“Galloway Flats”

Sarang Galloway Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #15 of 358 Kuala Lumpur B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We have just stayed at the flats for four nights. This is our second stay with Christina and Michael before we stayed at the Mutiara apartment. On arrival Anita was there to greet us and help us up the stairs and into the flat with our baggage. We arranged a time for breakfast each morning and as usual the service was great. The flat was basic but comfortable and had everything you needed. Centrally located and easy to walk to most places. On our second day Christina took the guests from all of their properties to an Indian cafe for breakfast which was great giving us the chance to try different foods.

Although the previous review had warned us it was a bit noisy, unlike the previous guests I could not get used to the noise and by day four I was so happy to be leaving. I did not have a good nights sleep in the four nights we were there . The neighbours are very noisy and as their apartment did not appear to have windows it was like having them in your room with you. There was a lot of shouting and small children up screaming and playing till gone 10pm. After that the other neighbour would start his DIY project drilling and hammering till after midnight. Add to that the person who thought we liked clubbing music the act was complete.

I love the hosptality that Christina and Michael offer and that is why we rebooked but unfortunately the other properties were all full so the flats was our only option. I have to sadly say that I would not stay at the flats again however, I would gladly stay at any of the other properties.

I would like to finish by saying thank you to Anita and all the other staff for the wonderful hospitality right down to the 4am start we had on our last day and Anita came to see us off and gave us a packed breakfast which the children were very happy with when we got to the airport.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank finbarandroy

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed at Sarang Galloway for three days. We were met by Anita when we got there, and due to some work going on out front on the sidewalk, we had to use the rear entrance for the first day. Anita sat down with us and provided some maps and details on the best way to get around using the monorail or taxi depending. We found her engaging and lovely. Also met Michael and Cristina on our last night, both were lovely. Lastly, we asked Cristina to set up our early morning return transport to the airport. The driver showed up on time and we paid 230 RM.

Some specifics:

-Location is fantastic - Its a short walk from the monorail and Times Square area.

-Price - We paid $190 a night, so divided by seven, about $25 a person. Cheaper than a hostel!

-Cleanliness - Not spotless, but definitely clean enough to make me comfortable. Some cobwebs and dust, but not a huge deal for us.

-Ammenities - Two showers - Water pressure is not great, but more than sufficient. Used the washing machine and dryer our last day. A/C worked like a champ!

-Breakfast was OK. The first day it was cold roti, toast and fried eggs. Second day Anita forgot the time and breakfast was about 30-45 minutes late. Cold fried eggs, toast and fruit. Again, not a huge deal, but got us out about an hour later than we planned. The last day we left very early and had packaged blueberry muffins and bananas.

-Appearance - Nothing to special on the outside, in fact coming in from the rear entrance got us a bit worried. A couple dead rats in the gutter system is never good for a first impression, but inside it is warm and inviting.

After reading the reviews posted here I think we had unrealistic expectations, but overall we were very happy with out stay. Likely will not return to Kuala Lumpur, but if I did I would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stayed here on my honeymoon with my husband. We reserved the studio. It is basically a rented condo in a highrise, with a cute little living room and a bedroom. It was 250$, which I think is way too expensive, however.

I ALWAYS go with tripadvisor to get the best spots and I'm usually never disappointed. This was a first.

The room was very nice BUT: the woman who checke dus is was incredibly invasive. She checked us in and WOULD NOT LEAVE. She meant well and was explaining things to do in the city, right up to the tiniest detail, to me and my husbanfd who were really tired and just planning on doing a little travelling. That's not the invasive past, however. One day we came home and the lady who had checke dus in was coming down the elevator. SHe said she couldn't service the room because she didn;t have the right key. She said she would come back the next day in order to not disturb us. We got into our room and got ready for a shower. That's when SHE WALKED INTO THE ROOM WHILE WE WERE BOTH FULLY NAKED. I screamed, and she said sorry. BUT SHE DIDN"T LEAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She came in and started doing the siches and emptying the garbage, and answer texts on her phone as I akwardly sat on the bed, naked under the towel my husband managed to throw at me from the bathroom, which he akwardly lokced humself into while she stayed. I couldn't manage to find the words to express how incresibly inapproprite this was! She left after ten minutes. !!!!!!!!!!!

Other big ick: our flight was leaving at 3:30 AM and so the day of our departure, we said we wanted a room that was more basic and less expensive than the studio, just to rest a little before we would leave. They said they had a room in a flat. Given their #1 rating, we blindly trusted their judgement that the room would be decent. OH MY WHAT A MISTAKE. The 100 MYR room was a dingy, dirty room in one of those firty looking appartment blocks that we all feel bad for the residents. Our jaw pretty much dropped: this was the type of room you would think some dirty little hostel would sell you for 40 MYR. We packe dour thinkgs and went across the street to another place for the same price.

Most of te good reviews are due to the owners, which yes, were very friendly and helpful. However, we barely never saw them.

So overall, this place is ok, but really does not deserve #1. Don't have high hopes. And maybe someone will walk into your room and stay while your completely naked.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank legermireille
cfml, Owner at Sarang Galloway Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

We seldom respond to guest reviews as we feel that it is the prerogative of the guests to express their frank and honest opinion of their stay with us. We accept the bouquets and brickbats in good nature. This is what makes TripAdvisor reviews trustworthy and sought after. When we travel we use TripAdvisor as well.

Where this review is concerned we feel that an owner's response is imperative to clarify and correct a couple of issues and comments made.

We always welcome guests coming to KL for the first time with a short list of useful information on how to get around the city and what to do to make them feel at home. It normally takes about 5 mins. and we usually leave the guests with a set of maps hand drawn by Michael for easy reference. Guests who have stayed with us appreciate the details in the maps and the tips given to make the best of their stay. Some even come back for more information not just about KL but about other places in Malaysia where they will be going. We are very familiar with KL and have many times made recommendations not found in any of the guide books out there.

It was Anita who checked you in that morning. If you had read the reviews you will know that many of our guests appreciates very much how well they are looked after by her. If you felt that she was taking too long all you had to do was to mention it and she would not have carried on.

On the point where you said that you were undressed when Anita came up to do the housekeeping, she had met you downstairs at the elevator when you came back from a walk and informed you that she would be going up shortly to clean the dishes. When she went up to your unit she knocked on the door before she went in. The door was unlocked so she assumed that you have left it open for her to go in. When she heard a scream she retreated thinking that she had startled you with the opening of the door.

When Anita entered the room after a few minutes she asked if she could do the housekeeping and you said yes.

You mentioned that you hardly saw Michael & Christina. Well we have asked you to join us when we were taking other guests out for breakfast and you declined. At one point you mentioned that you got too much attention and at another you want more attention. We are a little confused as to what you really want.

Lastly when you said you needed a room to stay after you checked out before your flight at 3am the next day we were left with only Galloway Flats which is a 2 bed room budget apartment. Many of our guests have liked the place and have requested to stay there when they returned to stay with us. It is not the lost luxurious of places but it clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. The building may not look grand on the outside as it is a budget accommodation. Anita advised no less then 3 times for you to have a look first and Christina in a telephone conversation with you also requested that you do the same but you refused and said you would take it.

Since you had said that you wanted it we declined accepting a request for it from a returning guest who called after we agreed to let you have it.

We are here to ensure that guests who stay with us have a pleasant experience when visiting KL. By and large we have done quite a good job judging by the reviews we have. We will continue to improve our service and environment so that more guests can an enjoyable experience.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We satayed in Sarang Mutiara for 3 days. The service apartment was very well furnished, well equipped and clean. Anita was particularly helpful. She provided us with city maps and guided us about all the places to visit. Overall it was a very good experience.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This was my second stay and I look forward to visiting KL mainly to see Christina and her family and Anita. First of all the location is great and close to everything. That being said what I especially like is that it is not in a touristic location but a neighborhood and you feel like you have your own little place in KL. the room itself is always spotless as are the common areas and believe me I am picky about this and usually hate sharing bathrooms. I however never felt this was the case as also you will be only sharing the place with two other parties and usually there are single travellers. Christina is a wealth of information on KL and also makes it a point to introduce you to ther travellers which is nice if you are alone. The breakfast is always yummy and Anita is always eager to help or fulfill requests. I really can't say enough about this place and the only guesthouse that I have stayed at during all my travels that I am excited to get back to.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Casa Mutiara for four nights and loved it! We hired the whole apartment and it felt like we were staying in a Malaysian home. Anita brought us delicious Malay breakfasts each morning and gave us local knowledge about what to do, how much things should cost, how to get around etc. my 2 young kids loved the roof top pool (ok so did my hubby and I!). Our stroller was lost somewhere between Australia and KL and Anita loaned us one of theirs - fantastic! I highly recommend Sarang Vacation Homes.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Lisa K
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We are 2 couples that booked Sarang Galloway for 5 nights in Feb '13.
For 3 nights we booked exclusive use & had to share on the other 2 nights ( no problem)
Unfortunatly we struck Chinese New Year & Christine & Michael were away for a few days so the assistance we anticipated was not available.
Anita told us that they did not recommend the "Hop on Hop off" bus but the pink bus she told us about did not look like an option. After 2 days we decided to try the monorail but fortunatly we had to go to the office & see Christine regarding the night market tour & she arranged a taxi for us to do a city tour.
Every morning our breakfasts arrived cold, & we felt that they were very basic, especially on the mornings that we were paying for the whole 4 rooms. The black coffee packets ran out every day.
The TV had no programmes we could watch, even to get a little overseas news.
Overall this built up & led to us being a bit upset.
Now the positives, & there are many :
The rooms are clean & pleasant although the extra bed makes things a bit crowded.
There is plenty of hot water.
The air conditioners work well.
Being 5 min. walk from Bukit Bintang & Jalan Alor is handy.
Muar & Sao Nam ( Exceptional Vietnamese) restaurants in Jl Tengkat Tong Shin have good food.
Christines night market tour was great even though most of the stalls were not open due to New Year holidays. We were still introduced to a lot of food that we would not have tried on our own. Enjoyed by all.
The lounge area is pleasant & comfortable.
Airport transfers & our Melakka tour were faultless.
The Swiss Garden Hotel next door has good coffee & cake, but it is expensive.

So whilst I spent a lot of the time frustrated I would have to recommend this as a very good accomodation option in KL & would go back in the future.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends