“Why is this #1 ??”

Ranked #13 of 328 Kuala Lumpur B&B and Inns
legermireille
“Why is this #1 ??”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stayed here on my honeymoon with my husband. We reserved the studio. It is basically a rented condo in a highrise, with a cute little living room and a bedroom. It was 250$, which I think is way too expensive, however.

I ALWAYS go with tripadvisor to get the best spots and I'm usually never disappointed. This was a first.

The room was very nice BUT: the woman who checke dus is was incredibly invasive. She checked us in and WOULD NOT LEAVE. She meant well and was explaining things to do in the city, right up to the tiniest detail, to me and my husbanfd who were really tired and just planning on doing a little travelling. That's not the invasive past, however. One day we came home and the lady who had checke dus in was coming down the elevator. SHe said she couldn't service the room because she didn;t have the right key. She said she would come back the next day in order to not disturb us. We got into our room and got ready for a shower. That's when SHE WALKED INTO THE ROOM WHILE WE WERE BOTH FULLY NAKED. I screamed, and she said sorry. BUT SHE DIDN"T LEAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She came in and started doing the siches and emptying the garbage, and answer texts on her phone as I akwardly sat on the bed, naked under the towel my husband managed to throw at me from the bathroom, which he akwardly lokced humself into while she stayed. I couldn't manage to find the words to express how incresibly inapproprite this was! She left after ten minutes. !!!!!!!!!!!

Other big ick: our flight was leaving at 3:30 AM and so the day of our departure, we said we wanted a room that was more basic and less expensive than the studio, just to rest a little before we would leave. They said they had a room in a flat. Given their #1 rating, we blindly trusted their judgement that the room would be decent. OH MY WHAT A MISTAKE. The 100 MYR room was a dingy, dirty room in one of those firty looking appartment blocks that we all feel bad for the residents. Our jaw pretty much dropped: this was the type of room you would think some dirty little hostel would sell you for 40 MYR. We packe dour thinkgs and went across the street to another place for the same price.

Most of te good reviews are due to the owners, which yes, were very friendly and helpful. However, we barely never saw them.

So overall, this place is ok, but really does not deserve #1. Don't have high hopes. And maybe someone will walk into your room and stay while your completely naked.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank legermireille
cfml, Owner at Sarang Galloway Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
We seldom respond to guest reviews as we feel that it is the prerogative of the guests to express their frank and honest opinion of their stay with us. We accept the bouquets and brickbats in good nature. This is what makes TripAdvisor reviews trustworthy and sought after. When we travel we use TripAdvisor as well.

Where this review is concerned we feel that an owner's response is imperative to clarify and correct a couple of issues and comments made.

We always welcome guests coming to KL for the first time with a short list of useful information on how to get around the city and what to do to make them feel at home. It normally takes about 5 mins. and we usually leave the guests with a set of maps hand drawn by Michael for easy reference. Guests who have stayed with us appreciate the details in the maps and the tips given to make the best of their stay. Some even come back for more information not just about KL but about other places in Malaysia where they will be going. We are very familiar with KL and have many times made recommendations not found in any of the guide books out there.

It was Anita who checked you in that morning. If you had read the reviews you will know that many of our guests appreciates very much how well they are looked after by her. If you felt that she was taking too long all you had to do was to mention it and she would not have carried on.

On the point where you said that you were undressed when Anita came up to do the housekeeping, she had met you downstairs at the elevator when you came back from a walk and informed you that she would be going up shortly to clean the dishes. When she went up to your unit she knocked on the door before she went in. The door was unlocked so she assumed that you have left it open for her to go in. When she heard a scream she retreated thinking that she had startled you with the opening of the door.

When Anita entered the room after a few minutes she asked if she could do the housekeeping and you said yes.

You mentioned that you hardly saw Michael & Christina. Well we have asked you to join us when we were taking other guests out for breakfast and you declined. At one point you mentioned that you got too much attention and at another you want more attention. We are a little confused as to what you really want.

Lastly when you said you needed a room to stay after you checked out before your flight at 3am the next day we were left with only Galloway Flats which is a 2 bed room budget apartment. Many of our guests have liked the place and have requested to stay there when they returned to stay with us. It is not the lost luxurious of places but it clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. The building may not look grand on the outside as it is a budget accommodation. Anita advised no less then 3 times for you to have a look first and Christina in a telephone conversation with you also requested that you do the same but you refused and said you would take it.

Since you had said that you wanted it we declined accepting a request for it from a returning guest who called after we agreed to let you have it.

We are here to ensure that guests who stay with us have a pleasant experience when visiting KL. By and large we have done quite a good job judging by the reviews we have. We will continue to improve our service and environment so that more guests can an enjoyable experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We satayed in Sarang Mutiara for 3 days. The service apartment was very well furnished, well equipped and clean. Anita was particularly helpful. She provided us with city maps and guided us about all the places to visit. Overall it was a very good experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This was my second stay and I look forward to visiting KL mainly to see Christina and her family and Anita. First of all the location is great and close to everything. That being said what I especially like is that it is not in a touristic location but a neighborhood and you feel like you have your own little place in KL. the room itself is always spotless as are the common areas and believe me I am picky about this and usually hate sharing bathrooms. I however never felt this was the case as also you will be only sharing the place with two other parties and usually there are single travellers. Christina is a wealth of information on KL and also makes it a point to introduce you to ther travellers which is nice if you are alone. The breakfast is always yummy and Anita is always eager to help or fulfill requests. I really can't say enough about this place and the only guesthouse that I have stayed at during all my travels that I am excited to get back to.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Casa Mutiara for four nights and loved it! We hired the whole apartment and it felt like we were staying in a Malaysian home. Anita brought us delicious Malay breakfasts each morning and gave us local knowledge about what to do, how much things should cost, how to get around etc. my 2 young kids loved the roof top pool (ok so did my hubby and I!). Our stroller was lost somewhere between Australia and KL and Anita loaned us one of theirs - fantastic! I highly recommend Sarang Vacation Homes.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Lisa K
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We are 2 couples that booked Sarang Galloway for 5 nights in Feb '13.
For 3 nights we booked exclusive use & had to share on the other 2 nights ( no problem)
Unfortunatly we struck Chinese New Year & Christine & Michael were away for a few days so the assistance we anticipated was not available.
Anita told us that they did not recommend the "Hop on Hop off" bus but the pink bus she told us about did not look like an option. After 2 days we decided to try the monorail but fortunatly we had to go to the office & see Christine regarding the night market tour & she arranged a taxi for us to do a city tour.
Every morning our breakfasts arrived cold, & we felt that they were very basic, especially on the mornings that we were paying for the whole 4 rooms. The black coffee packets ran out every day.
The TV had no programmes we could watch, even to get a little overseas news.
Overall this built up & led to us being a bit upset.
Now the positives, & there are many :
The rooms are clean & pleasant although the extra bed makes things a bit crowded.
There is plenty of hot water.
The air conditioners work well.
Being 5 min. walk from Bukit Bintang & Jalan Alor is handy.
Muar & Sao Nam ( Exceptional Vietnamese) restaurants in Jl Tengkat Tong Shin have good food.
Christines night market tour was great even though most of the stalls were not open due to New Year holidays. We were still introduced to a lot of food that we would not have tried on our own. Enjoyed by all.
The lounge area is pleasant & comfortable.
Airport transfers & our Melakka tour were faultless.
The Swiss Garden Hotel next door has good coffee & cake, but it is expensive.

So whilst I spent a lot of the time frustrated I would have to recommend this as a very good accomodation option in KL & would go back in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I am so glad I stayed at Saran Galloway B&B and got to meet Michael and Christina and Anita. It really was a quiet little haven yet in a great spot and close to so many amenities including great cheap food, the bus station and monorail.

I arrived on New Year day and they were all ready for me, and then came back two more times, each time leaving a suitcase and finding it on return, in my room waiting for me and friendly smiles. They also went out of their way to help me out with recommendations and places to go and I really appreciated this.

Plus the rooms are clean, spacious and you feel like you're in a home and can do your own thing. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have just returned from a three week holiday in Malaysia incl Langakwi and Sarawak with our two teenage children. We have stayed in many different types of accommodation, luxury resorts, rainforest reteats and medium range city hotels and hostels. This morning we were reflecting on our trip and the various accommodations and decided that Sarang Galloway was the most convenient for us. This place is like home with space to spread out. A/C is good.. Walking distance to everywhere we wanted to go shopping, washing machine so we could refresh our sweaty t-shirts. Clean and quiet at night. Our son woke with gastro and was very ill. Christina dropped everything to drive us to her family doctor and stayed there with us (at no charge for her time and transport). This goes way beyond expectation. Anita fussed over us like a family member. We had a late flight back to Australia and were able to store our bags and have a shower beyond check out time. Thank you MIchael, Christina and Anita and the rest of the crew.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family