“If a clean bed is what you only want.”

and 1 more site!
Paradiso Bed & Breakfast
Singapore
“If a clean bed is what you only want.”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

This is the second time I stayed here. The first was back in 2010 during the FIFA World Cup season. And here I was again, during the Euro 2012 season. I was here with my best bud. To find this place, just alight at Bukit Bintang Monorail, and look for the Mcdonalds and A&W joint. However the A&W was down for renovation, but you can still see the signboard clearly. Paradiso is located at the second floor of A&W. A staircase on the left with yellow-coloured walls will lead you to the front desk. Remember to pick the correct staircase. The other one leads to a sleazy massage parlour. The plan was to stay here only for a night, trying to explore Bukit Bintang's night life while catching the Euro semi-final match. But we were so hung-over and sleep-deprived that we decided to extend our stay.

That's the weird part. We head out at around 11pm. After everything was over, we staggered back to the place and were shocked that the front door was locked. The last time that I was locked out t night, was the time when my biggest worry was my pimple-covered teenage face. So it kinda surprised us that they locked the place. Ok maybe it was for security. But still.

Shamelessly we rang the doorbell at 5am. The tall bald guy unlocked the door and questioned us on our whereabouts. I answered most of his questions that it came to a point that I almost mistook him for my mother. Once we managed to reach our beds, we decided that we should be up at breakfast in a few hours time just to show him that we were not drunk and we know what we were doing.

Yes we were up in three hours time with the biggest headache we can remember. We wolfed down the orange juice, tea and toast and made small talk with the tall guy. He explained to us that it was for security reasons and that he had to lock up the place at night. He said that previously, there were some outsiders who sneaked up and slept on the couch at the lounge area after midnight. Anyway, breakfast was simple and filling. They had other payable selections available on the menu. Reasonable too.

We head back to our room after breakfast and snored away. The room we were in was at the extreme corner. A small room with 2 single beds, a little side table, and a mini lamp. Air-conditioned yes, but you can't control the temperature. It was set at 24 deg C, so it was ok. For RM40 per person per night, it was reasonable. You can get a cheaper bed for RM30 in the 6pax dorm with bunk beds.

The shower and the toilet was at the other end of our room. The toilets were clean. Showers had hot water and bath shampoo was provided. There was a lounge area where you can watch DVDs and hang out and interact with other guests. Wi-fi was free and at a very high speed too. I think that for what we paid, it was a very pleasant stay.

However I would like to comment on one thing. While I was there in 2010, many guests were backpackers, students, couples, sort of the young people kind of crowd. But this time, I noticed that there were families. There was even a small 8 year old girlfrom Indonesia that we managed to make small talk with. She said she was there with her mother and sister and her aunt and that it was her first time in KL. I have been to other B&B/hostels that don't allow families, those over 60 and those under 16. I guess Paradiso is open to the general public.

But all in all a good place to crash after spending all your money on the delicious street food, fake wallets or the endless massage all around the area. I would return, of course. Some other time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Singapore
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Pros:
- Splendid location
- Clean room
- Value for money accommodation
- Breakfast inclusive (toast, tea and a glass of orange)
- Soft drinks bought at the hostel are cheaper than what I get on the streets

Cons:
- No tv in the room
- No elevator (travelers lugging heavy luggage, beware)
- A bit of mouldy smell.
- Weak and unstable wireless connection when I stayed at the room. Outside of the room, the connection works fine.

As I stayed for only 2 nights, I find that the room was adequate for my stay. Besides the baldy who appeared to have a bit of a mood swing, I wouldn't mind returning to the hostel if the price remains reasonable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ken_Lee031
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Great value for money and the room was actually quite nice. The breakfast was handy too, toast,tea and a glass of orange juice. Except unfortunately I left on a sour note, which was disappointing because I was really impressed with the place as it is such good value for money. Myself and my friend got a cup of tea each for breakfast but we didnt drink it all as we just found the milk very sweet. My friend went to the toilet after and one of the guys who works there (he has a bald head) commented on how we wasted two cups of tea. Then as we were checking out the two cups of tea were sitting on the table in reception and he told us to drink up, no joke we were astonished by his rudeness. We said sorry we found the milk too sweet and he told us it was waste and that we should adapt to all the different tastes. I was so taken aback from it all, being a paying guest and I am basically being bullied into drinking tea, it was ridiculous. So despite all my good impressions of it all, that event completely changed my opinion on it which is shame really.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank sinead b

Travelers are raving about these Kuala Lumpur hotels

Danville, California
Reviewed May 2, 2012

As others have mentioned, the location is ideal in terms of access to public transport and shopping. It is on the second floor--walkup, no elevator--and is a bit of a hodgepodge of space but the room was clean, comfortable enough and the wireless worked flawlessly. Breakfast was basic with some items for purchase. Not for those intending to spend much ti,e in the room but filled the bill for me.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank uskuhlmans
padang, Indonesia
Reviewed April 17, 2012

approximately 1 years ago, during my holiday in KL, me and my friends was stayed in here :) the place is really comfort, feels like home :) the receptionist, a man as old as my father so welcome, if we need some suggestions where the good places to visits in KL, we can asking the receptionist. the rooms is really clean, the AC always on, and the bathroom is clean either. the weakness is just there is no wifi connections, and we just can using a computer just for a minutes. but still, the recommanded place to stay!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I would call this place rather a hostel than a bed & breakfast in the traditional sense. As a hostel, however, it is definitely worth staying there (KL is generally is city of good places of accomodation, though, so there's plenty of choice).

The location is bang on the corner of Jln Bukit Bintang and Jln Sultan Ismail, right next to BB monorail station, in the heart of the Bukit Bintang area, which is great for food, shopping, and nightlife. However, if you're sensitive to traffic noise, you might want to consider staying somewhere else, although I also have experienced way worse than this - even with a room facing the street, we slept reasonably alright.

The rooms are quite small, but very clean, and slightly above your usual hostel standard (like, towels are provided for free, and you get hotel-like bedding). The bed was a bit hard. Main criticism would be the non-adjustable aircon, which was a bit cold for our taste. The shared bathrooms are clean, but there could be some more considering the size of the premise. Ladies' showers apparently just come with curtains, no lockable doors.

What's really nice about this hostel is the numerous common areas, ranging from a telly area with couches over a shady airwell courtyard to a small rooftop terrace, even with some greenery. Great places to mingle in case you're blessed with nice fellow travellers! Staff in general was very friendly, only the owner seemed a bit grumpy. Free, decent breakfast is also provided, with the option of a selection of additions at a small cost.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Flo L
Reviewed March 10, 2012

location of this place is very good. one of the cheapest hostel at bukit bintang. u'll got breakfast for free (coffe or tea, orange jus, and bread). share bathroom shower have no doors! only coverage with curtain. the owner (baldy) sometimes not friendly and helpful, just leave him or he'll bite u. he he he..
but it's good place to stay if u want to save more money. :)

• Stayed July 2011