor leading to my room was very wide and very white - and looked really, really clean - just amazed how clean and bright it looked. A high level of standard and presentation, which should mean the rooms are on par or if not, better.

I had a poolside room, which was very roomy throughout with the only drawback being a supporting pillar directly outside my door. This was only awkward for room service trolleys and clumsiness. Apart from that it was flawless. The bed was large and very comfortable, the furniture and fixtures/fittings in the room were also of a good quality, complementing style and more than adequate, and the bathroom was clean, practical, contained sufficient complementaries, and was very roomy too. Overall, I was quite surprised on the room's quality and size. As always though, the mini bar's prices were criminal but furthermore the choices/quantity were poor - a quick trip to Mercato's in the KL Pavilion can remedy that!

As this was only a stopover on my way home from Cambodia and for another tattoo session, I mainly ate outside of the hotel. I did have room service on the afternoon of my arrival. It was pretty good, but nothing great (and of course pricey) and arrived within a short while with a proper in-room dining trolley and condiments etc. From memory, the selections were limited, but from a variety of cuisines. Breakfast on my last day was a little disappointing. The signage on where breakfast was held was vague and the actual layout of the restaurant a bit messy. It is a buffet affair, with several different international cuisine stations scattered around - Asian, noodles etc in one area, toast station somewhere else, an egg station over there, something else over here blah blah blah... It all seemed very confusing, not very well thought out and no methodology to it. However, when I did find what I was looking for it was all really nice and the only fault was the "rock" hard butter direct from the iced water, which was impossible to spread. In future, I would skip this and opt to get breakfast later in one of the plazas.

The pool area is quite nice, with a main pool and a kiddy pool, outside showers, change rooms, an adjacent bar / alfresco restaurant (food and drinks can be ordered poolside) and plenty of sun lounges and towels for the guests. It's probably not the best in KL (Sunway Hotel Lagoon Resort, Bandar wins hands down) but it is one of the better ones I've experienced within the "Golden Triangle" area - in my opinion and experiences The Ascot is the best in the area.

Concierge service was a little on the lame side. I requested a private car (hotel limo) transfer to the hotel and when I my car arrived it was just a "fancy" taxi. Worst of all, it was the most expensive taxi ride I have incurred from very similar destinations. Methinks the taxi driver knows how to make the most out of the fare calculator eg. slow driving speeds, crawling from a far distance back when approaching red lights/toll booths (prices are different from moving to stationery). Also, the concierge assured me my luggage would be looked after while I went last minute shopping - when I returned I noticed that it was not secured or being looked after, as it was on the same trolley in the same position from where it was left...lucky I padlock all my luggage and wire-lock them together.

Overall, this hotel was very good and I would return here again, and I would also recommend this hotel to other travellers and families.

Room Tip: I got a good deal by booking online early + prepay