Having stayed in Penang for eight days I was hoping to stay in the Traders KL for five days, but the price was just a little too steep, despite the Guest Relations officers in Traders Penang trying to get me a good deal, but it wasn’t happening.
After a quick search on the internet I found a deal for the Garden Hotel & Residence KL in the Executive Deluxe Room. Although, I had booked all my flights, plus Thai and Penang Hotels months ahead I was hoping for any last minute deal for only five nights in Kuala Lumpur. Upon my arrival at the Garden Hotel and Residence you have to check in on the 29th floor. This is a new property on top of a shopping mall, very handy for shoppers.
Our first impressions were very positive; we had a room on the 27th floor, which was up on the club floor. The style of this room was a modern design, bright bold colour scheme and lots of wood. The room offered a great view over the city, facing the Petronas Towers in the distance. On top of this we could get three items of clothes cleaned every day.
This hotel was not in the heart of the city, but KL is certainly not California or Tokyo, so it was easy to get around using the Rail system, and Mid Valley train station is only one stop into KL Sentral. Upon arrival we had a couple of minor niggles, first the keyless lock started playing up would not close properly, someone came straight away, then some of the electrics went, in our room but I reported this to House Keeping and went out for dinner and when we came back it was all fixed. But following that, we had no further problems during our stay.
The bathroom was good with plenty of glass and to be honest there was no issues with water running over the floor or damp smells whatsoever. If I had any problem it was the toilet door that occasionally would stick. This was a heavy laminate shatterproof door, and I imagine because of the weight would shift, as the hinges drop, I reported this.
Breakfast offered a wide choice of western, Asian choices on offer and yes as a popular hotel it was quite busy at times. Contrary to what has been written the tables were not dirty or filled with dirty plates. In our five days we never observed this apart from when a guest had just left the table and then someone else would rush to go and sit at the table before hotel staff had a chance to clean it. This being Asia we never, apart from breakfast, had a meal at the hotel or drank in the bar which seemed to be busy every time we passed.
Every morning I used the gym, which had outside members or it could have been people from the residence using it. But this was a nice modern well spaced out place with modern equipment. It was not busy at 6.30am when I was using it; my only issue in a modern place like this, there was no sauna or steam room but did have an outside swimming pool with great views. I didn’t find the changing room small at all, I have seen smaller. But whoever designed this area should really have put in a sauna and steam room.
This a great hotel for people that like shopping, although the shops here are mainly the types I can easily find in Europe, not much by way of local products. Even Borders Books which surprised me, since they had closed many of the branches in the UK. On the ground floor of this mall were many shops that specialised in catering to serious women’s pampering, my wife kept disappearing down there for hours.
The club lounge was open from 5-7pm for snacks etc, but as I would busy catching up on TV content, on my laptop, that was I watching on the TV in the room via HDMI (sad I know, but this is one of the few times I can catch up on whole TV series). I asked the wife to bring me a coffee on her return. Staff would not let her take one coffee down for some reason, I went up to ask why and they said all food & drink had to be consumed there. This was a bit strange and odd, I am not sure what they thought was going on here whether they were under the impression I was having a party in my room and was sneaking the odd coffee and cookie to another guest, not entitled to such worldly pleasures.
On customer service, both the wife and I found the hotel staff polite, responsive to our requests, and helpful. As it was my birthday on one of the days I was there, I was surprised to come back to my room to find a birthday card and cake, which was a pleasant surprise. I have read some of the negative accounts about the staff being not too helpful, but to be honest apart from not allowing us to take a coffee back to our room, I have no complaints about the staff. On common sense when our cleaning was returned, I have been in hotels that just leave these on the bed, here this was placed in the walldrobe.
When checking out this was effortless, to be honest although I checked out in the main lobby, and not in the club lounge as I could not be bothered to go up to check out then come down. I asked for a taxi to take us to KL Sentral so we could take the Express Rail Link to the LCCT airport, for our Air Asia flight back to Bangkok. On checking out I reported the heavy toilet door that would occasionally get stuck and other minor suggestions.
Overall a for the price, this represented great value at a hotel that was convenient, as we made much use of the metro Mid Valley, which we could get to, walking through the malls or out of the hotel and walk down to the station in five minutes. When I was checking in, I was asked if I had stayed here previously, I said I had stayed in the Plaza the last time I was there and that was in May 1990. And as I was leaving the they were preparing for a ASEAN Summit and this hotel was not yet built along with the Petronas Towers, railway and many other buildings.
Anyway I would certainly recommend this hotel – especially, if the price is right! It is in a good location, ideal for shopping and has excellent transport connections, what more could you ask for.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Designed to meet the needs of business and leisure travelers who seek an enhanced stay, The Gardens-A St Giles Signature Hotel & Residences is centrally located in the vibrant city of Kuala Lumpur within the precinct of The Gardens, Mid Valley City. Its strategic location combined with unpretentious and warm Malaysian hospitality transforms your ordinary hotel stay into a totally fulfilling experience. The hotel's 647 premier accommodations with 448 elegantly furnished guestrooms at The Gardens Hotel and 199 luxuriously spacious fully serviced residences at The Gardens Residences provides total comfort in well-designed and contemporary decor. Privacy is assured for hotel and residences guests as there are separate entrances and lobbies for each yet access to facilities is seamlessly linked through the 5th and 6th floors of the complex. The Gardens-A St Giles Signature Hotel & Residences is the first hotel in Malaysia to offer a non smoking environment throughout its guestrooms and enclosed areas. Linked to The Gardens Mall, it is surrounded by a shopping haven featuring key tenants in the form of Robinsons, Isetan, Premier Golden Screen Cineplex as well as over 200 premium branded boutiques and international offices in The Gardens North & South Towers. Undoubtedly, Mid Valley City, Kuala Lumpur is one of Malaysia's favourite destinations providing the most compelling leisure, hospitality, retail and office opportunity in South East Asia. With so much to offer and the world at your doorstep, The Gardens-A St Giles Signature Hotel & Residences is a smart and inspired choice to stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your The Gardens Hotel & Residences reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Gardens Hotel And Residences
- Gardens Hotel Kuala Lumpur
- The Gardens Hotel Residences