“Don't know why Lonely Planet recommends this place!”

The Green Hut Lodge
Ghent, Belgium
“Don't know why Lonely Planet recommends this place!”
Reviewed April 2, 2011

The only positive thing I can say about our stay in de Green Hut Lodge is that the lady working ost of the time at the desk is kind and helpful.
For the rest, the rooms were dirty, smelly and small. It was one of our most expensive rooms in Malaysia and really not worth the money!!
The rooms are really noisy too and it is quiet a walk to discover the city. Breakfast is really poor, just some toast and jam, laundry is pretty expensive for Malaysia...
I wouldn't recommend this place at all and have no idea why lonely planet does!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Raspo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Indonesian first
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 2, 2011

We didn't know what to expect for Maleysian standard as it was our first stay/night in Maleysia. We booked 4 nights to settle down a little bit and plan our Maleysian trip.

The hostel was in the Lonely Planet so we thought, it must be ok. And first, it was a little ok, we had a room on the top floor with balcony but with a shared bathroom (we booked a private one, but when we arrived there wasn't avalaible anymore...). The room was ok, really hot but the A/C was working (not really good but it cooled down a little bit). It has just one double bed, and there was just enough space to put our luggage.

The shared bathroom wasn't as clean as the room and the shower wasn't hardly a shower. Therefore we insisted to take a room with ensuite bathroom. Bad idea. We ended up on the ground floor in room with a window overlooking the...kitchen (don't think about sleeping after 6am - there's too much noise) and there was a hard humid smell in the room. After complaining, we were told to put on the A/C, it would disappear but that wasn't true.

We thought about moving to another hostel or hotel but then I went sick...so I laid 36hours in our smelly room. Luckely the bathroom was clean (enough) (really really small though).

There's breakfast included, but it's just toast with chemical jam.

A positive note: we thought the Indian lady was helpfull/friendly and we met some awesome guys/ladies in the communal area. And the wifi is fast.

So if your on a real shoestring budget, I think it wil do. But there's a hostel in the same road that looks a lot better so I would recommend to go over there or find one on Tripadvisor that"s better rated.

Room Tip: Ask one on the top floor
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JelDek

Travelers are raving about these Kuala Lumpur hotels

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed March 12, 2011

I stayed there for 5 days, and when i complained about the power socket that was broken and asked for a cable extension, the indian malaysian lady manager told me to talk directly to the guest house, telling me I know their language, this was off course an insult as if I didn't deserve for any service, and after I found out the cable extension was also broken and asking for new one and she could keep the new one as house asset, she told me she can not do anything about it, and this is not my country and not a star-ed hotel, so I told her I'd get cable extension from public PC, after few minutes a local malay guy came to my room asking for the extension and if I have finished, he'd use it to use public computer.

In the morning, I was charged of breaking public property and that cable extension was broken due to me and I lost my RM20 deposit and she had the nerve showing me another broken cable extension that had been torn apart. Fortunately, for her, a guest fixed that broken cable extension due to blown fuse since he wanted to use the PC and she used that as a proof.

What I wrote was much milder of what actually happened.

I believe you can have more satisfaction staying in a different guest house along this street. And, let her know she is still working there because we pay her for it.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank de_prinz
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed January 11, 2011

We stayed here right before Christmas and we saw online that there was a discount for 3 nights, so we tried to book through the site, but it didn't work. When we showed up, we asked for the discount and the night manager said we should talk to his "boss" in the morning. When we spoke to the woman in the morning, she said that she couldn't do the discount and that she wasn't the boss. It wasn't much, so we didn't argue. Well, that SAME day, she posted signs stating the exact same discount at the front of the hostel as a "holiday special". Apparently it just wasn't applicable to us.
The room was a little creepy and dingy, the bathroom was dingy and there wasn't a mirror in the place. Kind of weird. The neighbors were constantly stomping and banging on each other's doors at 3 and 4am. The free breakfast was toast.
Also, the hostel is pretty far from most of the things you want to see. I wouldn't recommend this place--we met people who were staying in Chinatown and enjoyed their stay much more.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MMM2011
singapore
Reviewed October 8, 2010

I checked in paying in advance for a 4 night stay. I had problems with so many bedbugs in room #13 and then #8, I couldn't sleep much. Later I found that it's a problem they have many times, in most of the rooms, but they seem to do nothing about it. I moved to a cleaner hostel but they kept the money I paid for the next three nights.

The staff is actually quite nice, but somehow the management decided not to clean the hostel and let the staff deal with the complaints and never refund any money. Awful.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank oskywalker
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2010

We travelled to Green Hut Lodge for one night which was purely en route to Singapore from Sri Lanka. The ONLY good thing about this place is it's location being only a 10 minute (if that) walk from Lot 10.

When we arrived (after a 40 odd minute walk from the Bus Station and very hot etc) we walked in with our bags and were promptly told to get off the wooden floor and remove our flip flops outside on the dirty forecourt area. I would not have had such a big problem with this if i'd not walked in and felt the dust and dirt grating under my feet and between my toes! I'm not sure why they would tell you to remove shoes when they obviously do not clean the 'good' floor - ever!

We are both military and not inclined to whinge about poor standards but you can imagine our distaste when told that it was another 20 odd RM to have a window (this was not on the website to which we paid our 10% deposit).

We viewed the windowless, pokey, dirty room and decided to rough it purely because we were only there for a matter of hours before leaving the next morning for Singapore.
The communal shower was hanging off the wall with not even a bracket as it had been broken and not replaced, the large drain hole in the shower was covered in massive black hair balls which i took the opportunity to wash away before my husband went it. There was no lock on the toilet or shower door which is unaccaptable, especially given the amount of drunk students there was wandering about.

The room itself did have aircon but it didnt seem to do much, the walls of the room were paperthin and made from MDF so moved if you touched or leaned on them!

Do not take anything expensive to this place as the door and lock to the room were pretty paultry. The free Wi-FI must have been dial up and the computers were full off viruses.

I would not recommen this place!! Grotty!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TQ1982
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed September 29, 2010

and when we got there the owner/manager suddenly wanted 15RM more per night for a room without any windows pretty close to the bathrooms. In the end we got a room with windows, which had nothing in it but two single beds... and we had to pay more than the price agreed on over the phone. That annoyed us, but as it was pretty late we were not in the mood of running around and finding another place, especially as we had phoned several places in the area which had all been fully booked.
The location is pretty good. Public transport is right around the corner, lots of food places and food stalls, if you fancy walking it's easy to get to Chinatown and to KL Menara or to on or another of the many shopping malls.
The place is pretty clean. While we were there we saw a lady several times a day cleaning the floors of the communal areas.
Breakfast is very basic (water, coffee, toast, jam), two computers offer internet access and there is a free wi-fi.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends