“Confirm your booking!”

Tropical GuestHouse
Ranked #108 of 344 Kuala Lumpur B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We visited Kuala Lumpur in January 2013 and had a drink at the Tropical Guest house and a chat with the really nice manager. When we realised that we had a night to spend there in January 2014 - we emailed the Tropical and booked a room in August 2013. We had numerous communications with the owner confirming our room back in August and September 2013. When we arrived (on the night of Tet!) - there was no listing of our booking and they were full!! The Manager brought us up the road to another guest house which was not a good standard but we did not have a choice as it was all very busy. We were disappointed as we had gone to so much trouble to book in advance. The Manager is a great guy but unfortunately, the owner, even though he informed her of the situation - never even emailed us to apologise for the mistake. Does not take a lot to do this so I was not impressed. Black mark for them unfortunately. We can't really rate it as we did not get to stay there but just a warning.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gilld001
There are newer reviews for Tropical GuestHouse

Reviewed February 8, 2014

Very well located in Bukit Bintang (next to bars and restaurants, and next to Jalan Alor with all the chinese food courts). The staff was nice and gave us useful advice to discover Kuala Lumpur. The rooms and bathrooms are ok (not dirty, but not perfectly clean neither), even if they are a bit old. A little coat of paint would be appreciated!
Tropical Guesthouse is perfect for backpackers or young travelers who need a well located room, but who don't care of decoration and perfect cleanliness!

Room Tip: The room just next to the lobby has a double bed but no window. Upstairs rooms have windows but tw...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Clemnoizette
Reviewed February 4, 2014

This is the most insane guesthouse I've ever stayed at. As I write, it's past 10pm and the music that is being blasted throughout the GH (there are actually speakers in the ceiling outside every room) shows no sign of relenting. It's a Monday.

When the music isn't blasting, you are sure to wake up from the person talking in the room next to yours or walking outside your door, which has all the sound proofing of cardboard.

Rooms are tiny, you will struggle to fit two people's luggage into the doubles. I booked the Deluxe Double, though I'm struggling to come up with what could possible constitute anything deluxe in it.

If you are not a fan of cigarette smoke in your room, don't stay in any of the front rooms as the smoke from the open reception will drift in.

The shared bathrooms have pebbled floors, which looks nice but unfortunately catches a lot of dirt. Towards the end of the day, they become somewhat yucky.

Probably a great place for all-night party backpackers, but for everyone else, give it a miss.

The front desk staff are a bit off-handed but seem ok for what this place is.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank madlittlemover
Reviewed December 31, 2013

This is a nice and cosy guesthouse that allows late check-ins which is great as I was arriving quite late from Singapore. I made a last minute booking here after deciding to head to KL for the weekend so I booked the Presidential Suite. After making my booking, I sent a follow-up email which was promptly responded to, while I was already on my coach ride towards KL.

Also, security deposit is not necessary at this guesthouse. Only thing is that if you intend to pay directly at the guesthouse, you must be paying only in cash. No credit card facilities onsite.

The place itself is quite simple with a no-shoes policy beyond the reception area, which gives it an interesting Asian style. This can be both a pro and con, as it makes the guesthouse cleaner but is annoying as you have to either leave your shoes there before entering or carry them to the room. And this is for every single time you come in and out of the guesthouse.

I do recommend you to bring your own slippers to walk around in the room though. The floor is concrete, both in the bedroom, and in the bathroom. The room comes with a set of traditional Chinese red clogs, but it depends if you can fit into it lol. It is rather hard to walk in them if you are not used to the style as well.

In the room, guests are welcome to scribble and draw pleasant graffiti on all the walls. You may borrow some markers from the reception counter and unleash your creativity as an imprint of your travel diary on the history of the room =). Quite a variety of colours available too.

Do note that hairdryers are not available due to previous pilfering guests, the air con remote in my room was missing too as guests often "take" them. So please bring your own hairdryer, ladies, if you don't want to sleep with wet hair. I was provided with an air con remote on my second night. Well... I guess it miraculously "reappeared".

Oh, and there is no phone provided in the room, so you would have to go downstairs to reception for any communication or requests with the staff.

Wifi wise, the router was placed at the reception area, and so it was where the signal was the strongest. There was no wifi signal in the Presidential Suite though. Not a beep. So you just have to check whatsapp messages and etc, only at the reception area.

There was also an odd constant "turning propeller /camera" sound that was coming from around the window area, but other than that it is quiet in the room at night. I was actually worried that it might have been the sound of a moving camera, but Jennifer and Khasif reassured me that this is only sound from a water tank pump. But it was still rather loud, and I couldn't sleep well as a result. It could be that I am a light sleeper as well. But just to take note, anyway.

What did annoyed me a tad, was that there was a short staircase within the room itself (3 steps). It is lovely looking, but it gets a little annoying to keep having to walk up and down to got visit the loo, and especially when you are sleepy and not very alert in the dark of the night =).

The room temperature can be a bit warm at first, but when it chills, then man, was it cold.

Which brings me to the length of the blankets provided... It would have been nice if the blankets given were longer. I had to choose to cover my feet, or my chest. And then, I decided I just had to huddle in fetus position in bid to keep warm. The blanket might have been alright for a child, but not as much for an adult, or a very tall child =).

The guesthouse is favorably located in the KL Golden Triangle at Tengkat Tong Shin Road, close to amenities such as late night convenience stores, clean and savory massage parlors, hawker food right outside, bars and restaurants. It's also a walk-able distance (5 minutes) to Jalan Alor for hawker food and so are the main shopping centres (10 mins). So you can't go wrong if you choose to stay in an accommodation on this street.

Besides, if you dislike any place that you have originally booked, you can just check out and check in with other accommodations within this street. There are MANY.

Special thanks to Jennifer and Khasif for their prompt and considerate service!

Room Tip: Back room has no wifi
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank runninghappytoday
Reviewed December 5, 2013

It is located right in the city center of kl. You can walk to the petronas towers in 20 minutes. The guesthouse has very special and nice rooms and the common room is nicely decorated. The cheapest rooms with shared bathrooms are a bit small but nevertheless comfy:-) we stayed in an ensuit double room, which was decorated with a lot of details. The price was very resonable. We recommend this hostel for everyone! The best hostel we stayed in in malaysia!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

Lovely place no one can hate it the guys who work there are very friendly and you will love the owner of the guest house....they got the rooms in town especially the presidential room its the best once u r in kl just go and check in there u won't regret it

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

We went to Tropical guest house at 6:15am after a very long bus ride from Thailand... We were very tired and decided to stay in this friendly looking guesthouse. We checked in around 6:15am - 6:30am and paid about 70RM which we though was a lot for what it was; basic but clean room with shared facilities. We got some sleep but were woken up a few hours later at 11am by the manager requesting we pay again! For the night... We were lead to believe we were paying for a night in a room.. Not 5 messily hours... We hadn't even had a shower or used the bathroom. We felt taken advantage of for our first few hours in Malaysia...

.... So, in swere, don't stay here if you don't have too!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple