“Overpriced for Average”

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Sri Ayutthaya Thai Retaurant, USJ 11
22 Jalan Usj 11/3J UEP Subang Jaya, Subang Jaya 47620
03-5631 0928

Let me start by saying the ambiance of the place is lovely and the Koi in the pools running through the restaurant have grown lot since my last visit! 2 Adults with 2 teenagers however and RM 200.00 went nowhere!!!
Young Coconut at just short of RM 8.90++ per go is just too pricey.
The menu is ok, all the expected Thai dishes, it has a more Southern Thailand / Malaysian Thai taste. We had the Red Curry Beef (M) RM 29.90++, Green Curry Chicken (S) RM 18.90++, Kerabu Mango RM 17.90++, a 'Red' Tom Yam a 'Clear' Tom Yam. My Tom Yum Kung had 2 pathetically small prawns in a small 1 person bowl. It was OK but you could make better yourself in 15 minutes with some Instant Tom Yam Paste, The Tom Yam cost RM 13.90++ it was worth about RM 3.90- -. Steamed Rice RM 4.90 each. The Kerabu Mango was good, but RM 20,87 good probably not. Oh that is with the ++ is 6% GOVT TAX, 10% SVC CHG.
The service was pleasant if somewhat mechanical and impersonal, seemed very forced, they clearly have a 'way to do things' which I suppose is better than poor service.
Too much on the menu was quoted as 'Seasonal Price' I always see this as meaning be prepared for a rip-off. Authorities really should clamp down on this scam.

I could not quite put my finger on their problem, I think they have just been in business too long and everything has gone stale and lifeless, reminded me of my old school reports - could do better. I get the feel their business revolves around a lunch crowd on business expenses.

The crunch question would I go back again, sorry NO.

I rate it POOR because the value for money it is poor, at half the price it might have made average, maybe even good.

4  Thank Gary S

Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Tom yam and butter prawn is the best to name a few. tom yam Rm13.90/single bowl, butter prawn rm63.00 for 5pax. Varieties of desert for rm9.90/bowl.
The prices are more on the high side.
Good service and food but theres still room for improvement, especially kerabu kaki ayam.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

I have been here 2 times but at 2 different places - one in Damansara heights and the other one in wangsamaju. The food selection was ok. Nice restaurant. Service was ok. But it is overpriced. RM 600++ for 7 pax!? It is way too much. We can get better deal elsewhere.

2  Thank sfy8
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I went to this restaurant for several time... nice environment.. Like some people said the tom yam soup not nice..actually you have to choose, because they've got a few type of tom yam like clear tom yam soup ( this i didn't recommended, because yes! it just sour and spicy). You should try for the tom yum kung..nice... But what i think i like most is the soft shell crab cooked with crispy garlic and prawn butter... Yummy! And don't forget to try young coconut with laici for your drink..perfect! The only matter is the price! Too expensive! How ever this restaurant usually will be pack during lunch hour..

1  Thank Mea123
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I went to the Wangsa Maju branch recently for my first time; and the bill came in at about RM40-50 per person on average. It was not worth the price of "authentic Thai cuisine". On the plus, the ambience was nice, but there are better Thai food in KL. Nothing memorable about the dinner at all. Sorry..

2  Thank Khookiemonster