“Authentic Taste”

Din Tai Fung (The Gardens)
Ranked #70 of 4,655 Restaurants in Kuala Lumpur
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is a Taiwanese chain of restaurants and I have been to a few outlets in Singapore and Malaysia. Initially, I was hard pressed to comment as I have tasted the best in Taiwan and in Hongkong. I also had not-so-wonderful experiences in the various outlets aforementioned. However, my mother said the Gardens outlet is very good and I gave it a go. Since then, I have been back numerous times and I do say that the service and food quality is consistent good.

The layout is simple and comfortable and many families do come in, especially on weekends. Lunch and dinner hours are usually crowded and there is usually a queue waiting with chairs lined up outside the restaurant for those who prefer to sit and wait.

I would go back again and again simply because it is authentic which is unlike the more common Cantonese cuisines readily available everywhere.

Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic Dim sum, only problem they close early so be fast. The menu is not extensive but the product are fresh. The atmosphere is lile in a fast food so don't go there for a romantic night but only for the dood

Reviewed August 8, 2013

So far Ding Tai Fung never disappoint me as they really serve good delicious food. The portion of the food is just nice and always allow me to order variety of food each time, from appetizer to dessert. (burp!!) The food are always very fresh, so don't hesitate to order the shrimp and fish dishes. And of course, we will never forget the Xiao Long Bao. (must try!!) Sesame tang yuan in red bean soup is also my favorite but it is a bit pricey.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

For all the westerners, this is a reataurant you will not find in Western-Europe, just because of the skill involved in make the dim sum. The labour costs are just too high.

You should enjoy this experience even more, taking this into consideration. A decently good meal for a good enough price (140 RM for 4 big earers going all-out).

Furthermore, it's a good experience seeing the dim sum being so skillfully made in front of your eyes as you are salivatingly awaiting seating.

Order the tea, free refills all the way and make sure to try the porc and shrimp filled dim sum.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

So I looked around for a good Dim Sum place and heard this was good so we made a special trip to get here. It's in the Gardens Shopping centre which you can get to by KTM train or taxi.
After a 20 minute wait we were finally seated and shortly thereafter received our drinks.
We tried some soup with shrimp dumplings and noodles, Xiao Long Bao, Shao-Mai and some vegetable dim sum. I thought this would give us a good tasting mix.
We found the soup and dumplings were ok, not a huge amount of flavor there.
The Xiao Long Bao, which is the signature dish was made very well with thin walls but again the flavor wasn't amazing. Finally the Shao-Mai and Vegetable Dim Sum arrived and I have to say I just wasn't impressed.
Honestly for the money (which was a lot) I rather have gone next door to the roast duck restaurant.

1  Thank James B