“Yeah, OK, it's not the Ritz :) But hey, it works.”

Wheelers Guest House
Ranked #179 of 332 Kuala Lumpur B&B and Inns
Stathelle, Telemark, Norway
“Yeah, OK, it's not the Ritz :) But hey, it works.”
Reviewed December 14, 2011

It's not the highest class of hostels I've seen, but hey, the room I asked for had an AC, and my room was seemingly clean and OK. As for the hotwater mentioned in other reviews, it was only one working properly. And the booth this was in, didn't have a functioning lock. We lived here for a short week, as some of our friends stayed in Le Village a few hundred meters away. We'd been to Melacca a few days since first coming to KL, and I refused to go back to LeVillage. What a goddamn dump. Wheelers felt like an oasis compared to that. Cheap, even with the AC room, 45RM or so. Central in China Town. Reggae Bar across the street. Quite nice there!
Never ordered food, as Subway is kinda close. Dude with the long, kinda light hair was real nice. The chinese dude hardly ever spoke. I saw one tiny cockroach during the whole stay,

Room Tip: AC. all I can say. AC room 304.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Indonesian first
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Sadly Lonely Planet got this one all wrong, unless a heck of a lot has changed since the book was published 2 years ago. I wish I wasn't so tired from traveling and so weighed down by my baggage perhaps then I wouldn't have settled for the first place I went to and would have spent more time looking for a decent place to stay.

Yeah, the decor is interesting with an aquarium, pink corridors and a wooden walkway as you enter, surrounded by plastic flowers but that's about as far as it goes.

When I entered my room there was hair all over the bed sheets and pillows on both beds. The bed sheets were also torn where the elastic is sewn onto the material and had many holes in it.

Cockroaches were constantly scurrying on top of the communal table where breakfast can be ordered.

Smoking is permitted in the hallway which is a big draw back for non-smokers. The halls also smell of car oil.

When I tried to go to the roof top there was a random man sleeping (perhaps homeless?) on the landing where you exit the elevator on the third floor which gave me a big fright when the doors opened. The rooftop was quite nice though - it has concrete chairs and loungers and plants. They have a tv, play music and sell drinks.

One of the toilets don't flush at all but it's not closed off, so it's left yellow and stewing. There was no hot water in one of the showers-the regulating switch was broken off. The toilets were in poor condition.

But I guess that's what you should expect when you pay RM33 for a room with a shared bathroom. Also expect to pay RM5 for wi-fi. Oh and let's not forget that you have to pay RM1 for a roll of toilet paper as it's not provided!

It has a good location, close to central market and pentaling street.

One of the workers, who works morning shifts at the reception and evening shifts on the rooftop is very pleasant and helpful.

I couldnt wait to get out first thing in the morning.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank IgaMotylska

Travelers are raving about these Kuala Lumpur hotels

United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Can't understand any good reviews of this place.
Because it was in the lonely planet, I thought it would be ok, but I spent a sleepless night and left as soon as it was light.
There was only a dirty sheet and pillow on the bed, with black hairs on it. No top sheet. I asked if there was a blanket. An hour after I'd gone to sleep a guy knocked on my door several times even though the light was off. No way was I opening my door late at night, just didn't trust the people. He saw me go past reception an hour earlier so why would he wait all that time to come to my room and give me a blanket? Strange.
Seemed to be lots of men making a racket. Could have been guests.
No loo paper.
Didn't want to shower, it was all so dirty and the floor in my room looked filthy. Just wanted to get out. Didn't wait for breakfast.
On the plus, the guy on reception at night was friendly and pleasant, but the Chinese guy in the morning quiet and surly.
These people don't deserve to be in business.
Worst guest house I've stayed in and I'm really not too fussy.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Holland, Texas
Reviewed April 27, 2011

avoid from this hostel we can call GAY and HOMOSEX guest house 1st the staff 2nd the way cook food every fariday 3th home made yorgate every things AVOID AVOID AVOID PLS TOO ALL TREVELERS for your one good i lost my id ipod laptope hp money when i stay at room 102 i saspek the lady boy staff and gay boss

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank sabrina55997
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 30, 2011

The entrance could be enough to put you off if you haven't already booked a room there. Unfortunately we had and we were actually relatively surprised when we climbed the stairs in to the reception as it looked quite pleasant but from there on it was downhill. The receptionist couldn't have been more unhelpful if she tried, the rooms had a distinct chemical smell and the walls had some suspicious stains. I've never been in a prison cell before but after staying in Wheelers I feel like I've done a stretch of time! The location and price are the only saving grace but I'm sure there are nearby guesthouses which will at least provide service with a smile and won't charge you extortionate fees for WI-FI. AVOID!

Room Tip: Shop around chinatown
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2011

The entrance to the guesthouse is the first warning that this is a horrible place to stay. The stairwell is littered with graffiti, some over 2 years old, showing pictures of naked women, cocks and stupid quotes. The fact that they haven't decided to take the time to paint over it in over 2 years means this place is doomed. The staff are the worst. The woman/man (we're not quite sure, nor were the other guests) who covers the day shift not ONCE smiled, wouldn't even remove herself from the seat to go to the fridge for guest's drinks and is just plain unfriendly!! The rooftop bar is a joke too, the barman will actively discourage you from relaxing there if you don't buy drinks. Fact - this time next year this place will be closed due to a lack of guests.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank cranmer56
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2011

Hard to find as sign is high up. Entrance stairwell is horrible - like being in a nasty car park. The reception area is kitsch and colourful. Receptionist unfriendly. Room like a prison cell with minimal furniture and no natural light. Toilet/shower area clean. Our room stank of chemicals and this seemed to come from the mattress so I assume it was bed bud treatment. This place is cheap (30RM for double room with fan and shared bathroom plus 10RM key deposit) but I found it horribly depressing. We only stayed one night and found a much nicer place (Monkee Inn) round the corner for 50RM - a bit more but it has great communal area so you don't have to be out all day in the rain. There's no way I'd have wanted to sit in our room at Wheelers.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple