“Best Banana Leaf Rice”

Devi's Corner
Ranked #407 of 4,105 Restaurants in Kuala Lumpur
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Malaysian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Best Banana Leaf Rice”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

The restaurant is divided into two section. The ground floor serves normal south indian food while the second floor serves banana leaf rice. Go to the 2nd floor and order banana leaf rice. The curries are thick and rich (with chunks of meats and bones). Forget the normal fish, chicken and vegetarian curries. Here they serve Crab curry, Mutton curry and thick Goan fish curry. It's the best banana leaf rice in KL.

Visited February 2013

• Polish first
Bangkok, Thailand
“Good food !”
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We normally go to Devi's during weekends when we are in KL, partly for roti Canai, partly for dinner. Today dinner. Food is good, waiters may vary a bit, but today friendly and efficient. It's not a great place, but very reasonable prices and food ok. Before you pay, calculate your amount to be paid - one if the ladies at the cashier has a tendency to key in wrong figures and always upwards

Kuala Lumpur
“Appalling drop in standard!”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I've been a frequent customer at Devi's for their banana leaf rice for more than five years now. It used to be so good that I was absolutely addicted to it, and would bring friends and family from out of town to try it whenever they were in KL.

However, their standards have dropped like crazy over the past year, especially in terms of the service. The waiters were once quick and friendly, but now the same waiters are impatient, pushy, slow and unaccommodating.

I came here about two months ago on a weekend afternoon and the whole place was packed. After finally finding a seat, my partner and I had to wait more than 15 minutes for the banana leaf to be served to us. As if this wasn't bad enough, all of the tables around us had their leaves served before us, despite arriving AFTER us. Not surprisingly, one of the tables were a family of Caucasians. Not only that, it took an additional 5 minutes for the cucumber and various chutney to be served, and another 5 minutes for the vegetables. I also ordered capati instead of rice as soon as I sat, and that took another 5-10 minutes to arrive. The last straw was when I went to pay, the head waiter tried to charge me for two pieces of capati instead of the one piece that I took. He was insistent that I had both pieces, and only relented after I flat out refused to pay for it.

I went again today with my parents. Again, I wanted to order capati instead of rice. As I was asking for the capati, the waiter just started piling rice on my leaf even when I tried to stop him. One of the waiters also told me that they didn't serve capati during lunch, and only relented when I said I've ordered capati during lunch previously. But by then I couldn't do anything as they had already given me rice and I did not want to waste food. The quality of food didn't make up for this either. The crab curry was bland, as were the vegetables.

tl;dr This once awesome banana leaf rice place has become a sub-par, mediocre shadow of its former self. I would probably not return for another visit in the near future.

• Visited September 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great food and good value for the money”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

As i have a few coworkers living in this area, I've had the opportunity to visit the location in Bangsar several times. I must say that although Indian food is one of my lesser favorite foods, I've always had great meals here. As several of the other reviewers have mentioned, the Tandori chicken is absolutely great. But they also offer a buffet setup if you wish to pick and choose on your own. As for the price, it is very reasonable and very much worth the money. Four of us had dinner there for a total cost of approx 40myr (apprx 13 usd). To compare, the same four of us had lunch in a 'regular' Indian restaurant the next day, and we paid 140myr.
BTW - it is open 24x7x365.

• Visited August 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Below expectations”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Heard much about this place so decided to try it out.
Overall most prob won't be coming back cus even tho the curries, and dhalls are free and in abundance, price for food is a bit steep as compared to other dinings in this area for similiar food in similiar environments.
and service was nothing great. Had to call many times for ordering and for bills to be made.

• Visited June 2013