“ambience great. that is the overall winning point”
Review of Old China Cafe

Old China Cafe
Ranked #55 of 4,423 Restaurants in Kuala Lumpur
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 26, 2013

food is reasonably priced and mostly local cuisine. thats the majority choice of food. lighting is great as well except if this is situated in PJ, it will definitely double the crowd.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

You can have a fine and tasty dining in a cozy, old -fashion cafe.

The coconut milk rice, tradition coffee, curry chicken and duck soup are all good.

I think it's more worthy to go to this restaurant than madam kwan's as the price is slightly lower.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Pretty average food that is clearly aimed at westerners (the seemed obsessed with pointing out to diners that dishes were 'spicy'), indifferent service (food sent to wrong table, had to ask for bill 3 times) and the feeling that this is a restaurant resting on its laurels. Starters were OK ('Top Hats' and some greasy dumplings) then had an extremely chewy and fatty chilli-pork dish and Ikan Asam that could have been turned into flip-flops. The mock-distressed interior is quite atmospheric, but this is a completely phoney experience - expect to be surrounded by Europeans and to order from menu entirely in English. Not expensive, not cheap. Came here based on Lonely Planet review, but I reckon things may have gone downhill since their writer visited.

3  Thank Ianfinchtgd
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We had read about this place before coming to KL and as we were in Chinatown thought we'd give it a go! We had to wait a while for a table as it was totally full by the time we arrived, but luckily didn't have to wait long. My boyfriend had the sizzling beef and I had the fried rice, can't remember its proper name! The sizzling beef was gorgeous. My rice was supposed to be very spicey but I'd asked for it a little spicey as didn't want it to burn my mouth off! The rice was nice, but still too spicey for ,e! My throat was burning and I had to keep having water between every couple of mouthfuls! Now I'm not sure if they had forgotten me asking for a little spice or whether that was a little spice and I still couldn't handle it! If I were to have that rice again I think I'd say no spice! It was still good though, just took me a while to eat! The tow mains with drinks trident come to much either, I think it was 40 MYR. Would recommend people try this place if in Chinatown!

Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband is vegetarian and so he had the stir fry vegetables wrapped in bean curd skin, and it was really delicious. The coconut milk rice also tasted very good.

I had the Nyonya curry noodles which was very nice and taste different from the usual curry noodles that I had tasted before.

We also had Chinese tea. It was really good tea.

The dessert Bubur Cha Cha was okay. It was not as sweet as the usual dessert that we used to get in kopitiam or on the streets.

Overall, this is a good place for Nyonya food in Kuala Lumpur.