“Safe, central, and no need to look for bars.”

Tropical GuestHouse
Ranked #109 of 345 Kuala Lumpur B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Stayed here for a week with my girlfriend as we were travelling Asia, and this is what we experienced:

+ Staff is amazing. There were two guys manning the reception at all times in shifts. They were both equally helpful, and fun in their own way. Their English was way better than expected, and they would answer any questions you might have about the city, tourism in general and how to get where. They'd even arrange transport for you if needed, say to Batu Caves for a good price.
+ Location was amazing. Food street with cuisine from all over Asia literally 50 m from the entrance, and not to mention the cheapest food place in town right across the street, named TGs, where we ate practically every day. 15-20 min stroll to the Petronas towers, and shopping malls around every corner. McDonalds and KFC were also really close to the guesthouse.
+ The social aspect of the Tropical Guesthouse is to be noted, as there's literally just one place to sit if you're not at your room, and its the entrance. This makes it really easy to meet people!
+ You can charge your electrical devices in your room, and there's also extra plugins at the lobby.
+ Wifi is quick ad reliable!
+ Cheap water, beer and soft drinks in the reception.

- Shared bathroom. The floor was always wet and I got an infection in my foot most likely due to this, the doctor said.
- Toilets are rampaged, and in one of the bathrooms the toilet doesn't have a button to flush, you have to dip your hand in soon-to-be toilet water to flush after you finish.
- Originally we booked 3 nights in the same room, but when we got there we got 2 nights in one room and we had to move for the last night. Later, we used this fact to bargain for a better price.

Other:

The street is filled with guesthouses, and we moved out due to the other ones giving a better price for the same room, if not better sort of room.
Don't forget to try to bargain, we got the rooms quite cheaper than the original prices.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ado D
There are newer reviews for Tropical GuestHouse

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stayed for 4 nights at the tropical guesthouse and everybody was friendly to me over here, I met a lot of new nice people and the staff was good. The rooms are clean and I love the bamboo gr. From Holland

• Stayed: February 2013
4  Thank jermo-de-lange
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Tropical Guesthouse is located on Tengkat Tong Shin, just off Bukit Bintang (a major shopping area of KL) and next to Jalan Alor (a great street for sampling Chinese cuisine). It's easy to find - the facade is striking - and the staff are friendly and helpful. However, I'm not sure I'd stay again. I've stayed in loads of places in KL over the yeas, including most of the ones on Tengkat Tong Shin and although they can be much of a muchness, there is variety. We *splashed* out on the Presidential Suite at Tropical for our last night, for 175 RM. Compared to a basic room at the Anggunn Boutique down the road, this was a rip off. The air con was poor, the bed was rock hard and it was a little bit dirty. All the furniture in the room was a little bit tatty. Normally I wouldn't mind but normally I'd be paying way less. There are some cute touches, like being able to write messages on the wall, and this is a reflection of the convivial tone of the whole place and I enjoyed reading them, except that most of them reminded me about how many people had shagged in the bed before we got there - ewwwwwww. You know it happens but you don't want to be told right?

Anyway, there are better guest houses for the money. The smaller rooms I saw - dorms, doubles and singles, looked pretty tired and absolutely tiny. Paint flaking off the walls and the people in there looked pretty miserable. So some positives - vibe, location and staff and some negatives - there are better, a bit tatty round the edges and tiny rooms.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Natkinson7
Reviewed January 16, 2013

spent 4 nights here
positives: convenient location near tons of shopping centers, restaurants,bars and public transportation. owner very helpful and friendly; place clean
negatives: in my price range 75 Ringgit a night, shared bathroom with floors ALWAYS wet;very small rooms
you cant do better for the price!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank estebandepraga
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Location is great. Rooms are small, but clean. Staffs are friendly and helpful. Owner is also very friendly and informative. She likes to spend time sitting outside with the guests, which i found its great! This place is also great place to meet other travelers. I always stay there when i travel alone.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Tropical Guesthouse has a great location and decent accomodations. The location is really spectacular - close to the monorail, the Pavilion, and lots of the best bars and restaurants in KL. There are tons of street food stalls around as well.

I was uninspired by the rooms, which are small and have one outlet - ours didn't work, which was very inconvenient. The blankets were square and not large enough to cover your whole body. Also, the walls in 207 had weird grease stains. However, the aircon was fully functional and there are lots of shops/pharmacies/bars nearby, which is good for when you want to party and then need to rehydrate (and maybe get some advil) the next morning.

The downstairs lounge is comfortable and internet is quite good. There are tables, couches, and some larger areas to sit as a group and meet fun people. You can play music, which is great except that it also plays upstairs so everyone has to listen to club music, disco, jazz, or whatever else is playing. The staff is very understanding if you want to turn the music off, but it's very annoying to have disco playing for 3 hours in the early morning... overall, this is a surprisingly social guesthouse and I liked the people I met there.

The staff is friendly and helped us get a taxi with another group to the airport at 3am for our early morning flight. This saved us time and money, and was great! Overall, I enjoyed this hostel although the rooms were not my favorite.

Room Tip: 207 has weird grease stains on the walls, is near the noisy street, and the outlet doesn't work...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Tropical guest house is the best guest house in town ever. The place where to meet people. Front desk staff friendly and the owner also friendly. Treat me as a friend and will do the best for the guest....

Location very close with the city and all the interesting location around.

Will coming back again to stay in this guest house.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo