“Not helpful, not clean, not great”

The Green Hut Lodge
Reviewed January 11, 2011

We stayed here right before Christmas and we saw online that there was a discount for 3 nights, so we tried to book through the site, but it didn't work. When we showed up, we asked for the discount and the night manager said we should talk to his "boss" in the morning. When we spoke to the woman in the morning, she said that she couldn't do the discount and that she wasn't the boss. It wasn't much, so we didn't argue. Well, that SAME day, she posted signs stating the exact same discount at the front of the hostel as a "holiday special". Apparently it just wasn't applicable to us.
The room was a little creepy and dingy, the bathroom was dingy and there wasn't a mirror in the place. Kind of weird. The neighbors were constantly stomping and banging on each other's doors at 3 and 4am. The free breakfast was toast.
Also, the hostel is pretty far from most of the things you want to see. I wouldn't recommend this place--we met people who were staying in Chinatown and enjoyed their stay much more.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MMM2011

Reviewed October 8, 2010

I checked in paying in advance for a 4 night stay. I had problems with so many bedbugs in room #13 and then #8, I couldn't sleep much. Later I found that it's a problem they have many times, in most of the rooms, but they seem to do nothing about it. I moved to a cleaner hostel but they kept the money I paid for the next three nights.

The staff is actually quite nice, but somehow the management decided not to clean the hostel and let the staff deal with the complaints and never refund any money. Awful.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank oskywalker
Reviewed September 30, 2010

We travelled to Green Hut Lodge for one night which was purely en route to Singapore from Sri Lanka. The ONLY good thing about this place is it's location being only a 10 minute (if that) walk from Lot 10.

When we arrived (after a 40 odd minute walk from the Bus Station and very hot etc) we walked in with our bags and were promptly told to get off the wooden floor and remove our flip flops outside on the dirty forecourt area. I would not have had such a big problem with this if i'd not walked in and felt the dust and dirt grating under my feet and between my toes! I'm not sure why they would tell you to remove shoes when they obviously do not clean the 'good' floor - ever!

We are both military and not inclined to whinge about poor standards but you can imagine our distaste when told that it was another 20 odd RM to have a window (this was not on the website to which we paid our 10% deposit).

We viewed the windowless, pokey, dirty room and decided to rough it purely because we were only there for a matter of hours before leaving the next morning for Singapore.
The communal shower was hanging off the wall with not even a bracket as it had been broken and not replaced, the large drain hole in the shower was covered in massive black hair balls which i took the opportunity to wash away before my husband went it. There was no lock on the toilet or shower door which is unaccaptable, especially given the amount of drunk students there was wandering about.

The room itself did have aircon but it didnt seem to do much, the walls of the room were paperthin and made from MDF so moved if you touched or leaned on them!

Do not take anything expensive to this place as the door and lock to the room were pretty paultry. The free Wi-FI must have been dial up and the computers were full off viruses.

I would not recommen this place!! Grotty!!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TQ1982
Reviewed September 29, 2010

and when we got there the owner/manager suddenly wanted 15RM more per night for a room without any windows pretty close to the bathrooms. In the end we got a room with windows, which had nothing in it but two single beds... and we had to pay more than the price agreed on over the phone. That annoyed us, but as it was pretty late we were not in the mood of running around and finding another place, especially as we had phoned several places in the area which had all been fully booked.
The location is pretty good. Public transport is right around the corner, lots of food places and food stalls, if you fancy walking it's easy to get to Chinatown and to KL Menara or to on or another of the many shopping malls.
The place is pretty clean. While we were there we saw a lady several times a day cleaning the floors of the communal areas.
Breakfast is very basic (water, coffee, toast, jam), two computers offer internet access and there is a free wi-fi.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nadischka
Reviewed May 7, 2010

It was really busy to stay here. Within one night, I got more than 100 bites and killed at least 13 bugs on my bed. Torch is a necessity because you need that to inspect your bed and find out all bugs to kill them.... Not much use because there are more bed bugs on the floor, mats and wall.

Then the staff told me this:
"some people just don't adapt to it." ---- NO ONE can adapt to a bite of bed bugs.
"you should take a shower when you feel itchy." ---- Can you take a shower for your bed bugs too?
"I could kill them anytime, but if i do it, no one can sleep in the room tonight." ----- Yeah, i agree finally. That is the ONLY reason they never seriously kill them because.....
"Other guests don't have this problem. " ---- because we're not even a guest, we're a walking wallet.

Staff is actually quite friendly, but please, many travelers are usually knowledgeable about bed bugs. Silly explanations are actually worse than no explanations.

Bonus Nightmare:
Imagine if the water supply has suddenly gone right after you just put shampoo on your hair.... I was lucky. Water was out of service when i was about to put shower gel on my body. It happened in two days, and day and night. The toilet became so terrible when there's no water flushing the toilet.

Extra Tips:
According to my roommate, he found out another 10 bugs in his backpack. So be careful if you're going home after this.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank dullmau
Reviewed January 23, 2010

I stayed here for 4 nights alone. i was very cheap as i remember, i booked it through the sta website. the room was just a bed and the shower and toilet was down stairs from my room but it was ok. not the best place iv stayed but i could handle it. There was free internet all the time and it worked the whole time i was there, there was a small queue sumtimes but no one really stayed on longer than they needed. it was free breakfast as well, i mean it was toast and you could get tea and coffee but it was free so i wasnt grumbling. they also ran a trip to the batu caves, it was the time of the hindu festival in january and i had a gr8 day,just watch if you are female and blond, i got alot of attention. i could have got it cheaper mabey but it wasnt dear and worth it for the expierience. the hostle didnt have alot of facilities, i dont recomend it for a holiday but if you are a backpacker and need a cheap room its fine. i read the reviews with the bed bugs, i didnt have this problem but it may be different now. i was scared to go out at night so i sat with a beer outside the hostel which was nice looking on to a bustling street. i hope this helps.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed November 25, 2009

This hostel is full of bed bugs!!
I had to stayed in this hostel in 2007 because all hotels were booked during public holiday(except expensive suites) this is definitely the worst hostel we had ever stay! the room is small, has no window, the shared toilets are dirty,no table,no chair,nowhere to hang my clothes,dark ,share air-con(there is a hole between two rooms so half air-con for each room! the person next door keep on switch on and off air-con!) but that's not the worst thing what is the worst just like everyone here mentioned BED BUGS!!
we been bitten badly and we complaint to the reception,he gave us mosquito spray which didn't kill the bed bugs instead more coming out from the celling!
there were 3 girls from the domitory ran out from the room and complaint they were bitten badly but the owner do nothing!
We tried to kill the bed bugs but more we killed more comes out! we stay up to kill the bed bugs until midnight, we were exhausted so we asked to change room but been told by the receptionist all rooms were fully booked!! we asked for refund but he said no refund allowed! I asked him "how can you expect people to stay in a room full of bed bugs?" he ignored us and left us stand there waiting. my husband asked him again he said that' the only room he got and no refund allowed"!! So we left at 3.30 am in the morning and went to the nearby KFC waited untill 6 am then we checked in to another hotel((so we didn't have to pay for the same night)
This happened to us about 2 years ago. I thought they would have done something about the bed bug problem but today I read the reviews that still many travelers being bitten by bed bugs so they obviously do nothing about it! They don't care that travelers beeing bitten by bed bugs and can't have a good night sleep!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple