“Good Japanese Food”

Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 1, 2012

We liked the Sunday Japanese food. It was good and good value

Reviewed February 16, 2012

A wide choice of buffet food spread to choose, nice & great taste!
Oishi!!

1  Thank MoshiMoshi99
Reviewed January 9, 2012

I remember growing up - frequently coming for their famous Japanese weekend buffets, where the restaurant took up most of the Mezzanine floor. There were sushi tables, teppanyaki grills, pancake and ice cream stands etc etc etc

Last weekend, we tried the New Year's Day lunch buffet and I was shocked that Kampachi has now been pushed to a small corner of the Mezzanine floor.

Instead of the standing buffet lines, we had to order the dishes from a small menu and they would cook/prepare upon order. It took 5 to 10 minutes for each order to come, and I was surprised when I ordered prawn tempura - one piece of prawn came out.

The fish was fresh. The teppanyaki was too oily. The fried rice had a very strange oily after taste. The ice cream was good.

Overall, I was mixed, but I came out very disappointed. I paid $90++ for that??

If I had a choice of either Kampachi Equatorial lunch buffet or Hilton KL's Iketeru (where Hilton's Iketeru lunch buffet also requires you to order from the menu, but their menu is 3 times larger than Kampachi!!) - then I would choose Iketeru simply by virtue of the greater variety and quality of the food.

I will not come back again - but then I hear the Equatorial KL is closing down for demolishment/renovation.

1  Thank MacGrumpy
Reviewed December 17, 2011

We visited this restaurant twice during our stay in the Bangi Equatorial hotel. Ok, we know Teppanyakki is not the most authentic Japanese cuisine (some say it was only invented for tourists), but we enjoy it very much. The first time we took the Royal Course, which was served far too quickly (53'15"). The second time, we asked for a slower service and took the Imperial Course, which was served in a perfect tempo (96').

We had excellent food and service twice. We absolutely recommend this restaurant and can only hope more people find their way to Kampachi.

Reviewed November 26, 2011

Dont get scared by the Hotel itself. Its years past its best times and usually not the kind where you expect good...anything. At the Kampachi itself, we were greated warmly by name. Plain Japanese decoration and ambience. Only Japanese customers, most of them on a Date or 50+. Thats of course the best sign. Nice choice of wine, good range of food. I read that they get the Seafood 2x a week from Tokyo Market via Jet. So we went for the Oh-Toro Sashimi, the Tempura and a mixed Suchi Plate. We had a few nice talks with the Manager, Kamarudin, who supported us excellenty with ideas about Wine, how what and when stuff works. My friend and myself were working in Dubai before and our favorite Sushi ever was there in a similar place called Kisaku. When we told Kamarudin that we have been in Dubai, he told us he was many times in this restaurant and we will not be dissappointed since they are on the same Level, the Chefs even know each others. The Tempura, the Sushi, all was absolutely excellent. But the Oh-Toro Sashimi was just unbelievable. Nice pieces, incredible Marble, I´ve never seen anything like that. It melted in my mouth. Then we were given some complimentary Oysters since it was a quiet evening and the next morning "the new shipment comes". Very nice, extremely generous. The Miso Soup was OK but nothing special. Apart of that: If you love Japanese and are in KL, come here, have a chat with Kamarudin, the Manager, enjoy the service and GO FOR THE OH-TORO. You will not regret it. 1 Bottle White Wine, Sushi, Tempura and Oh-Toro for 2 came to 150€. Looking forward to be back and again thank you Kamarudin for this truly wonderful Dining-Experience!

2  Thank Sebastian_Schmitt