“As always, excellent steak dinner”

Pacifica at Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Went to the Pacifica again for a steak dinner. The place is gorgeous as always with attentive wait staff. Nothing to fault, just had an excellent time eating great food.

Just one thing, I actually wanted to have USDA prime steak but apparently Pacifica don't carry it anymore.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

Food is excellent. Nothing inovative, however, all ingredients fresh, properly prepared without mistakes. Beef Tenderloin was excellent, and also try their seafood appetizer. Staff is very friendly and they don't annoy you like they usually do in SE Asia.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Though a bit cloudy this was a delightful respite from the streets. The food/service/drinks were excellent and reasonably priced. We spotted this area from the bar at the Traders Hotel and it was as good as it looked.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

The Pacifica has gone through a few changes since it first opened at the Mandarin Oriental in Kuala Lumpur. At first it was a fusion restauran, next the location moved to near the side entrance of the hotel and it was a very high end sea food restaurant which the previous reviewer was writing about. Now it is a steak/grill restaurant and has moved back to its original location.

The first Pacifica I had only been once or twice as I'm not keen on fusion food. The second Pacifica I had been to a few times only as it had a very strict dress code (it was relaxed in the end ) and was quite expensive. The latest Pacifica I really like as I love steaks and the steaks there are as good as at Prime but slightly cheaper but still more at the high end of steak restaurants.

The latest Pacifica restaurant is very classy but the dress code is quite relaxed. You can be very dressy in suits and dresses or you can be respectably presentable in casual shirts/T-shirts and jeans and shoes. Shorts are not allowed I think.

The appetizers there are quite good but the portions can be small. I've had the salads which are OK but the lobster bisque there is very good. The mains are of course the steaks where there are different cuts and sources from Australia to the USA and also from Japan, meaning there are angus steaks, USDA prime steaks and Australian Wagyu beef I believe and the Kobe beef. I've only tried the angus steaks (very good) and the USDA prime steaks (insanely delicious) but a little scared to try either the Wagyu or the Kobe as they are very expensive . I've only tried the rib-eye which is my favorite but they have other cuts too like the fillet mignon and they also have poultry (chicken/duck), lamb and fish. I've only tried the steaks though the wait staff have been trying to get me to try the duck breast with chocolate sauce.

One thing that is good about the Pacifica compared to places like Prime etc is the steak price is inclusive of 2 sides, while the other places charges extra for their sides. I've tried the asparagus (good big ones not little ones), the artichokes, sauteed greens, baked potatoes and baked fingerling potatoes baked in beef or duck fat I can't remember (very delicious - recommended). The portion of the sides are good, they are not stingy with the amounts.

I've never ordered the dessert as I was normally quite full by this time but petit-fours are complimentary with my coffee which are very tasty. Highly recommended restaurant.

1  Thank Kamarol
Reviewed October 15, 2010

firstly i'd like to thank Azura for giving us the most fantastic experience at the Pacifica. I could not ask for better. I've never before been waited on as professionally as this girl! nothing was of trouble to her and everything was done with a smile!!

this place really is outstanding!! On arriving i was a little chilly and was given a pashmina to warm myself up!! the food was nothing i had tasted before and the chef was not only extremely talented but also very generous by giving us little extra tasters during our evening. We honestly spent over two hours here and never once felt like we needed to leave anytime soon.

once we finally decided to leave we were escorted to the lift and personally taken down by Azura to the nite-club which was very chic and very classy!! even better when we were greeted by the manager with two glasses of champagne!!

It was the perfect end to our honeymoon!! you really have to experience the beautiful food and awesome staff at the pacifica x