“We were robbed in our room!”

Silka Maytower Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #209 of 346 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed February 23, 2013

As a birthday present for my mum I took her on a trip to Asia. We were both really looking forward to this trip for a very long time and I have been saving for quite a while. We stayed the Silka Maytower for 5 nights and the day before our departure I discovered that $400 euros was missing from my bag! I suspect that it might have been the cleaning staff that searched through our luggage while we were away from our room but it could have been anyone from the hotel staff with access to the card to open our room's door.
We spoke to the manager and the police but since we left I haven't had any update on the investigation outcome and emails that I tried to send keep bouncing back. I'm hoping to get a response through here and that something will be done to make up for what happened to us. Hotel management and security should be able to make sure that there are no thiefs amongst their staff so as guests we can be safe!
Room itself was dark, dirty and smelled of dust. Loud at night, cigarette smoke in the corridors.
Terrible experience and the worse start to our trip.

• Stayed: January 2013
4  Thank Karolinastravels
WongSP, Director of Sales at Silka Maytower Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Karolinastravels,

Warm Greetings from Silka Maytower Hotel & Serviced Residences.

First and foremost, it is with regret we noted the loss of your money in the room.

We have taken all the necessary steps to locate your money and a thorough investigation was carried out, which you are aware of it. At Silka Maytower Hotel & Serviced Residences, security and safety of our guests is of the utmost importance, we have placed CCTV on every floor and a Safe Deposit Box in every guest room for our guests’ usage and convenience. In addition, our staff has undergone training and the recruitment process was done with stringent standards. Our Duty Manager and Security Officer had personally attended to you and assisted by accompanying you to make the police report and we are still awaiting the result.

We have duly noted your comments with regards to the room conditions as well as the other areas highlighted and actions have been taken by the managers concerned for immediate rectification.

Please be rest assured that we will be in touch with you on the progress of the investigation.

There are newer reviews for Silka Maytower Kuala Lumpur

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Hotel is still in reasonable shape and I would go there again, as it was cheap (150 MYR / night, standard room) and clean. However, there are some drawbacks that you should keep in mind before booking: Wifi is only available in the lobby and the rooms only have LAN cables. Speed is about 50kb/s down and up (wifi and cable!), so be prepaired to wait some time. Moreover, I missed a hair dryer in the bathroom and the mattresses are only 1,80m long. The hotel rooms are located starting on the 21st floor which means you will have a good view on KL! The pool, located at level 8, was in a clean condition and used by only few hotel guests. Breakfast buffet is served on ground floor and costs 28++ MYR (30% discount for hotel guests). I have not tried it as there are plenty of other options in KL.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
WongSP, Director of Sales at Silka Maytower Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Dear 84mare84,

Warm Greetings from Silka Maytower Hotel & Serviced Residences.

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

Your remark on our internet was due to heavy internet traffic usage at the hotel and has been highlighted to IT department for rectification. For guest convenience, a unit of hair dryer is placed in every guest room as it is one of the standard room amenities offered.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience during your stay at our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Hotel is fairly clean. My family had fun 2 nights stay. We were given free upgrade to Deluxe Room. Location is great with food and shopping and train stn all nearby. Staff were polite and helpful. Breakfast was ok. The room was clean. Only the corridors leading to the rooms need upgrading. Overall it was a good stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
WongSP, Director of Sales at Silka Maytower Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Dear JuleSam26,

Warm Greetings from Silka Maytower Hotel & Serviced Residences.

Thank you for staying with us and we are delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to having you back for another memorable hotel experience whenever your travel brings you back to Kuala Lumpur.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

The pictures of the rooms look big on the internet as they use mirrors to make it look large. My was too small, not as clean and smelled bad. The service at front desk was poor! The hotel was not value for money. The only good thing about the hotel was the swimming pool.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
WongSP, Director of Sales at Silka Maytower Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Dear AroundWorldIn80Years,

Warm Greetings from Silka Maytower Hotel & Serviced Residences.

Thank you for your comments. First and foremost, we would like to apologise for the shortcomings that you had encountered.

As a value-led hotel, we have 4 different room categories namely, Standard, Deluxe, Business Suite and Serviced Apartment. Our Standard Rooms are aimed for the value conscious travellers and a minimal upgrade charges is applicable for guests who wish to upgrade their experience. We have taken note of your comments in regards to Front Office service and necessary trainings have been conducted and issues are rectified by the departments concerned.

We hope our shortcomings will not place us in your permanent disfavour and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

This is my second stay in Silka Maytower; and i can tell you that i am fully staisfied with the stay. I didn't expect any special treatment so, silka was just great for me to have a comfortable stay and stone's throw away from Shopping. It's located within Jln. Masjid India (which may look like a slum but far from it.) which is excellent if your preference is to travel KL via the train system.

Eating india local food is excellent; there's a 7/11 nearby plus fast food markets, KFC, McD's, Nando's is just a stone throw away.

I'm looking forward to stay here again for March. I hope you had your card readers in the lift fixed by then.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 25th floor. Close to the lift 2506. Very Quite
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
WongSP, Director of Sales at Silka Maytower Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear 75TK,

Warm Greetings from Silka Maytower Hotel & Serviced Residences.

Thank you for your continuous support and choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to Kuala Lumpur.

Please be rest assured that our maintenance team is rectifying the card reader in the lift as guest’s security and convenience is of the utmost importance.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to having you back for another memorable hotel experience whenever your travel brings you back to Kuala Lumpur.

Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

The studio apartment had all the essentials starting from a stove to oven to washing machine. However, since it was a privately owned apartment, the cleaning service was horrendous . The bed sheets were dusty and dirty.
However, location and taxi avaibility was not bad at all. Besides the cleaning part , it was a good stay!

• Stayed: July 2012
WongSP, Director of Sales at Silka Maytower Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2013

Dear Ashna H,

Warm Greetings from Silka Maytower Hotel & Serviced Residences.

Kindly forward your feedback to the Maytower building management as private apartments are under their purview.

At our hotel, quality and cleanliness is of the utmost importance and our spacious Studio Apartment is equipped with a kitchenette, complete with amenities for light cooking and a microwave that is perfect for families and long staying guests who want home conveniences.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

You should really read on before you decide on whether this is going to be the hotel you end up staying at.
I chose this hotel because it was the most reasonably priced one out of all my options. At first glance this hotel seems to have a fairly high rating (its a "4 star hotel", and has a score of 3.5/5 on tripadvisor) and the pictures of the Deluxe room, which I booked, looked very promising.
Later, my boyfriend told me that he read the reviews of travelers complaining about the little pest problem that the hotel seems to be currently facing. I did a double take on tripadvisor and realized that Maytower was really facing some pest control issues (COCKROACH CONTROL, actually.) I assured my boyfriend that everything would be fine, and that I have stayed in hostels that have horrible ratings and turn out fine.
When we arrived at the hotel, I asked the receptionist if he would need a booking number (because my passport usually suffices,) to which he curtly replied "Of course." His senior came up behind him and we thought that she would sound him off for being rude, but instead she gave us even worse treatment. She was rude and easily frustrated when trying to locate our booking, and made us feel worse than we already did with the potential pest problem.
When we got our room we were relieved to find that there were no cockroaches in sight. There were 2 miserable pillows on the bed, and one set of toiletries (including the toothbrush) but we managed to make ourselves comfortable. At around 1AM I woke up to knocking sounds. I tried to brush it off as someone knocking on the wrong door, but the knocking would not stop. After listening carefully I realized that it was actually hammering, coming from upstairs or the room beside, I know not. I got increasingly alert as the hammering continued intermittently. At around 1:10AM I noticed the hammering became someone tapping on the wall with their nails. It creeped me out and I woke my partner up.
We called front desk about 5 minutes later because the hammering was not stopping. Unfortunately, the phone was dead. There was no dial tone. We pulled the plug out and plugged it in again, and after a while we got a tone, and dialed front desk. They got security up to check, but the hammering stopped. We thought maybe that was the end of the creepy incident, but just when I decided to relax, someone pounded on the wall with their fist. I decided that I could not take the stress of not knowing if it was something supernatural, we went to the lobby, pyjamas, bed hair and all.
The receptionist was very helpful and told us that she would send someone to check again. She spoke to her manager, and came back a while later and advised me to go back to our room, and call again if the hammering should resume. I could not believe my ears. I was freaked out, and there was no way I was going back to the room, especially when it sounded like whoever was knocking was desperate to be let into our room. I told her to give me a refund so that I could go to another hotel and hopefully get a good nights rest. She spoke to the manager, who finally decided we could change rooms.
They upgraded us to a suite that looked fantastic. But the nightmare did not end right there.
I called reception to thank them for their help, and the free upgrade, and proceeded to unpack my things (this was already 2AM,) and right as we were unpacking, the phone speaker turned itself on, and dialed the voicemail. I hung it up and it just kept turning itself on and dialing voicemail. I plugged the phone out.
The next morning we woke up to a dead cockroach in the otherwise fantastic looking bathroom. Room service was kind and helpful and cleared it quickly.

In conclusion, I am not sure what to make of this hotel--the location is terrible (it is really in a ghetto area,) and unless you drive, or enjoy walking through shady streets, you can find better hotels for a little bit more money, the staff are generally helpful (could do with better trained front desk staff,) and the rooms... I honestly don't even know how to go about describing how low quality everything in the rooms are. I am only giving this a 3 because of the free bump up, and the helpful room service and night front desk staff.

So think again before deciding on this hotel.

Room Tip: Size of deluxe room is good.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Kitschykitty
WongSP, Director of Sales at Silka Maytower Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear kitschykitty,

Warm greetings from Silka Maytower Hotel & Serviced Residences.

As a value led hotel, we strive to give our guests’ quality service and hospitality excellence. Please provide us your email address so that we may contact you directly. Our email address is info.maytower@silkahotel.com

We look forward to hearing from you soon.